Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Replacement spring bands for Larges gotten any better?

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
edited March 2023 in EggHead Forum
 my sprung, rusted, old and  twisted band needs to be replaced. I called my HUGE local ACE and they had none and it would not be until this summer before they placed an order! HUH? I then asked if the ACE distribution center for the whole mid-west (a mere 50 miles from here) had any and after the helpful person checked the answer was still no! Guess I’ll just place an order with the CGS tomorrow.

For some reason  this iPad is fighting me…what I wanted to ask …after researching   Here it appears those newer   larger  bands are crap,. Has  the  quality improved? Or should I just try to salvage my old band 
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Ron is it truly rusted out, or simply bent at the tabs and “warped” and twisted? I just touched mine up and found a random orbital sander worked better than a right angle grinder with a wire brush. Gave it good going over and then a few coats of rust oleum. Not brand new, but good enough for another few years. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • RRP
    Well, Sir - since I already figured it was goner I was careless removing it and of course the springs took over and I'm not sure I can even get them off..though I read a cool Harley Davidson trick of using pennies to expand the coils ...IF I can even get them off that hinge! Got a hint how to do that? 

BTW I'm not opposed to cleaning up and salvaging this unit if I can get get those springs off! It really isn't that twisted so I believe I can resolve that issue

Think it over, but I have GOT to get to bed!!!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    RRP said:
    Well, Sir - since I already figured it was goner I was careless removing it and of course the springs took over and I'm not sure I can even get them off..though I read a cool Harley Davidson trick of using pennies to expand the coils ...IF I can even get them off that hinge! Got a hint how to do that? 

BTW I'm not opposed to cleaning up and salvaging this unit if I can get get those springs off! It really isn't that twisted so I believe I can resolve that issue

Think it over, but I have GOT to get to bed!!!

fully open the dome to relieve pressure on the springs, you can easily pop them off prying with a screw driver with the dome open. i dont like the new band at all on my large, doesnt open as much as the old band and theres a big air gap in back now. the old bands fit tight with no gasket
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    @RRP - I installed the new style bands on my large several years ago.  Can you explain why you have the impression they are "crap"?  Mine are of good quality.  Dome alignment is easier than the old style and no adjustment has been needed since installation.  Old ones would get out of alignment regularly.  Your dome opening will be reduced with the new style, that takes some time to get accustomed to.
    The penny hack should work for your springs, but I've never tried it.  My method was to remove the nut from the stud the top of the spring connects to, open the dome, then slide spring off the stud.
    I also purchased the bands from CGS as none were available locally.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    The new bands are nice.  Not sure who feels they are crap, or why.  The amount they open, maybe? 

As @dbCooper says, the open dome angle is different.  I had to give up my "claw" to extract a hot platesetter, but now I just use the eggspander basket anyway.

I am one who strongly recommends the Harley spring trick.  With the dome closed, or slightly raised, you can stick pennies in the spring easily.  That keeps it the same length as you open it and makes removal easy.  You will, however, drop a few pennies during this operation.

Clinton, Iowa
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited March 2023
    I replaced the warped old bands with the new ones under warranty. (Warping was due to doing a clean burn. Shame on me.) The old ones worked fine but I got the new ones because several Eggheads said they fixed the underbite issue. They didn't. During installing the new bands I discovered that the base is out-of-round, so nothing can solve the underbite problem. If I align in the front, then it scrapes and leaks in the back.

My large Egg still has the underbite and now has reduced the dome opening. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't bother with the new bands.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • RRP
    Thanks for all the replies - but I guess I didn't get my point across - I said "I already figured it was goner I was careless removing it and of course the springs took over and I'm not sure I can even get them off".

So the hints about closing it etc don't help my problem as my old bands are laying wide open and "floppy" on my deck - NOT on my egg. 

At this point I think I will give @dbCooper's advice of removing the studs and go from there! Thanks "Coop"!
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    My old bands warped so I had to get the newer ones about 2 years ago. I have a slight overbite but it’s not a big deal. Not sure about quality being better or worse but I do feel the dome is more stable with the newer bands.
    LBGE
    AL
  • BigreenGreg
    BigreenGreg Posts: 581
    Why has someone not already responded “if I had Ron’s money, I’d have half a dozen spare bands ready to go”?
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    edited March 2023
    After a few years my original bands got out of whack and were a PITA to keep adjusting and developed overbite. I bought the new style and they work great, doesn’t open as wide but when fully open the springs are not under tension and can be easily removed by hand. Alignment is great and I’ve had no issues. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Langner91 said:
    The new bands are nice.  Not sure who feels they are crap, or why.  The amount they open, maybe? 

As @dbCooper says, the open dome angle is different.  I had to give up my "claw" to extract a hot platesetter, but now I just use the eggspander basket anyway.

I am one who strongly recommends the Harley spring trick.  With the dome closed, or slightly raised, you can stick pennies in the spring easily.  That keeps it the same length as you open it and makes removal easy.  You will, however, drop a few pennies during this operation.

Who knew all that time and money you spent wrenching on HD’s would actually translate into some other form of useful information. Nice hack sir! So simple yet I’m not sure I would have ever thought of it by myself. 👍🏻
  • RRP
    Looks like fixing vs. going with a replacement is either a crap shoot or a coin flipper at best! 

The biggest complaint I keep seeing is the new bands do not open as wide. Can anyone tell me about how much less? I really think that might be the real tie breaker for me. TIA
  • BigreenGreg
    BigreenGreg Posts: 581
    It’s noticeable Ron, but not enough to be a problem. 
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • RRP
    Thanks - but can you give me even a guesstimate? 2" 4" 6" 8"
  • fishlessman
    dont know how much and did not know until i installed.  look at the above forum banner of the new egg and band. you can see how it doesnt open as high and drops back and down at the hinge area
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    the old bands almost make the egg tippy when the dome is open, the new bands make it more stable
    fukahwee maine

• RRP
    dont know how much and did not know until i installed.  look at the above forum banner of the new egg and band. you can see how it doesnt open as high and drops back and down at the hinge area
    I just had a real head slapping idea...I'm going up to my Ace and check it for myself to see if I can live with it!
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Ron,

Old:

New:

See how much the new dome is still over the base?  

This blog says every accessory still fits.  That is not true, the "Claw" doesn't fit.  Everything else probably does.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    @RRP - I'd say somewhere between 3 - 4 inches. It's so much of a difference that I had to shorten my homemade elevated grate in order to reach food in the back. Same with the raised pizza stone.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • fishlessman
    RRP said:
    I just had a real head slapping idea...I'm going up to my Ace and check it for myself to see if I can live with it!

i believe this is the only cook i may have dad difficulties with, i dropped this settup in all at once fully setup with meat. new dome and i probably would need to put it in stacking it in the egg on grid at a time

2005012055jpg

fukahwee maine

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Hard to tell, but the new bands may not be compatible with certain table setups?
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• fishlessman

its more noticeable if your egg sits on the feet on the ground. looking down you dont see as much
    fukahwee maine

• RRP
    Langner91 said:
    Ron,

Old:

New:

See how much the new dome is still over the base?  

This blog says every accessory still fits.  That is not true, the "Claw" doesn't fit.  Everything else probably does.
    Now I see a new potential issue! It looks like the distance needed when measured say from the back of the base to the furthermost edge of the dome when raised may be the deal breaker for me. I'm going to ACE and do some measuring, but based on what you had said and @fishlessman as well I don't do any stacking cooks so I'm not worried about that. Also with my old style spring hinge that hinge assembly sticks down so far when opened I had to modify my table to account for that problem - but this new hinge won't have that problem! 

PS I'm so glad I am retired so I can fret over these BGE band issues rather than working a job!!! LOL
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    That new band is how my XL opens, slides back a little while it opens.  My XL is from 2013 or so, the shorter lid.
  • Dobie
    The new bands have tabs that prevent the dome from falling out if they get a little loose too. I don’t miss the originals at all but it’s rare I use a second grid.
    Jacksonville FL
  • RRP
    Dobie said:
    The new bands have tabs that prevent the dome from falling out if they get a little loose too. I don’t miss the originals at all but it’s rare I use a second grid.
    Those clips were designed years ago by a retired railroad mechanic egger form IA named "Char-Woody" or C~W for short. He gave the clips and the idea to Ed Fisher as a token of their friendship!
  • Dobie
    They were a good improvement 
    Jacksonville FL
  • RRP
    Dobie said:
    They were a good improvement 
    That went back 23 years ago, but Ed never saw they need, but George from Primo liked the idea and adopted it years and years ago. Then along came somebody at BGE perhaps not even knowing the past and adopted what PRIMO has been doing for all those years! Actually those clips are pretty cheap insurance against fallen, busted NON-WARRANTY dome replacements!