Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Taking Open Pit BBQ Sauce to Next Level

Options
My family loves it and I like it. Anyone have a method to take it to the next level?  I was thinking Habanero Death Dust to crank up the heat and worcestershire, fish sauce, ect to give it umami.  If no one has a recipe, would appreciate any recommended ratios in order to tinker. 
South Buffalo, New York

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    Had to do the Google thing for Open Pit Bbq Sauce , I’m not much of a save guy, but when I do I usually mix with Vinegar and Homey , not really next level but makes a great glaze, and to your point , Fish Sauce for the win
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    Options
    Thanks Larry
    South Buffalo, New York
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    if you make it yourself you could use diced habaneros from the get go. why am i thinking the bottled sauce doesnt use rice and champagne vinegar

Copycat Original Open Pit Barbecue Sauce

February 8, 2022
    Servings: Varies
    Prep: 5 min
    Cook: 2 hr 30 min
    Total: 2 hr 35 min
    Difficulty: Intermediate

By: Michele Tedrick, NBC-HWC, A-CFHC

Ingredients
    • 7 oz of tomato paste (I use Bionaturea organic)
    • 7 oz of organic honey
    • 7 oz of vinegar (I use 1/2 rice and 1/2 champagne vinegar for some complexity)
    • 1 tablespoon of yellow mustard (I use Annie’s organic yellow mustard or similar)
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
    • 1 teaspoon chili powder
    • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1 teaspoon onion powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
    • 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
    Directions
    • Step 1 Place all ingredients in a medium sized pot and stir until honey and spices are completely incorporated.
    • Step 2 Gently heat without boiling until steamy and keep warm on low.
    • Step 3 Baste on meat and cook according to recipe instructions, or serve on the side as a dipping sauce.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it