Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sunday Funday Gator Cook!

cmac610
cmac610 Posts: 140
edited January 2023 in EggHead Forum
Been wanting to do a whole gator on the Egg for a while…and today is the day!

Brined this guy overnight in salt, sugar, lemon and Cajun spices and getting ready to trim. Plan is to go Malcom Reed style, remove the tail fat and stuff the tail with cream cheese, jalapeño, bacon and rub. Will probably wrap with bacon to keep it moist and cook indirect. Thinking it’s probably going to take 3-3.5 hours since it’s a fairly small gator (12#). Should be ready by halftime of the Niner’s game!

Going to do a low country “boil” on the Cotton Gin smoker to make sure there’s enough food for the crowd! More to come…

Btw…planning on going LIVE for the cook on IG and YT if anyone is interested in watching - @Cmac.Cooks  
Craig aka Cmac Cooks
Amesbury, MA
#BGETeamGreen #TeamArteflame #TeamBarrelProof
XL BGE, Mini-Max, La Caja China, Arteflame Classic 40, Arteflame One 20, Arteflame Euro 20, Cotton Gin Harvester, Weber Classic, Gozney Dome, Anova wifi Sous Vide.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,182
    This is gonna be epic!  Will be following...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 579
    Oh man...standing by for this one!
  • Waiting for an update! Had alligator once at a place in Chicago 
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,760
    WOW . . . I've never had gator, does it tastes like chicken?  =)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    loco_engr said:
    kind of...just a little different texture.  Very cool post!
  • Pics and tell us how it was. Would love to try this one day.

• "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • cmac610
    loco_engr said:
    It’s actually got a fairly neutral taste. Takes on whatever flavor profile you use. 
    Craig aka Cmac Cooks
    Amesbury, MA
    XL BGE, Mini-Max, La Caja China, Arteflame Classic 40, Arteflame One 20, Arteflame Euro 20, Cotton Gin Harvester, Weber Classic, Gozney Dome, Anova wifi Sous Vide.
  • Nicely done!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • cmac610
    Nicely done!
    Thank you!
    Craig aka Cmac Cooks
    Amesbury, MA
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,547

Definitely deserves the Dam Son!!!!!

That’s just pure magic 👏👏

Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,182
    Great cook.  Way to bring it home. Very creative use of the natural mouthpiece for the hen!!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Awesome cook!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,025
    Super cool. I’ve had @Jupiter Jim ’s alligator sausage (really good) and the carnival “alligator on a stick,” but that’s been it.  I’d try it again.  
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 579
    Awesome! What is the meat consistency like, or how do you remove/serve it once it's done? I've had it fried in nugget form before but I assume this is a bit different.
  • cmac610
    FrostyEgg said:
    Awesome! What is the meat consistency like, or how do you remove/serve it once it's done? I've had it fried in nugget form before but I assume this is a bit different.
    Everyone says gator tastes like chicken, but I don’t think so. You don’t want to overcook or it’ll get really chewy, but cooked correctly, it’s got almost a firm seafood like texture. And it takes on whatever flavor profile you hit it with. 

90% of the meat is in its tail, so when prepping, it’s always best to basically filet out between the four tail muscles to get the fat out…or it’ll taste fishy with unrenerable fat. And the two loins are also on the underneath side of the tail. A little more meat on the “back strap” and jowls. 
    Craig aka Cmac Cooks
    Amesbury, MA
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Very cook cook, post and photos!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • @cmac610
    Thanks for the explanation. Would like to see where the fat is exactly
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Dumb *ss me did not realize you had gators in MA! =) no wonder @fishlessman can’t catch fish up that way! =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.