Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This Little Piggy…

Options
I’ve got a La Caja China and have done a handful of large hogs, but I’ve always wanted to do a suckling pig on my BGE. Got a 8.5# which was a little smaller than I really wanted, but the price and quality was right on. Salted the skin the day before and back in the fridge. Pulled it out Saturday morning, brushed off any remaining salt…injected the shoulders, hams and loins with Pork injection…and rubbed the cavity with some hot honey chipotle rub. Got the XL to 250° and in she went. After about 90 minutes I gave her a spray of duck fat spray to help with color and crisp the skin. I cranked the Egg up to about 500° for the last 20 minutes. She was ready after about 5 hours and I couldn’t have been happier with the results. The rub complimented the sweet flavor of the suckling pig. Oh, and I did six racks of St Louis ribs too!
Craig aka Cmac Cooks
Amesbury, MA
#BGETeamGreen #TeamArteflame #TeamBarrelProof
XL BGE, Mini-Max, La Caja China, Arteflame Classic 40, Arteflame One 20, Arteflame Euro 20, Cotton Gin Harvester, Weber Classic, Gozney Dome, Anova wifi Sous Vide.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Awesome cook! Looks great.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Amazing. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Awesome! I guess it never really crossed my mind that you could get one that small.  Looks like it would fit in my large.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Yes!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @cmac610
    This should say it all my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• cmac610
    cmac610 Posts: 154
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Awesome! I guess it never really crossed my mind that you could get one that small.  Looks like it would fit in my large.
    Easily. I probably could have cooked it in my MM!
    Craig aka Cmac Cooks
    Amesbury, MA
    XL BGE, Mini-Max, La Caja China, Arteflame Classic 40, Arteflame One 20, Arteflame Euro 20, Cotton Gin Harvester, Weber Classic, Gozney Dome, Anova wifi Sous Vide.
  • cmac610
    Options
    SGH said:
    @cmac610
    This should say it all my friend. 

Thank you! 🙏🏻
    Craig aka Cmac Cooks
    Amesbury, MA
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Wow! Fantastic job!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
  • SGH
    Options
    cmac610 said:
    That shot right there should be in a “How to do it” book. That’s honestly one of the best pics I have ever seen posted. Absolutely perfect looking 👍

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Yummy looking eats right there!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Lookit the perfect color on that! If I ever try this, I can only hope that it turns out as well as yours did. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    Options
    SGH said:
    cmac610 said:
    That shot right there should be in a “How to do it” book. That’s honestly one of the best pics I have ever seen posted. Absolutely perfect looking 👍
    You only like this pic for the anus, just admit it!
  • SGH
    Options
    FrostyEgg said:
    You only like this pic for the anus, just admit it!
    Guilty as charged 👍

Status- Standing by.

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    @cmac610! My man! Didn’t know you were over here. Nice looking cooking brother! 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    That is one great cook right there.  Nailed it across the board.  Congrats.  Way to bring it home.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Great job!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• cmac610
    Options
    SGH said:
    cmac610 said:
    Wow…thank you very much. 🙏🏻
    Craig aka Cmac Cooks
    Amesbury, MA
  • cmac610
    Options
    Been a member for a long time, just don’t post much here. Thought this was worthy though! Thanks Hussey!
    Craig aka Cmac Cooks
    Amesbury, MA
  • SGH
    Options
    cmac610 said:
    Been a member for a long time, just don’t post much here. Thought this was worthy though! 
    Definitely worthy my friend 👍

Status- Standing by.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    cmac610 said:
    Been a member for a long time, just don’t post much here. Thought this was worthy though! Thanks Hussey!
    Umm... If that's what you're throwing down, then you should definitely be posting more . 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Yes sir!    I’m going for a fistful of sucklings on the next hunt for just this.   Nicely done!
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • cmac610
    Options
    caliking said:
    cmac610 said:
    Umm... If that's what you're throwing down, then you should definitely be posting more . 
    Thanks! Gator coming next! 🐊
    Craig aka Cmac Cooks
    Amesbury, MA
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    cmac610 said:
    I’ve been MIA for while. Had the notion to come by and see what’s going on. Glad I did to run into you brother. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • cmac610
    Options
    cmac610 said:
    I’ve been MIA for while. Had the notion to come by and see what’s going on. Glad I did to run into you brother. 
    Always a pleasure. We need to cook together in 2023!
    Craig aka Cmac Cooks
    Amesbury, MA
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    cmac610 said:
    cmac610 said:
    Always a pleasure. We need to cook together in 2023!
    Yes we do brother! 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site