Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maybe OT- Southern Summer Classic

Options
ksmyrl
ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
Made a run to the local "local market" during lunch. Grabbed a few of these beauties. Still early for tomatoes here in East GA but these are from Northern Florida according to the sign. 

Fresh tomato. Fresh bakery soft white bread. Mayo on both slices. Salt and pepper. 

As Braves outfielder Otis Nixon said in 1992 "It just don't get no better". Looking forward to lots of fresh tomato sammies this season. 

Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I used to love those. Huge sloppy mess of goodness.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,472
    Options
    Love tomato season!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    Options
    Short growing season up here in MN so we just got our tomato plants in the ground. Can't wait for some fresh off the vine!

I really gotta find some Duke's and see what all the hype is about.
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    edited May 2023
    Options
    @FrostyEgg the hype may be the fact that it takes me, and I'm sure many others, back to when I was a kid, sitting on grandma's back porch literally eating tomato sandwiches with her and grandpa on a steamy afternoon in Savannah GA. Extra sweet tea does the same for me. Back when there were no cell phones, email addresses, and folks knew and helped their neighbor. 

Sorry...back to work now. Remotely of course thanks to the internet, laptops, Cell phones, and email addresses...lol
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    Love ‘em. I’ll eat them until the acid hurts my lips/mouth. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Needs more bacon.
    NOLA
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,950
    Options
    Yeah I tend to riff on this theme too by adding some bacon and then some lettuce.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Yeah I tend to riff on this theme too by adding some bacon and then some lettuce.  

Don't forget the spicy honey mustard 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ike
    Ike Posts: 291
    Options
    Toast that white bread, include what the others suggested, then you have a sandwich fit for a king
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • Bubba107
    Bubba107 Posts: 11
    Options
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I have been fortunate to find good maters all winter this past year. My produce establishment here in Ellijay gets theirs from Tennessee Amish, I assume they are grown in greenhouses. Looking forward to the local (later), for mater sammies. You are spot on with fresh bread and Dukes. Enjoy your eatin. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I have been fortunate to find good maters all winter this past year. My produce establishment here in Ellijay gets theirs from Tennessee Amish, I assume they are grown in greenhouses. Looking forward to the local (later), for mater sammies. You are spot on with fresh bread and Dukes. Enjoy your eatin. 
    Same here.  The past few years I have been buying an "on the vine" brand that they sell at the local grocer.  Closest I have ever found to home-grown!

I drove by the place once, by accident, and it is a HUGE grow house.  At night, you can see it for miles!  I fear they built it in hopes another botanical product becomes "legal" and they will quit growing tomatoes.  

Yours sounds more sustainable as I doubt the Amish will transition from tomatoes to the Devil's lettuce.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    BUFFALOMOOSE Posts: 373
    Options
    BLT's at home for sure. However when someone in the office brings in fresh tomatoes there is nothing better than a toasted tomato sangwich with lots of mayo with SPOGOS for the win.
    South Buffalo, New York