Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No Athens,TX Eggfest this year

sent a FB message to Texas Fresh Water Fisheries to ask them if they are hosting an Eggfest this year.
Their reply:
"No sir, we are not hosting Eggfest."  :-(
aka marysvilleksegghead
Lrg 2008
mini 2009
XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
Henny Youngman:
I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap

Comments

• Just an FYI that HQ actually maintains a list of upcoming Eggfests (at least the official ones) at this site:

https://biggreenegg.com/eggfests/

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    If Texas Fresh Water Fisheries hosted an party, wouldn't it be a RoeFest, or CaviarFest? 
    Clinton, Iowa
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Bummer. The Athens Eggfest was unique. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Just an FYI that HQ actually maintains a list of upcoming Eggfests (at least the official ones) at this site:

Used to be that page would have over 20-30 fests listed.  Kind of amazing how these have dropped off.  I'm sure some of that is the pandemic, but I don't think it's the whole story.  
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    From the ATX Dealer
    https://www.texaseggfest.com/pages/about

We are going to take this year off for the Texas Eggfest.

It has become increasingly difficult to provide the demo eggs and we have seen a drop in the number of teams. We are going to regroup and come up with a plan for future festivals.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    I think you have several challenges. Getting the eggs is certainly one of them with the current production capacity of most manufacturers. If they can't produce enough for their dealers at full price, then dealers would be certainly reluctant to sell eggs below retail. Dealers may not have the staff to literally put on the festival. Most businesses are literally hammer down just trying to take care of current business. In regards to the teams not signing up, there is simply the reality of inflation. People are seeing the pinch in their own households as well as the increased cost of ingredients for the festival. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Jstroke said:
    I think you have several challenges. Getting the eggs is certainly one of them with the current production capacity of most manufacturers. If they can't produce enough for their dealers at full price, then dealers would be certainly reluctant to sell eggs below retail. Dealers may not have the staff to literally put on the festival. Most businesses are literally hammer down just trying to take care of current business. In regards to the teams not signing up, there is simply the reality of inflation. People are seeing the pinch in their own households as well as the increased cost of ingredients for the festival. 
    Eggfests have changed so much over the years. It used to be individuals, couples or maybe a couple friends doing demo cooks. It was more of a family, teaching, learning kind of thing. Now it’s power cooking hundred of samples for the masses of people, with larger cooking teams, many sponsored, competing for prizes. At some Eggfests, they even tell you how many samples they expect you to serve. For us, its just not what we want to participate in anymore.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited February 2023
    Just an FYI that HQ actually maintains a list of upcoming Eggfests (at least the official ones) at this site:

Used to be that page would have over 20-30 fests listed.  Kind of amazing how these have dropped off.  I'm sure some of that is the pandemic, but I don't think it's the whole story.  

Many of the Big Green Egg dealers around me have stopped being dealers, said they aren't selling like they used to. I think Pellet grills kinda took over. Not to mention the renewed interest in offsets & wood-fired cooking over the last 5 years. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited February 2023
    SonVolt said:
    Just an FYI that HQ actually maintains a list of upcoming Eggfests (at least the official ones) at this site:

Many of the Big Green Egg dealers around me have stopped being dealers, said they aren't selling like they used to. I think Pellet grills kinda took over. Not to mention the renewed interest in offsets & wood-fired cooking over the last 5 years. 
    That and Blackstone griddles.  Anybody that wanted a kamado, got one during summers of 2020-21 when time and money were plentiful.  Now that you can dine out again and money is tighter, why drop $1500+ on a kamado when all your friends are happy with their $500 wifi pellet smoker?  Everybody in the BBQ industry got a little lazy during those two years, and last year was a wake up call.  2023 is looking pretty fantastic for us already, but I expect to see this as a pivot or die year for a lot of other companies in the outdoor cooking world.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    From what I've heard the reason why they stopped doing Athen's egg fest is the fisheries were wanting to up price to the dealer. And it was too much. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    SonVolt said:

I would think if they're not selling then they would have the stock for the demo eggs and a real need to do more promotion.

But not everything makes sense on the surface.

The "rules" on who cooks how much of what are completely at the discretion of the hosts.

I think you are correct about the competition from pellet poopers and gravity smokers and the like.  People get progressively lazy and burning pellets is way more turnkey than screwing around with all the ceramics and loading lump.

texaswig said:
    From what I've heard the reason why they stopped doing Athen's egg fest is the fisheries were wanting to up price to the dealer. And it was too much. 
    That would be a shame especially since all the money raised by selling taster tickets went back to the fisheries. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,373
    What is a taster ticket?
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • MasterC said:
    What is a taster ticket?
    Just a ticket that lets you enter the fest and sample all the food people are cooking up on their Eggs.  
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,373
    Thanks John. 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    It's been 6+ years since participating in a sponsored fest. The dealer sent out an email and said one free cook admission but anyone else attending will have to pay an entrance fee. I'm not confrontational guy but that irked me. I'm not going to spend $75-100+ in food and have them charge my wife an additional $30+ to help. I sent an email and let them know my thoughts on the situation. The dealer ended up dropping the additional fees. The dealer was good to cooks in the overall grand scheme of things. They gave every cook a $40 gift card and a goodie bag for helping them out. While they are fun, I enjoy the non-sponsored fests. Always a good group of people and you're not pushing someone else's product on your own dime.  
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    The two premier events; Butt Blast and Brisket Camp, are not on the list?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    There was an Eggfest in Birmingham AL years ago at the Birmingham Barons baseball stadium. If I recall, it was several hundred dollars to enter. It was too expensive to justify entering for most people.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    The two premier events; Butt Blast and Brisket Camp, are not on the list?
    The “List” will only show BGE/Dealer sponsored events. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    GregW said:
    There was an Eggfest in Birmingham AL years ago at the Birmingham Barons baseball stadium. If I recall, it was several hundred dollars to enter. It was too expensive to justify entering for most people.
    That's ridiculous. 

I maybe understand why they want to charge cooks/teams... because of all of the TT/IG/YT influencer type folks who are in it for the $$ in a big way. Way back when, folks cooking at an Eggfest were in it for the love of the game.

I know I sound like an old fart saying that, but "way back when" was barely 5 years ago.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,642
    edited February 2023
    Were the pellet pooper guys every really in the market for a kamado? Most pellet guys I know think a bge is way to much time and work.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Were the pellet pooper guys every really in the market for a kamado? Most pellet guys I know think a bge is way to much time and work.
    Effing millenials man.
  • They are both in their late 40s
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,078
    Were the pellet pooper guys every really in the market for a kamado? Most pellet guys I know think a bge is way to much time and work.
    Effing millenials man.

Just let them fade away, place your hope with Gen-Z.  Most all the folks I know in the Birds Aren't Real movement burn charcoal.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • They are both in their late 40s
    It was just a joke.  Not a very good one, apparently, but they can’t all be home runs.  
  • caliking
     More buyers wanted pellet poopers, so sellers changed tack. Those buyers may have never   considered a kamado grill for various reasons, and sellers only have so much floor space.