Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The theory to the actual turkey cook-time

2»

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    second time bumping an old thread but it carries the proper labeling and the contents may be of value in the next few days.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    Amazingly I was trying to remember what I did last year. Found my comment immediately after yours this time last year. Spatch, raised indirect, 375. 
    Mountain View, CA
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
    My first turkey, 17 lbs, cooked at 375F ... 5 hours.
    This year's turkey, 23 lbs, cooked at 375F ... 5 hours.
    Looked for 165F in breast and thigh, both times.

Go figure.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • lousubcap
    Shameless bump and a link to a Rodney Scott spatched turkey on the BGE:
    https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/spatchcocked-smoked-turkey  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    I am going to try out my new Meater+ and see how it goes. Should be interesting to see how the app works out. Happy Thanksgiving!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

500 Posts: 3,177
    2021 bird update; 10# frozen Sam’s Club bird with 3% solution. Thawed for 4 days. Spatched, but just cut one side, leaving back connected. Salt dry brine. Traditional type homemade rub will go on 325* for ~14min/#, is my thought. Minimal rest. I don’t think I’ll need much rest time since it’s going slower. My plan to go slower is so I don’t overshoot 155* breast IT. That’s the plan anyway. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • lousubcap
    Third time is a charm.  Bumping for the upcoming Thanksgiving cook.  
  • marcdc
    marcdc Posts: 126
    24lb bird this year… going spatchcocked raised indirect. I think 325-350 (prob closer to 325). Anyone have any idea in timing? Looking at this thread I’m guessing 4-5 hours?
  • Mark_B_Good
    marcdc said:
    24lb bird this year… going spatchcocked raised indirect. I think 325-350 (prob closer to 325). Anyone have any idea in timing? Looking at this thread I’m guessing 4-5 hours?
    Did a 23 lb bird last year ... 5h to hit 165F in the thigh. Cooked at 325F indirect.
  • Mark_B_Good
    My first turkey, 17 lbs, cooked at 375F ... 5 hours.
    This year's turkey, 23 lbs, cooked at 375F ... 5 hours.
    Looked for 165F in breast and thigh, both times.

Go figure.
    Sorry, this should have said 325F ... 375F is incorrect.
  • marcdc
    marcdc Posts: 126
    marcdc said:
    Did a 23 lb bird last year ... 5h to hit 165F in the thigh. Cooked at 325F indirect.
    Super helpful, thank you. Guess I’ll start the egg around 10 (it’s cold out) and put it on around noon. Can always hold it in an oven at 150 if need be
  • newby84
    newby84 Posts: 133
    marcdc said:
    Are you fitting a 24# in a large or extra large ? 
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    marcdc said:
    marcdc said:
    Super helpful, thank you. Guess I’ll start the egg around 10 (it’s cold out) and put it on around noon. Can always hold it in an oven at 150 if need be
    Last year, the wind was blowing and it was in the low 20's (F) here.  I noticed early on that one side of the egg was cooling more than the other due to the wind.  I spun my egg 180° in the drive way every 15 minutes to keep it even.

Good luck!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited November 2022
    For record keeping; 19.5# turkey, thawed in fridge for 6 days.  No ice pack on the breast. Breast facing the handles, feet toward the hinge, thighs and breasts finished at the same time.

Edit: 340 deg F (egg settled there)
    Ambient temp 70, very windy

4hrs even.  2nd year in a row of a 4 hr finish.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • lousubcap
    The update from yesterday:
    Cooked at around 310*F on the cal-checked dome and an unstuffed 15.1lb bird finished in around 2 1/4 hrs.  (Non spatched, legs to the back as always, and iced the breast for around 30 minutes.)
  • lousubcap
    @Ozzie_Isaac - cook temp??  B)
  • Used to do the Max Method with the big oval aluminum pan, all the trimmings, basting, butter smear, etc. Turkey size / availability variables and the same old pan always impacted cook times. Never really benefitted from the quartered applies onions etc as we do a wild rice and chestnut stuffing. 

Thawed bird. Take out the neck / innards to send to the stove for a boil. Great opportunity to clear remaining ice accumulation in bird.  Season cavity heavily with Mad Max dizzy pig, kosher salt the skin (nooks and crannies too) and throw in fridge in any pan for a couple hours.  If fridge is full can put in a cooler, no ice or anything while you ready the egg. Throw a zip lock of ice on the breasts when you light the egg. Platesetter legs up with air gap and bge paella pan, grid on top. Now using ps woo which is awesome.  Once the smoke is clear, bird on the grid.  Pour some white wine in the paella pan early in the cook. Indirect at 300-325 and a 14 lb bird done in just over 2 hours. Paella pan to the stove to become gravy. 

This approach gets pretty close to spatchcock cook times and consistency.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    lousubcap said:
    @Ozzie_Isaac - cook temp??  B)
    Lol, thanks for.the reminder.. edited post, it was 340.  Aimed for 350, but settled in nicely at 340.  Checked with multiple thermometers.  This is one of my annual thermometer checks.  1 of 4 were bad.