Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

White Paper On Cryptocurrency, By Dennis Weaver

Options
dbCooper
dbCooper Posts: 2,081
This is a longish read, 39 pages, that came out last December.  For those interested, it provides a good breakdown the of cryptocurrency ecosystem and advocates for the need for regulation.  Worth your time if you have curiosity about that area of the economy.
"The Death of Cryptocurrency
The Case for Regulation"

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
Great Plains, USA

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,975
    Options
    I haven’t spent a lot of time studying crypto, but the various coins have always struck me as different variations on the classic “pump and dump” approach to fleecing the public.  

I’ll definitely check out the white paper.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    When I saw the name Dennis Weaver the name "McCloud" immediately popped into my head as I'm an old guy and Dennis was an actor in a tv show called "McCloud" in the 1970's.
    The name of the author of that paper is Nicholas Weaver. I haven't seen his tv show "The CryptoFiles". :)
    Interesting read but I still don't get the hype with or without government regulations in place. I'm sure tho the brains bigger than mine will sort this all out eventually.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• dbCooper
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    When I saw the name Dennis Weaver the name "McCloud" immediately popped into my head as I'm an old guy and Dennis was an actor in a tv show called "McCloud" in the 1970's.
    The name of the author of that paper is Nicholas Weaver. I haven't seen his tv show "The CryptoFiles". :)
    Interesting read but I still don't get the hype with or without government regulations in place. I'm sure tho the brains bigger than mine will sort this all out eventually.
    @HeavyG
    I remember watching "McCloud", also remember Dennis Weaver in a thriller movie called "Duel".  Not sure how I managed to get Dennis into the thread title, sorry for any flashbacks I induced.  :)
    Great Plains, USA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    HeavyG said:
    @HeavyG
    I remember watching "McCloud", also remember Dennis Weaver in a thriller movie called "Duel".  Not sure how I managed to get Dennis into the thread title, sorry for any flashbacks I induced.  :)
    Yes, I too remember "Duel" a good and somewhat unnerving film.
    Brains are funny things sometimes - it amuses me that seeing Dennis' name the first thing I thought of was a tv show I hadn't seen in 40+ years but I couldn't tell you what I ate for breakfast yesterday.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Dennis Hopper would've loved crypto.
  • dbCooper
    Options
    Since I derailed my own thread before even adding the body to it, I'll add this...
    turns out the movie "Duel" was Steven Spielberg’s feature-length debut.  I haven't seen it since I was a kid.  Remember it as being good, planning to rewatch it soon. 
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/nov/13/duel-at-50-steven-spielberg-debut-thriller

Great Plains, USA
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,975
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    Since I derailed my own thread before even adding the body to it, I'll add this...
    turns out the movie "Duel" was Steven Spielberg’s feature-length debut.  I haven't seen it since I was a kid.  Remember it as being good, planning to rewatch it soon. 
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/nov/13/duel-at-50-steven-spielberg-debut-thriller

Yep, was just about to post that.  Most people probably think of Jaws.  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    You know you are old when a reference to Dennis Weaver means "Chester" from Gunsmoke. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    edited March 2023
    Options
    dbCooper said:

I don't watch movies much, and can't usually contribute at all.  But I  did see The Duel when I was a kid, on TV.  Didn't realize Spielberg was involved until just now.
    I thought the movie was dumber than dirt, it didn't make any sense to me.  Maybe there's some allegory or foreshadowing or other narrative technique that I was missing as a kid, but I'm not anxious to watch it again.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Hard to put the Genie back in the bottle.  People buy crypto for speculation and as a way to facilitate anonymous wire transactions, previously nearly impossible without a 3rd party.

Love it, hate it, it's here to stay. 

I've been following it for years but have never opened a wallet.
    Options
    Hard to put the Genie back in the bottle.  People buy crypto for speculation and as a way to facilitate anonymous wire transactions, previously nearly impossible without a 3rd party.

Love it, hate it, it's here to stay. 

I've been following it for years but have never opened a wallet.
    Oh I don't think it's going away, I just don't see it as a terribly reliable place for one to stash $$$ right now.  
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    On a somewhat-related note, zuckerberg/"Meta" have announced they'll no longer be "supporting" NFTs.  
    I read a series of cryptocurrency articles in  Time  magazine years ago, and it seemed to make sense to me (at that time).  NFTs, much less so; but I don't understand, at all, how one company can/would "support" NFTs in the first place.  I suspect a lot of people, some maybe even smarter than me, will be losing a bunch more money.  
    Funny how, once certain crises fade (COVID, trumplicans) other things keep popping up to take their place.  Sigh.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month