Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you use your Souv Vide?

Comments

• otter
    otter Posts: 340
    I have always wondered how safe using/cooking with plastic is. Lots of PFAS all around us now….?
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • I like doing asparagus with my Anova. Great texture every time. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    None of mine have it.  Doesn’t make sense to me.  Another thing that can break and most of us never change the temp 
    If you mean the wifi, I’ve only wanted it to ensure consistent temps while off-site. If I’m cooking 30 hrs and am out for the day at work or running errands, I need to know if I’ve lost power or if the machine has stopped because a low-water alarm was triggered - both for food safety and to obtain the results I’m after. 
  • nolaegghead
    None of mine have it.  Doesn’t make sense to me.  Another thing that can break and most of us never change the temp 
    If you mean the wifi, I’ve only wanted it to ensure consistent temps while off-site. If I’m cooking 30 hrs and am out for the day at work or running errands, I need to know if I’ve lost power or if the machine has stopped because a low-water alarm was triggered - both for food safety and to obtain the results I’m after. 
    That’s not a problem I’ve ever had, but legit for sure.
    Beef base and lots of maras pepper, 10 hours at 130F, fridge for a couple days before cutting.
    edited March 2023
    Beef base and lots of maras pepper, 10 hours at 130F, fridge for a couple days before cutting.
    Edited on account of this being a family forum.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 579
    Good lord man... incredible.
  • BigBuford
    BigBuford Posts: 78

If you need a reason or two to own a SV here are a few.  I second the ease of hosting a big gathering.  I routinely do tritips, prime rib, hanger steaks, beef short ribs, pork tenderloins, pork loin, lamb, carrots, etc.  America’s Test Kitchen’s Sv for Everyone I’d an excellent cookbook to up your game.

How are you getting the bark?
  • @BigBuford Refrigerate after SV, dry with paper towels, apply neutral oil, apply rub, sear as a normal steak.  Carefully monitor internal temperature while grilling.  
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    @BigBuford Refrigerate after SV, dry with paper towels, apply neutral oil, apply rub, sear as a normal steak.  Carefully monitor internal temperature while grilling.  
    This right here!  Chilling before searing upped my steak game tremendously.  Even a 30min rest on the counter in the bag helps a bunch.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Photo Egg said:

Vacuum Seal brisket and Sous Vide to warm up.
    Brisket Tacos for the win
    What Anova is that?  Red anodized and fancy screen?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    I am probably going to step in it here but why do people wear surgical gloves when handling bbq?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• bbracey21
    bbracey21 Posts: 319
    edited March 2023
    For me it’s mainly to keep my hands clean and not having to wash them over & over. Just dispose of the glove and you’re good to go.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Photo Egg said:

It’s an older Anova and no longer made.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    Photo Egg said:
    Photo Egg said:

How old is old? This is my 2014 Kickstarter Anova unit. Since day 1 it was off by few degrees according to two Thermapens, should have returned it for exchange. The discrepancy is not linear so I have to use a Thermapen to keep it honest for each cook. The blue dial wheel is also wonky so phone is needed to set temp/time via BT. Guess this is what you call bleeding edge, lol.
    canuckland
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,865
    bbracey21 said:
    For me it’s mainly to keep my hands clean and not having to wash them over & over. Just dispose of the glove and you’re good to go.
    This for me.  I will wear a glove on just one hand, so it lets me keep one hand “clean” and one “dirty”.  

The other thing I’ve found is if you’re serving a crowd, people are generally more comfortable watching you pick up a piece of meat to make a sandwich or a plate if you’re wearing gloves.  Nobody knows how much you’ve washed or not washed your hands.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Photo Egg said:
    Photo Egg said:

How old is old? This is my 2014 Kickstarter Anova unit. Since day 1 it was off by few degrees according to two Thermapens, should have returned it for exchange. The discrepancy is not linear so I have to use a Thermapen to keep it honest for each cook. The blue dial wheel is also wonky so phone is needed to set temp/time via BT. Guess this is what you call bleeding edge, lol.
    I have the same model as well. I sent it back for replacement for a few reasons. Took some time but they swapped it out and 2nd unit was much better.
    My biggest gripe is the rubber coating starts to get tacky.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    Photo Egg said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Photo Egg said:

I have the same model as well. I sent it back for replacement for a few reasons. Took some time but they swapped it out and 2nd unit was much better.
    My biggest gripe is the rubber coating starts to get tacky.
    So it's post 2014? Mine is still in pristine cosmetic condition, the duct tape is preventative measure to reduce stress on the power cord where it connects to the unit.
    canuckland
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,182
    edited March 2023
    Photo Egg said:
    Photo Egg said:

I have what looks like the same one - minus the electrical tape. Bought it on Kijiji a long time back for $100 or so, with some accessories included. Mine performs like a champ on all fronts. 
  • bbracey21 said:
    This for me.  I will wear a glove on just one hand, so it lets me keep one hand “clean” and one “dirty”.  

The other thing I’ve found is if you’re serving a crowd, people are generally more comfortable watching you pick up a piece of meat to make a sandwich or a plate if you’re wearing gloves.  Nobody knows how much you’ve washed or not washed your hands.
    I find this approach most relevant when seasoning meat and then throwing it on the grill. Gloved hand to handle the meat, gloveless hand to sprinkle on the rub. Carry the meat out to the grill with the “dirty” hand, open the grill with the clean hand. Clean and dirty working in harmony, each with their respective roles of equal importance. 

Sometimes use them for car maintenance and painting, too. But I try to use them as sparingly as possible. 
  • nolaegghead
    Michael Jackson would have approved.  Not the beer guy.
    Michael Jackson would have approved.  Not the beer guy.

I find it interesting that TSA agents use the same pair of gloves all day.  They are worn to protect the agent, not you.  Next time they pat you down, remember those same gloves patted down that last 10hrs of the dirty unwashed masses.

Then remember that after going to the loo, a person pulls up their pants, buttons them, then buckles their belt before washing their hands.  Then the agent feels around your waist band collecting all that fecal matter on their gloves, then transfer it to the next person they pat down.
  • nolaegghead
    Stop it, you’re making me hungry
    You get patted down often, @ozzie_isaac ?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited March 2023
    Legume said:
    You get patted down often, @ozzie_isaac ?
    At least a few times a week, doesn't everybody?
  • Michael Jackson would have approved.  Not the beer guy.

I find it interesting that TSA agents use the same pair of gloves all day.  They are worn to protect the agent, not you.  Next time they pat you down, remember those same gloves patted down that last 10hrs of the dirty unwashed masses.

Then remember that after going to the loo, a person pulls up their pants, buttons them, then buckles their belt before washing their hands.  Then the agent feels around your waist band collecting all that fecal matter on their gloves, then transfer it to the next person they pat down.
    Some of us prefer not to think about these things.