Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Question-Jealous Devil

Tspud1
Tspud1 Posts: 1,510
edited November 2022 in EggHead Forum
And ideas on this lump, on clearance here locally. I have supply of Rockwood but a deal is a deal.

Comments

• My local Home Depot marked it down on clearance.  Have not tried it.

• If you like burning tires, you will love it. Used once and still have most of the bag left. I have lit a few fires in the fire pit with it, it stunk up my whole house. Not kidding- it is the nastiest lump I have ever used
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,510
    edited November 2022
    If you like burning tires, you will love it. Used once and still have most of the bag left. I have lit a few fires in the fire pit with it, it stunk up my whole house. Not kidding- it is the nastiest lump I have ever used

Thats all I need to know. At $15 a bag I thought maybe but not now. Thanks
  • I've used a bag. Takes a while to get going but the. Lasts well.  Don't remember noticing a flavor from it. Usually use royal oak if that matters 
  • I started out using Jealous Devil but quickly settled on Rockwood and only use that now.  For me, there is no comparison - Rockwood is very high quality lump that is made in the USA.  JD is semi-carbonated crap wood. 
  • Tspud1 said:
    If you like burning tires, you will love it. Used once and still have most of the bag left. I have lit a few fires in the fire pit with it, it stunk up my whole house. Not kidding- it is the nastiest lump I have ever used

I have never used anything like it. I don’t even understand why they have any kind of following at all. I used to buy the 40lb bags of food service Lazarri that was like .35 cents a pound back then. It was all semi-carbonized Mexican Mesquite logs or chunks the size of a grapefruit that sparked and smoked like a dumpster fire starting up. It was was way better than JD. It never stops smelling horrible and the flavors is just plain nasty. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,208
    Tspud1 said:

I have never used anything like it. I don’t even understand why they have any kind of following at all. I used to buy the 40lb bags of food service Lazarri that was like .35 cents a pound back then. It was all semi-carbonized Mexican Mesquite logs or chunks the size of a grapefruit that sparked and smoked like a dumpster fire starting up. It was was way better than JD. It never stops smelling horrible and the flavors is just plain nasty. 
    Go on the BGE Facebook pages and say that, lol.  Those pages are full of fanbois.  They get down right mean.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,705
    edited November 2022
    @Ozzie_Isaac

Ask them how much they are compensated.  

We constantly get messages from those who call themselves "influencers / brand ambassadors".  Their time is up with another certain brand and here they are with their hand out looking for their next free charcoal to shill for.  Keep trying, not happening here.

How would you all like it if I charged 10-15% more for RW just so I could give it away to people more popular than you?

Speaking of shills.....where are our two resident shills for them?????  I'm sure they'll be by soon enough.
  • Tspud1 said:

Go on the BGE Facebook pages and say that, lol.  Those pages are full of fanbois.  They get down right mean.
    I got kicked off there for giving brisket advice without permission. 
  • Tspud1 said:

That’s funny I got kicked off one of them for posting a pic of shaved beef.   It did not help that when one of the mods claimed it looked “like lady parts” I replied with “how would you know?” 
    That would do it
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,806
    Tspud1 said:

That’s funny I got kicked off one of them for posting a pic of shaved beef.   It did not help that when one of the mods claimed it looked “like lady parts” I replied with “how would you know?” 
    You win the internet tonight, sir.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking said:
    Tspud1 said:

Pics or it didn’t happen!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,806
    caliking said:
    Tspud1 said:

You don't know what shaved beef looks like??

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking said:
    caliking said:
    Tspud1 said:

You don't know what shaved beef looks like??

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    I've said it before. Jealous Devil smells Iike an ashtray in a rubber factory. I have about half a bag left. The pieces are so big and heavy they clog the bag opening when trying to pour it out. Not kidding. Heavy is not good w lump. Anyway, to each his own. For me it's Rockwood. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • I have two bags of JD sitting at the bottom of a stack of charcoal bags 6 ft. tall.  I’ll never get to them.  Now they act like sort of shock absorbers for the good lump.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,057
    Tspud1 said:

Holy hell so I got kicked off a couple of those fb groups over the stupid fry age fridge that was the rage about 2-3 years ago.  I recently rejoined one and all it is ott chili and jealous devil posts.   I just left because I would rather spend my social media time trolling local news articles than seeing that shot.  
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,975
    I have two bags of JD sitting at the bottom of a stack of charcoal bags 6 ft. tall.  I’ll never get to them.  Now they act like sort of shock absorbers for the good lump.  
    Funny that you say that, but I have a huge stack in my garage and on the bottom of one - yet resting on a wooden pallet part...is some lump from "Chicago Charcoal" which I purchased 20+ years ago when finding lump charcoal was a MAJOR problem here!

At this stage and age of my life I probably AND HOPEFULLY will never get clear down to have to try that "Chicago Charcoal"...that is unless Antique Road ShoW tells me that charcoal plus my 12 bags of the original Ozark Oak are worth more than the few bottles of old bourbon which I tried to mention last night!
  • The taste is polarizing for sure. For me I never minded it but my family hated it. So much so they didn’t want to eat food that was made with it so I don’t have any of it around anymore 

Other brands that use the same rainforest wood can taste similar so they are either all made in the same place or that’s just how this particular hardwood tastes when being ignited… either way it splits a crowd for sure. 

It does burn hot and for a long time (so do many others) and doesn’t spark near at all under the stress of a grill torch which selfishly I liked as the person standing nearby … but not worth it if nobody else wants the food. 

Since that, I try to think about fuel more like coffee. I like a bold dark roast with no milk or sugar. Standing inline at any coffee shop I get a sense this is not what everyone likes. Charcoal can be the same with over the top smell or taste that may appeal to 5% of the population, but since bbq is about bringing people together I would rather cook something that everyone likes rather than a small minority while everyone else wished for something milder 
  • Looking forward to an Ace coupon assisted Rockwood purchase today.  Glad to hear recent feedback on JD aligns with that plan. 

Facebook is the “smells like a tire fire” version of life on earth. 
  • The taste is polarizing for sure. For me I never minded it but my family hated it. So much so they didn’t want to eat food that was made with it so I don’t have any of it around anymore 

Other brands that use the same rainforest wood can taste similar so they are either all made in the same place or that’s just how this particular hardwood tastes when being ignited… either way it splits a crowd for sure. 

It does burn hot and for a long time (so do many others) and doesn’t spark near at all under the stress of a grill torch which selfishly I liked as the person standing nearby … but not worth it if nobody else wants the food. 

Since that, I try to think about fuel more like coffee. I like a bold dark roast with no milk or sugar. Standing inline at any coffee shop I get a sense this is not what everyone likes. Charcoal can be the same with over the top smell or taste that may appeal to 5% of the population, but since bbq is about bringing people together I would rather cook something that everyone likes rather than a small minority while everyone else wished for something milder 
    This is good information to have, did you do a video on this?
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,735
    I've used it. It's a pain to light and overly dense. I smash it with a pick and hammer and break it down and it's not the worst I've ever used. But definitely not something I'll ever buy again. If it was between that and cowboy, I grab the jealous devil. Never had the flavor issues that are being described, but that's probably because I break mine down which is a major pain in the ask.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • @Thatgrimguy I use cowboy for my honey bee smoker and pulled a 7” long chunk of bark out of the bag yesterday. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,735
    @Thatgrimguy I use cowboy for my honey bee smoker and pulled a 7” long chunk of bark out of the bag yesterday. 
    I bet it's great for that. Since it smokes like the devil.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum