Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking Cod Filets

Options
I will be egging cod filets Mon/Tue of next week and need advice on best way to cook them. I do not have a cast iron pan and it may be too heavy for me to handle. Please let me know your thoughts, I understand they fall apart easily and cannot be grilled directly on the grill. As well as ways to cook, I would appreciate recipes as well! 
O'Fallon, MO - LBGE 2015

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    I do mine in aluminum foil boats with butter
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• KimberlyO
    KimberlyO Posts: 48
    Options
    Thanks, @ColtsFan, what temp do you cook at? how long? direct/indirect? thanksk!
    O'Fallon, MO - LBGE 2015
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    375ish. Until it flakes. The center cut loins take a little longer. I’m guessing 12-15 minutes 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• KimberlyO
    Options
    do you cook it closed lid direcct? forgive the rookie questions...
    O'Fallon, MO - LBGE 2015
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    ive done them en papillote, either parchment or foil. a stapler makes the parchment easier, veggies, butter, a little wine and some herbs and lemon slices. lots of recipes out there
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Agree with en papillote; little butter, lemon slices, some chopped capers, maybe some thyme.  I do indirect, dome closed 350-375.  Usually 10-12 minutes per inch of thickness.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    I've grilled Alaskan cod filets for fish tacos hot and fast and that works great, but presentation of an intact piece of fish isn't important for tacos. I think the Alaskan cod may be firmer too.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    WOW . . . en papillote . . . totally new concept
    Thanks for posting!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Acn said:
    Agree with en papillote; little butter, lemon slices, some chopped capers, maybe some thyme.  I do indirect, dome closed 350-375.  Usually 10-12 minutes per inch of thickness.

Why would you bother chopping your capers?  (honest question)
    NOLA
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Acn said:

I would, I smash them like garlic with the flat of my knife.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Jstroke
    Options
    @KimberlyO, I think it depends on how many people, and the occasion. Casual dinner with fun friends, the boats are great. Kind of like opening Christmas packages. For more formal or less “fun” friends, I would cook indirect. You could use a baking dish or even a disposable foil pan. Serve as usual with starch and veg
  • KimberlyO
    Options
    Thanks all for your your great input. Your thoughts on this are really appreciated. I think I will make the cod en papillote tomorrow night. It is intimidating, but, will give it a try. I'll let you know how it turns out. 
    O'Fallon, MO - LBGE 2015
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Acn said:

I just like smaller bites of capers.  I think with full berries if you get one, your bite will only taste like caper, and if you don’t get one, you won’t get much, if any, hit of caper.  I think smaller pieces makes for more even distribution.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    Acn said:
    buzd504 said:
    Acn said:

I just like smaller bites of capers.  I think with full berries if you get one, your bite will only taste like caper, and if you don’t get one, you won’t get much, if any, hit of caper.  I think smaller pieces makes for more even distribution.

you can rinse them in a strainer to reduce the heavy salt flavor. i just eat them out of the jar
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Acn said:

Depending on which type of caper you buy some of them are fairly large and are better when chopped up a bit. The ones I use that are in jars with vinegar are the small non-pareils and I rarely chop them up.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• KimberlyO
    Options
    I suppose embarrassing stories need to be told as readily as the successes, so here goes. After finding a simple recipe for my first shot at en papillote, I made two paper packets, each with two layers of zucchini slices, a cod filet, shallot butter, and lemon slices. Even took a picture for the egg forum! So far so good. Got the egg ready at 400*  and did something I still do not understand. I put the packets onto the grate. I will never be able to answer the question "what was i thinking putting two PAPER packets onto a grate over a LIVE fire?". I never put the plate setter on. How is that even possible? How did I not at least notice when laying down the packets? A mystery for sure. 

The result. 8 minutes later. The paper was half burned away. As my wife pointed out, the two layers of zucchini saved the fish. The fish was fine. Nothing to write home about, but, certainly edible. I was worried about the zucchini overcooking, so had cooked asparagus separately and had plenty of vegetables. I think it goes without saying, the zucchini was overcooked. 

Having witnessed what came out of the egg, I am shocked there was anything that could be salvaged for dinner, but, there you have it. We had the fish, and even some of the zucchini was good. Fortunately, it was just the two of us, and I am reminded again what a wonderful mate I have who is able to see the good side of my mistakes!

Thank you, those of you who participated above, I really enjoy the process of deciding how to make a new meal, especially a method I have never tried before. I will be trying this again next week! Hopefully with pictures next time! :-)

happy egging!
    O'Fallon, MO - LBGE 2015
  • Jstroke
    Options
    @KimberlyO, the simple fact is that you asked for and received guidance, attempted said experience, learned and shared the end results and the truthful experience. And as a result we all learned something. Because you can bet your boots, that someone somewhere will think twice before laying down their next (anything) without checking to make sure the GD platesetter is in place. 

Glad it didn’t ruin the cook and everyone had a laugh after the O Sh.. moment. Trust me, we have ALL been there.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    A bit of a simple approach that can yield satisfying results is to dredge your fish in flour and an egg wash before coating in crumbled up chips. I go for salt and vinegar. Then bake to the perfect internal temp.l and serve with sides. 
  • KimberlyO
    Options
    Yum, I will try that. We have recently decided on having fish once per week. Cutting back on our heavy red meat consumption. Fortunately, we do like fish also! 
    O'Fallon, MO - LBGE 2015
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I hear you. Beef is just so flavourful and satisfying but other, leaner proteins are also ripe for throwing into the rotation. Pork chops are another good, healthy, economical alternative.