Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt…Turbo or Lo and Slow?

Options
tdub4
tdub4 Posts: 124
edited May 2023 in EggHead Forum
Cooking a pork butt for dinner around 6pm Saturday. Pork will probably be 8-9 lbs. What is your preference? If lo and slow, what’s your favorite recipes and temp?

I have done turbo so was leaning towards lo and slow, but I am not really keen on waiting until 2am to start it, but dont want it to end to early either if I put on too early.  Any thoughts?

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,031
    Options
    A solid option is a hybrid.  You smoke it at a low temp until it hits the stall, around 160-170F.  Then wrap in foil and bump the temp of the BGE up quite a bit, to say 350.  The butt will cruise right through the stall, which dramatically reduces the overall cook time.

Expect that to take 6-7 hrs total for a 9 lb butt.  Then FTC it for up to 4 hrs and pull when you're ready to serve.  It'll come out great.

You sacrifice some bark this way but you get plenty of smoke in the pork and it always comes out pretty tender.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Do it ahead of time, get a good night's rest, and reheat the pork in a roaster.  Or reheat sous vide if you have it.

I won't miss sleep for a pork butt.  Maybe a little sleep for a brisket, but not a pork butt.  They are just as good reheated.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • tdub4
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    Do it ahead of time, get a good night's rest, and reheat the pork in a roaster.  Or reheat sous vide if you have it.

I won't miss sleep for a pork butt.  Maybe a little sleep for a brisket, but not a pork butt.  They are just as good reheated.
    Are you saying cook it in the day tomorrow (Friday) and get the meat all pulled. And then on Saturday night heat the shredded meat in the sous vide? What temp would you do the sous vide at?
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I just put a “soon to be” peach but out to thaw. Gathered all of my components of my brine recipe, and currently working on my dry rub. I have the peach preserves at the ready, and my peach wood to smoke with. 

This weekend my friends. It is going to be great!

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    Options
    @YukonRon with a plan like that you'd better get a batch of slushies going too!
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,432
    Options
    tdub4 said:
    Langner91 said:

Are you saying cook it in the day tomorrow (Friday) and get the meat all pulled. And then on Saturday night heat the shredded meat in the sous vide? What temp would you do the sous vide at?
    Yes do that. I like adding some apple cider vinegar during reheat. 

The hybrid process is awesome too!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • YukonRon
    Options
    FrostyEgg said:
    @YukonRon with a plan like that you'd better get a batch of slushies going too!
    I do have tremendous respect for your insight of wondrous events, seldom enjoyed or perhaps not even known of, by mere mortal men.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,669
    Options
    All good advice above. I vote hybrid. 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,464
    Options
    First up- @YukonRon - Glad you have surfaced.  Trust all is well down in Mitch's neighbourhood (nod).  B)
    Regarding the butt cook- a side benefit that needs to seriously considered is the time spent in the supervisory adult beverage window.  Clearly any accelerated cook will negatively impact such opportunity.  That's all I've got!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tdub4
    Options
    Ok…I think I may try the hybrid version. I have some commitments tomorrow so will need to do fresh cook on Saturday. Should I go 250 to start or lower?  
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,669
    edited May 2023
    Options
    250 is fine. I usually just see where mine settles in and leave it alone anywhere between 225-275

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I agree w not losing sleep over a butt. I usually turbo but if it seems to he getting dry I'll wrap with some liquid anyway. I use those small cans mango juice. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,911
    Options
    Too late now - but I have been a big fan of turbo butts for MANY years! And over all these years I have never found ANY difference IN THE TASTE nor gotten ANY feedback from anybody thinking there is ANY tasting difference!!!

Anyway I have TURBO BUTTED  6 and 8 butts for several events...so MAYBE I just might have some creditability... the saying "Lo and Slo" might sound cool to some folks, but honestly...save yourself some time and effort as no one will have clue either way!!!
  • tdub4
    Options
    RRP said:
    Too late now - but I have been a big fan of turbo butts for MANY years! And over all these years I have never found ANY difference IN THE TASTE nor gotten ANY feedback from anybody thinking there is ANY tasting difference!!!
    Not too late 😊. I have a day to decide for sure. Hybrid sounded good but could fall back to turbo still. 

Appreciate all of the advice and insight above! I haven’t been doing anything for a while with the egg and glad to see the community is still strong to provide some help!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Provided that you have Saturday open, load up your egg with charcoal, and light it Fri night. Check that it’s cruising along at 225-250 before turning in for the night. 

Wake up Sat morning , bump the temp up to 275ish, and throw the butt on. See where you are in the process after lunch. Not in the stall yet? Bump the temp up. Stuck in the stall? Bump the temp up. Past the stall? Keep going… you should be done in time. If it’s done a couple of hours before service, wrap it, FTC, and pull it when ready to serve. 

Having said all that, I love an overnight cook. Waking up to the yard smelling heavenly, and cracking the egg open to behold a beautifully smoked hunka meat, is indeed one of life’s many joys. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,688
    Options
    Just put one on.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    edited May 2023
    Options
    tdub4 said:
    Langner91 said:

I don't think anyone answered your question above, but if you are feeding it to guests, the FDA recommends 160-165°F.  That's a safe temp.  Flatten the bags out when you seal them and they will reheat faster and more thoroughly than a "blob" of pork in a bag.

Great thread!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I’m with @RRP—100%. I do not fool with L/S. And personally, if it isn’t a method I’m very comfortable with I wouldn’t “practice” with any pressure to feed on a timeframe. You want to try a new method, practice when time is irrelevant, there are no obligations and lots of time for relaxing with a beverage. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,117
    Options
    Turbo at 350 until the stall then drop in a DO with Apple Cider Vinegar and a cut up onion until tender.

Whole process 4-5 hours
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    I’m with @RRP—100%. I do not fool with L/S. And personally, if it isn’t a method I’m very comfortable with I wouldn’t “practice” with any pressure to feed on a timeframe. You want to try a new method, practice when time is irrelevant, there are no obligations and lots of time for relaxing with a beverage. 
    Except that pork butt is very forgiving on the BGE.  You can cook it six different ways and it will please a group of guests, no problem.  

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,525
    Options
    I've done both standard and turbo method. The only thing with the turbo method is that you end up with a very hard/dry bark, and it doesn't shred nicely ... end up with hard bits in your pulled pork. So, you really end up removing this part, which leads to meat loss.  

The solution is to wrap when you've smoke it enough ... and when you hit a stall point (like around the 3h to 4h mark, and about 150F to 160F internal).
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    The discussion has reached the point of analysis paralysis. 

@tdub4 - i suggest that you let your timing/time frame (including availability of adult libations) dictate which method you choose.

Pork butts are forgiving, even if ex-spouses are not. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    First up- @YukonRon - Glad you have surfaced.  Trust all is well down in Mitch's neighbourhood (nod).  B)
    Regarding the butt cook- a side benefit that needs to seriously considered is the time spent in the supervisory adult beverage window.  Clearly any accelerated cook will negatively impact such opportunity.  That's all I've got!
    Thank you sir. Hoping all is well. Very happy to return. Hoping to become much more active.
    We have been busy planning our next phase in life, and Mitch’s home is doing well. 

We have been traveling frequently, careers, vacations, and a celebration defeating cancer. Life is good. Had a couple of $hi+ Happens” moments to deal with, but they are done and we have no plans to revisit.

I am in total agreement with the supervisory experience of the low and slow. The right size at 225° should absolutely put a dent in my Rum, Bourbon, or wine. 

As a gift of recovery, our friends in Houston sent me a monster bottle of my favorite bourbon, so that is in the crosshairs for sure, for the entire process.

Stay healthy and well my friend. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,464
    Options
    @YukonRon - Very much appreciate the update.  Glad all the recent challenges are in the rear-view mirror and all clear ahead.  Trust the next chapter in life's great adventure is rounding into form. 
    Stay healthy and safe out there.
    Regarding the forum-it ebbs and flows like always however, the Off-Topic section has gained traction over the past year or so.  Some entertaining threads are over there.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I've done both standard and turbo method. The only thing with the turbo method is that you end up with a very hard/dry bark, and it doesn't shred nicely ... end up with hard bits in your pulled pork. So, you really end up removing this part, which leads to meat loss.  

The solution is to wrap when you've smoke it enough ... and when you hit a stall point (like around the 3h to 4h mark, and about 150F to 160F internal).
    This is my experience doing turbo with butts over 7-7.25 lbs.  I would 100% do hybrid.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,589
    Options
    @YukonRon. Hi Ron you are one of my favorites on the forum. Glad all is good now and a big welcome back sir!!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • tdub4
    Options
    Ok team…new question. I opted for the hybrid method and we are on at 235 degrees. It crossed my mind it could still be done too early. I know I can FTC, which I will do, but could I buy some time by keeping it in the stall for a period of time? 

When I’ve done turbo in the past, when I wrap it at 160, it only takes another hour or so to get to temp. So, could I leave it in the stall for say an hour (or whatever is needed) before wrapping it to finish it off? Or, if I am planning to wrap, does that need to happen  as soon as it hits the 160ish mark. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    tdub4 said:
    Ok team…new question. I opted for the hybrid method and we are on at 235 degrees. It crossed my mind it could still be done too early. I know I can FTC, which I will do, but could I buy some time by keeping it in the stall for a period of time? 

When I’ve done turbo in the past, when I wrap it at 160, it only takes another hour or so to get to temp. So, could I leave it in the stall for say an hour (or whatever is needed) before wrapping it to finish it off? Or, if I am planning to wrap, does that need to happen  as soon as it hits the 160ish mark. 
    You can absolutely leave it in the stall before wrapping.  In fact you can just keep smoking it along without wrap if you think it’s really going too  fast.