Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Serving roast beef at a party. Transport/Slicing question

Options
SaltySam
SaltySam Posts: 887
I’m smoking a couple eye of round roasts for a work function on Friday.  Then plan is to slow roast them and slice it thin, alongside some tiger sauce/horseradish sauce.

The function is at noon.  I plan to cook the 4.5lb roasts that morning.  I’m guessing it’ll take a couple hours. 

Once done cooking, should I treat it like a brisket?  FTC, then slice it at work? 

Or should I let it rest, slice it at home and then transport it?  

I’ll likely cook it to an internal temp of about 130.  I worry if that won’t be hot enough to stay FTC’d for very long. I don’t want to serve tough, warm roast beef.  

Any tips? 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    I do roast bit different, but for that, as @GrateEggspectations says , delay the slicing till there, it’s not that big …, my method is I would pre cook, quick chill, slice razor thin when cold, reheat right before transport ( add any jous ) into cameo or cooler, always a hit super moist and tender 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Right before you FTC, set your cooler in the bathtub and fill it up with hot water, let it overflow a bit.  Empty, dry, FTC, then run all the red lights until you get to work.
    I agree that slicing lukewarm RB at the last minute beats serving hot, dried-out RB.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    How far is it from home to work?
    Can you transport your egg to work the day before?

Your co-workers will appreciate the extra effort if you smoke those bad boys right there in the vestibule!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • SaltySam
    Options
    You all are fantastic.   I’m about 10 min from work, but it’s a military base. As much as I’d like to ball out and bring the Egg to work, that’s not feasible. 

I do have a sous vide, but I don’t have a pot big enough to house 10 lbs of meat. I do appreciate that idea though.  I forget that’s an option.

I will FTC, then transport to work and slice when serving…classy, Golden Corral style.  

If I do pull the roast at 130, should I let it rest a bit before FTC’ing?  Or should it go immediately into the cooler? Will it continue to cook in the cooler?

About how long will I be able to keep it FTC’d? 

Thanks everyone!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    To maintain medium rare, I would do with the sv.  Do you have a cooler. You don't need a pot....you only need to bring it back up to 120.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SaltySam
    Options
    YES!  This will work perfectly.  Thank you

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    @fishlessman has you on the right track, just be careful with how you rig the sous vide in the cooler. I've lost a circulator to it dropping into the cooler before.

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    float bubble wrap instead of the cover if you have some but i dont see a problem holding that low of a temp without any
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    SaltySam said:
    You all are fantastic.   I’m about 10 min from work, but it’s a military base. As much as I’d like to ball out and bring the Egg to work, that’s not feasible. 

I do have a sous vide, but I don’t have a pot big enough to house 10 lbs of meat. I do appreciate that idea though.  I forget that’s an option.

I will FTC, then transport to work and slice when serving…classy, Golden Corral style.  

If I do pull the roast at 130, should I let it rest a bit before FTC’ing?  Or should it go immediately into the cooler? Will it continue to cook in the cooler?

Thanks everyone!
    Just a quick note to say that years back, I hacked an old, cheap cooler to use for bigger sous vide cooks. There are videos on YouTube. Well worth the effort. Can cook big proteins for long periods efficiently and with no discernible water evaporation. Great for hosting big gatherings and reheating vac-sealed pulled pork. 
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,373
    Options
    Plastic storage bin $15 Lowe's 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    MasterC said:
    Plastic storage bin $15 Lowe's 
    That would work too, the only difference being that I suspect the cooler is much more efficient in retaining heat. I like the viewing window!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    SaltySam said:

Thanks everyone!
    Let it rest 30 mins or so, before FTC. Should be good for a few hours. Fill the dead space in the cooler with warm towels, crumpled up newspaper, etc.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Way to bring it home.  Congrats and a lot of happy employees.  Well played.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    That's awesome!

Not as awesome as rolling up with your egg, but still pretty awesome!
    Clinton, Iowa