Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Replacement spring bands for Larges gotten any better?

Options
2»

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    About my trip to ACE with my handy tape measure in hand...

I measured the gap on my old band and it is 19.75" and then since I was concerned about how much the new band caused the dome to lean back I measured mine to be 10.5" of space before I hit my back brick wall.

Then off to ACE. The comparable opening is 16.5" vs. the 19.75" and I can live with that.

As for the backward tilt distance it appears to be 7" so that as well won't be an issue for me anyway.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • sdiperna
    sdiperna Posts: 26
    Options
    Ron I just changed my bands yesterday with the new style. They interfere with my nest handler from 2014. Called bge cust svc and they are sending me curved brackets. Thank you bge. But I can say I was skeptical about new band quality but they seem to be ok. I say give them a whirl. 
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    About my trip to ACE with my handy tape measure in hand...

I measured the gap on my old band and it is 19.75" and then since I was concerned about how much the new band caused the dome to lean back I measured mine to be 10.5" of space before I hit my back brick wall.

Then off to ACE. The comparable opening is 16.5" vs. the 19.75" and I can live with that.

As for the backward tilt distance it appears to be 7" so that as well won't be an issue for me anyway.
    I just hung up from talking with Tim himself at the Ceramic Grill Store there in Denton, TX. One Large new band is on it's way!
  • RRP
    Options

I just hung up from talking with Tim himself at the Ceramic Grill Store there in Denton, TX. One Large new band is on its way!
    GEEEZ - typo…I meant TOM not Tim!
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

i dont like the new band at all on my large, doesnt open as much as the old band and theres a big air gap in back now. the old bands fit tight with no gasket
    That's an easy fix.  Give me a facetime call if you want to fix. I can walk you through it. -Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• RRP
    Options
    Finally found the time and weather to get my new bands installed on my 23 year old Large. I went from a half inch underbite that I have lived with for years to a 3/8" overbite. I'm maxed out in the slots so there is no way to pull the dome back so I'll just live with that now!

But all in all I am pleased with the new band! I honestly don’t get the complaints that it doesn’t open up further! 

My advice is if you have a problem with an old band then go retrofit with a new one! And I highly recommend the Ceramic Grill Store to buy it from! 
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    Finally found the time and weather to get my new bands installed on my 23 year old Large. I went from a half inch underbite that I have lived with for years to a 3/8" overbite. I'm maxed out in the slots so there is no way to pull the dome back so I'll just live with that now!

But all in all I am pleased with the new band! I honestly don’t get the complaints that it doesn’t open up further! 

My advice is if you have a problem with an old band then go retrofit with a new one! And I highly recommend the Ceramic Grill Store to buy it from! 
    BTW...to you old timers...yes, I "double-nutted" my two band bolts after I had tightened and bent them both!
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    How about new bands for XL.   are they this way

I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    Golden at BGE support said the new XL bands were same as older ones as far as opening is concerned.    He said only Large opening changed with new bands

I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston