Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Out of town wings...

SSN686
SSN686 Posts: 3,500
edited November 2022 in EggHead Forum
Morning All:

My much better half & I are in Jacksonville this week with our 8-year old granddaughter as our son & D-I-L are on a cruise...our son does have a large Egg so it's not as bad as it could be...two of our other older grandchildren (22 & 18) joined us for dinner last night so I did a batch of wings...I first brined them for about 3 hours, then they rested uncovered in the fridge for a few hours before I put them on the Egg at about 4:30pm...

My son doesn't have much in the way of rubs so I grabbed two from Publix...on the left is McCormick's Honey Hickory & on the right is 4-Rivers Coffee...Egg dome temp was about 200 when I put them on indirect & slowly let it rise to about 375 & now ready to come off at 6:30pm...

Ready to serve along with some veggies...

And a close up of the 4-Rivers batch...

Then the Honey Hickory batch... 

I preferred the 4-Rivers rub as it crisped up the skin better...great spending time with the grandkids!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Great looking wings !
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Looks great!
    Stillwater, MN
  • Looking  good. 
  • Way to go, Jay. And of course, your son has a BGE, no surprise there.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 270
    @SSN686
    - The wings look darn good. I could mow down a grunch of those puppies.
    - Last time in Jax (Mandarin) visiting family I swung by the base (NAS) and noticed "Fresh Jax Spices" quite frankly had never heard of them. They are a small spice company out of Jacksonville.
    - Many different blends to choose from, I picked up their Greek, Peppered Habanero and Caribbean Coast. All 3 disappeared pretty quick once we got back to Va Beach.
    - I do remember they had a coffee rub variant that I wished I had picked up. Will sniff that out early Dec when running south to West Palm to visit our daughter.
  • I had been craving wings, and your post didn’t help! Meant to get some earlier this week, but it didn’t work out. 

Btw, very nice of you and your spouse to give that time away to your son and D-I-L. As the parent of young kids, we also benefit from and greatly appreciate the family support that allows us the time to enjoy being a couple, 
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    The McCormick's Honey Hickory rub sounds interesting
    Nice looking cook!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    I have been using John Henry's hot wing rub for years.  Best I have found.  My local place is out of it, so I tried the BGE Memphis Hot stuff.  Not my jam.

I love the John Henry stuff!  Perfect wings every time!
    Clinton, Iowa