Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kenji Lopez-Alt - dead to me.

13»

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    Maybe bring back the coal oven?
    That's the secret to a proper NY slice
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323

How many coal oven pizza places are still around? Maybe a dozen?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Ozzie_Isaac said:
    Had a friend with had sweet woodfired stoves in his ranch houses.  They were amazing.  Get them glowing red and even on icey nights they would cook you right out of the cabin.  I guarantee you could boil water.  Could instantly sear flesh to the sides too.
    Ooh, think of the party game possibilities!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    HeavyG said:
    DeSantis is doing his bit to win the "You can pry my gas stove from my cold dead fingers" crowd - https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/3841563-desantis-keeps-heat-on-gas-stoves-issue-proposing-tax-exemption/

Funnily enough, from the article:

"In Florida, gas stoves are not particularly prevalent. Just 8 percent of households use natural gas cooking appliances, while 92 percent use electric, according to a federal survey."

That percentage is low for a reason: https://rbnenergy.com/mainline-florida-an-update-of-the-southeast-power-market-pipeline-projects

Don't have an overlay of this pipeline map and cities in Florida which would show how few municipalities have natural gas. The statistic isn't about choice, it's about availability.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    SamIAm2 said:
    Don't have an overlay of this pipeline map and cities in Florida which would show how few municipalities have natural gas. The statistic isn't about choice, it's about availability.
    That makes sense; everyone in FL need A/C but no one needs HVAC heat, kinda uneconomical to run gas lines just for the "cooking elitists"... :wink:  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Even more clear it's just a desantis performance piece.
  • Even in coastal Mississippi gas is not available in all locations. For instance I would have to move across the street.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    Thank goodness we can just put a propane tank under the cabinet and run a line to the stove.,
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    HeavyG said:

Every Grimaldi's franchise location at least. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    This local Pizza Place in Melbourne, FL still does: https://gennapizza.com/
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    if youre in nyc, would you not want a proper slice
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    SonVolt said:
    HeavyG said:

Every Grimaldi's franchise location at least. 
    One of the best restaurant pizzas I have had was Grimaldi's in Las Vegas.  It was right at the start of COVID and my son and I were one of two tables.  Service was fantastic and I am pretty sure they took extra care with the pizza.  I looked and tasted amazing.  Perfectly cooked.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Botch said:
    SamIAm2 said:
    That makes sense; everyone in FL need A/C but no one needs HVAC heat, kinda uneconomical to run gas lines just for the "cooking elitists"... :wink:  
    Turned on the heat this year for a coupe of days.  Don't think I did last year.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    RRP said:
    geeeez I must miss a helluva lot not watching TV!

I have no clue what you guys are referring to
    Just noise in my opinion. I have a gas stove. Cast iron and glass tops don’t mix. They take my ability to purchase a gas stove away, maybe I will build one. Until then……
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Jstroke said:
    RRP said:

Just noise in my opinion. I have a gas stove. Cast iron and glass tops don’t mix. They take my ability to purchase a gas stove away, maybe I will build one. Until then……
    FWIW our stove is glass top. 85% of what I cook on it is done in cast iron.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Ozzie_Isaac
    shtgunal3 said:
    Jstroke said:
    RRP said:

FWIW our stove is glass top. 85% of what I cook on it is done in cast iron.
    Heathen.
  • We inherited an old glass top when we moved here and while I use it with cast iron, it’s definitely marking up the surface. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    We inherited an old glass top when we moved here and while I use it with cast iron, it’s definitely marking up the surface. 
    Glass top induction, or electric? If induction, a thin piece of heat tolerant felt (or something similar) between the pan and glass may help.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    caliking said:
    We inherited an old glass top when we moved here and while I use it with cast iron, it’s definitely marking up the surface. 
    Glass top induction, or electric? If induction, a thin piece of heat tolerant felt (or something similar) between the pan and glass may help.
    Nomex cloth or felt would work.  
    Will an induction burner use electricity if it's turned on but there isn't a pan on it?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Legume said:
    Will an induction burner use electricity if it's turned on but there isn't a pan on it?
    A fraction of what it would if there were a load.  Energy has to go somewhere and manifests as heat or work.  
    Legume said:
    Can verify when I get home, IIRC if beeps then shuts itself off if there's no pan on it.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    Legume said:
    Can verify when I get home, IIRC if beeps then shuts itself off if there's no pan on it.
    Affirmative. When my portable induction cooktop senses nothing or non-compatible pan it flashes "---", beeps few times and shuts off in about 5 secs.
    canuckland
  • caliking said:
    Sorry…. I meant electric. A bit of a pain, but it’s a very old kitchen and we figure we’ll be in kitchen reno mode before too, too long.