Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st BGE

Options
Just got my 1st BGE. I got an XL. I've been using a Weber for the last 10 years. I'm still trying to figure out temperature control. Im sure that will come with practice. 
 I've used it several times. My longest cook so far was a Pork butt. Came out good!
I'm enjoying the forum. Lots of good ideas!

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
     Welcome! You’ll get the temp control thing down with a little more experience. It’s pretty intuitive once you get into it. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Welcome! You'll get it. Keep cooking and it will become second nature. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Grogu
    Grogu Posts: 125
    Options

I’m still a complete rookie myself. I also became a first time egger this year with an XL. This graphic isn’t 100% perfect, but I found it helped me get at least within spitting distance rather than completely guessing at where to set things. You’re going to love it. I’m currently planning an all egg thanksgiving dinner.
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Welcome to the cult. I mean club..
    Or something like that. You'll get the temp thing in no time. I cook top less for nearly everything but low and slow and just use the bottom vent for control. But I'm weird. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Grogu said:

I’m still a complete rookie myself. I also became a first time egger this year with an XL. This graphic isn’t 100% perfect, but I found it helped me get at least within spitting distance rather than completely guessing at where to set things. You’re going to love it. I’m currently planning an all egg thanksgiving dinner.
    I’ve never seen that before but it looks pretty accurate to at least get you in the ballpark of those temps. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Welcome to the madness!
    Where are you located?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Grillinchillin
    Options
    loco_engr St Augustine Fl
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Those bottom vent settings are spot on for an XL, but I always ran the top wide open.  Unless you are using a controller w/fan.  Then the top is only open 1/8”.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited November 2022
    Options
    With a forum name like yours @Grillin & Chillin
    I was really hoping to see this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKu8SHc8ydk

One of the better cooking shows
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    The main thing to remember, if you are coming from a Weber Kettle, is that the egg will react, especially in cooling, A LOT slower than the weber.  

It takes longer to heat up and it takes a lot longer to cool down.  

Try to catch it on the way up and if you over shoot by a bit, just adjust and cook at the higher temp.  I usually start with vents open and start closing them as the temperature begins to move.  Keep closing it down to the positions shown in that graphic that has been posted.  I don't just set it to those right away.

Enjoy!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Very perceptive with "first" BGE...Hide your wallet as this place can take you down rabbit holes you never knew existed.   B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Welcome aboard
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • bradleya123
    Options
    Welcome aboard!!  Have fun and remember if you don't get a picture it never happened!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• Grillinchillin
    Options
    Thanks for the input. What I've been trying to do is after I get the coal going good. I close the lid leaving the vents wide open. Then when I get within about 40 degrees of my desired temperature I set the vents to where I think they need to be. I've been pretty close but many times the temperature creeps up.
  • Grogu
    Grogu Posts: 125
    Options
    While the ceramic is still heating up it will “steal” some heat. Then it “gives” heat once heated. Probably not an accurate way to describe it but best I can come up with at the moment. Once the ceramic is hot the temp will creep up from where it was with cold ceramic. You can lay your hand on the dome and if it’s not hot you know that the temp will creep some once it gets hot even if it seems the temp dial has settled. That was a change for me from the Weber type grills where the metal isn’t really a heat sink or heat source.