Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Guesstimate how much participating in this forum has cost you

13»

Comments

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,908
    I don’t like to think to hard about the running total. Still probably piddling compared to most on here and still cheaper than a boat.
    you know what the acronym BOAT means then I’m sure…
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Probably not as I sold my boat 20 years ago. But back then Boat was a hole in the water that you randomly shoveled cash into.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Congrats techsas!
    Hey guys, sorry, I should have better explained...I was about to buy the boat 13yrs ago....
  • nolaegghead
    The difference between a hole in the water where you throw money and a boat is boat mechanic labor costs.  Sh!ts gonna break, that’s a given.  If you can work on your boat it’s not that expensive except for consumables.  New boats don’t need much maintenance but they are expensive and depreciate as fast as your typical boat loan (which can be much longer than a car loan).
  • nolaegghead
    I mistook the 23 foot for 2023.  My bad!
    Hahaha.   She’s 12 but there was the gestation period.    

Light of our lives!   Wouldn’t trade her for the biggest boat on Earth.   
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    I have to imagine boats are cheaper than horses.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • My sisters family showed horses all over the USA. I told her that a horse was an animal that you shoveled gold in one end and garden fertilizer came out the other. Anyhow niece number two got a scholarship to that school in Lubbock based on her showing horses. What that has to do with engineering 🤷‍♂️
  • TechsasJim
    My sisters family showed horses all over the USA. I told her that a horse was an animal that you shoveled gold in one end and garden fertilizer came out the other. Anyhow niece number two got a scholarship to that school in Lubbock based on her showing horses. What that has to do with engineering 🤷‍♂️
    Good on that  #2 niece!    They have an amazing school for that discipline.   
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    Probably not as I sold my boat 20 years ago. But back then Boat was a hole in the water that you randomly shoveled cash into.
    Bought my boat over thirty years ago. Still on the same 115 Merc.  Pretty much haven't spent much on it at all. The motor is maybe 30k hours past it's life. Not explainable. put a six horse on the boat and try not to run the big motor as much now, it's starting to scare me
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    My sisters family showed horses all over the USA. I told her that a horse was an animal that you shoveled gold in one end and garden fertilizer came out the other. Anyhow niece number two got a scholarship to that school in Lubbock based on her showing horses. What that has to do with engineering 🤷‍♂️
    Scholarship is one of my daughters goals.  Honestly though, just paying out right without horses would be cheaper.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    edited February 2023
    Break Out Another Thousand...always on repairs

I got psuedo lucky and was about to grab a 23' Majek and the day before I was to buy, my wife said she was pregnant with our 2nd kid.

Kiddo will cost me a lot more but I'll love this kid 1000000x more...
    Kids love boats

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• TechsasJim

I got psuedo lucky and was about to grab a 23' Majek and the day before I was to buy, my wife said she was pregnant with our 2nd kid.

Kids love boats

Yes they do, that’s why I have in laws that live on a freshwater lake as opposed to my saltwater dealings and the maintenance associated with it.  

Everyone wins—right?
  • Ozzie_Isaac

Kids love boats

Yes they do, that’s why I have in laws that live on a freshwater lake as opposed to my saltwater dealings and the maintenance associated with it.  

Everyone wins—right?
    Best boat is a friend's boat.
  • TechsasJim

Kids love boats

Everyone wins—right?
    You know the old saying:  if it flies, floats or f…s it’s best to rent
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381

Kids love boats

Everyone wins—right?
    You know the old saying:  if it flies, floats or f…s it’s best to rent
    Unless you can write it off as custom fabrication for your company…..
  • @Ozzie_Isaac - I'm 100% certain that I've spent way way more on horses that I could ever spend on BBQ stuff!
    XL and Small BGEs in South Carolina
  • nolaegghead
    Probably not as I sold my boat 20 years ago. But back then Boat was a hole in the water that you randomly shoveled cash into.
    Bought my boat over thirty years ago. Still on the same 115 Merc.  Pretty much haven't spent much on it at all. The motor is maybe 30k hours past its life. Not explainable. put a six horse on the boat and try not to run the big motor as much now, it's starting to scare me
    2-stroke?  Maybe it’s time to invest in more strokes…

I have a pair of 200 HP Yamaha counter rotating 2-strokes and they aren’t worth much.
    I have a pair of 200 HP Yamaha counter rotating 2-strokes and they aren’t worth much.

ill be watching for a second hand two stroke merc, 90 to 115 hp. i also have a 4 stroke evenrude on back to get me home if needed. reminds me, need to get the starter off and rebuilt before april. thats the week link in that motor. 
    fukahwee maine

• Ozzie_Isaac
    I would love a Hacker-craft 30' runabout.
  • nolaegghead
    I would love a Hacker-craft 30' runabout.
    No joke, me too.  A buddy of mine refurbished one….I had no idea until I saw him with it at the Mandeville wooden boat fest across the lake.  Beautiful.  Some painstaking work.
    Actually it was smaller than 30 feet
    I would be happy with a smaller one too.  Just the shape, the craftsmanship, the everything.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    I would be happy with a smaller one too.  Just the shape, the craftsmanship, the everything.
    I want a hinkley picnic 34 outfitted for fishing. Bge go fund me....
    fukahwee maine