Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hating my MEATER+

This this is what I get for relying on technology.    D@mn thing will not connect to my phone (the relay box will but not the probe and it’s 100% clean). .   I’ve been struggling with this thing for a while, when it works it’s awesome but when I need it (for today’s Prime Rib Roast) it goes t*ts up.  I synced it yesterday to make sure it was fine and it was perfect.  Today—no dice.   

After 20 mins I threw in the towel and went back to my hard wired unit.   

Throwing it in the trash to be done with a bad relationship.  

End of rant—Happy Thanksgiving to all!
LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas

Comments

• Damn that sucks man.  Sometimes mine is a bit flaky but a solid clean always does it.  Sounds to me like maybe you just got a bad unit.  I’d contact them and see if they’ll send you a replacement.  

In any case, I know you’ll get some bourbon today to take the sting off of that.

Happy Thanksgiving!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,908
    @JohnInCarolina

hahaha yes sir.   Maybe I’ll get with them about that.   It’s frustrating for sure though, especially with a critical cook.   

Cheers, be safe and happy.  
  • My BT tv speaker often has trouble pairing with my tv. My car’s anti-collision system often gives me false warnings. My wifi powered outlets aren’t always responsive via BT. My friend’s home alarm system often falsely triggers. 

At the risk of repeating myself (and sounding both old and cranky), I yearn for a simpler time. 

Not an approach for everyone, but for me, no tech = no troubleshooting tech issues. 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Call me old fashioned but I don't mind manually spot checking every 45 with my thermapen. I've never been a big fan of leave-in thermometers. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • TechsasJim
    Yep y’all get it clearly.    I try to embrace technology but when it doesn’t reciprocate- well…
  • TechsasJim
    Well 1.25hrs later it decided to come online.   

Perfect timing.   

I’ll take John’s suggestion and get with MEATER.   This unit must be defective.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    My meater+ received an update today, which ruined the stability and caused me a ton of connectivity issues. Up until today it always worked amazing.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Wait, your thermometer received an online update? What a time to be alive
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited November 2022
    Wait, your thermometer received an online update? What a time to be alive
    I got a new phone and in order to connect I needed to do the update.  Wouldn't let me just use it.  Now it is very unstable.

(And yes, thermometer updates, what a TTBA)
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Mine is not connecting right now, but I don’t care about it enough to fix it.  I much prefer using my ThermoWorks Bluedot or Smoke.
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • SonVolt said:
    Call me old fashioned but I don't mind manually spot checking every 45 with my thermapen. I've never been a big fan of leave-in thermometers. 
    The only downfall to that is poking it causes the juice to pour out at times. It hurts my feelings seeing it rolling out. Lol. 
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 675
    I only use my meater + when cooking rotisserie.

My wired therms are much more reliable. 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Mine forced an update that took about ten minutes. Fine after that. 🤷🏼‍♂️
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Meater’s live customer service is unbelievable. Better than their actual product sometimes. The only thing I like the Meater+ for is accuracy. My smoke always seems to undershoot by 3°. My Meater and Thermapens MK IV and One all line up.
    Meater’s hard-to-find customer service number:
    (818) 929-8907
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    I had poor placement of my Meater+ yesterday.  That is on me.  I was rocking along, slowing the cook down to be done on time and when I pulled the birds for the rest, My thermo pen in different parts showed 155° instead of the desired 160°.  I knew I wasn't going to get 10° of carryover, so I had to put them back in the oven for 15 minutes.  I need to do that check about halfway through the cook so I know I am in the coldest part of the bird.

Lesson learned.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    I bought one last week when they were on sale. First use today. Update took about 5 minutes. Running well so far. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• TechsasJim
    When it works it’s great, fantastic even.   

I’ll get with them next week about my issues.    Won’t need it for a couple weeks now that Thanksgiving is done.   
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I have the 4 probe MEATER Block, and am yet to find a reason to love it. 

Could be operator error, but I haven’t been motivated to dive deep into it since my FlameBoss 200 works so well. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited November 2022
    Apparently Traeger pushed an update yesterday.  A bunch of twitter posts complaining about a forced update on T-Day and their app was down.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I’m glad to read that no meaters are getting thrown in the trash, I was starting to think they were clumping.
  • pgprescott
    You know Traeger owns MEATER. Not coincidence. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    I did not know that, thanks for the info!
  • TechsasJim
    Son of a….  I did not know that but helps explain quite a bit.   Ugh.   
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    They sure do. Been about a year and half since they purchased them. Surprised they haven’t meshed their grills with Meater capabilities yet.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    I was a PO'd with my Meater today.  Always has run just fine (including T'day) but when needed for an experimental one-off cook it would not function/connect.  I did all the troubleshooting and the other roads their support site leads you down to no avail.
    Emailed 'em and got a response that asked for 5 pics/screen shots to help them sort it out.  Sent 'em all in.  Time will tell.  The experimental cook will be a separate thread later this PM.  F'me.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    Powak said:
    They sure do. Been about a year and half since they purchased them. Surprised they haven’t meshed their grills with Meater capabilities yet.
    The new grills offer wired and wireless probes integrated with the MEATER app. Interesting issue is that the probes are unique to the particular unit I believe. You cannot take just any MEATER and pair it with the New Timberlines. Has to be the ones that comes with the unit. May be able to in the future🤷🏼‍♂️
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    My only upgrade to the egg was the first guru pit controller. It operates with a thermal spring and is set for 235f dome temp. Been working about 20 years now. So simple, no wires, batteries etc.   Before blue tooth
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it