Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spectacular weather for cooking outside…

2»

Comments

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    edited October 2022
    @caliking we made it up to the Sylet region of Bangladesh for 2 days. We spent time at a tea plantation up there. You are 100% correct, the countryside was unexpected, it was beautiful. We stayed in a tucked away resort in a very rural area, we were in the "McCartney" cabin. Apparently Paul McCartney used to be a regular there. 

It was an epic trip to say the least.  I don't travel that way normally and i didnt fund this trip. We were literally treated like royalty. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,807
    ksmyrl said:
    @caliking we made it up to the Sylet region of Bangladesh for 2 days. We spent time at a tea plantation up there. You are 100% correct, the countryside was unexpected, it was beautiful. We stayed in a tucked away resort in a very rural area, we were in the "McCartney" cabin. Apparently Paul McCartney used to be a regular there. 

It was an epic trip to say the least.  I don't travel that way normally and i didnt fund this trip. We were literally treated like royalty. 
    Sounds like an even more wonderful trip the more I hear of it. Hope you have another great one next year. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    edited October 2022
    caliking said:
    Y'all clean up well @saluki2007 :) 

@SamIAm2 - There may be a reason the groom is shoeless. Usually a North Indian tradition, the women on the bride's side steal the groom's shoes during the marriage  ceremony (the bride and groom remove their footwear for the ceremony). The groom then has to pay them to get his shoes back. It's a fun wedding prank, and the groom and his comrades will either figure out where the shoes are hidden, have a spare  pair of shoes ready, etc. 

Or, he may have just said "fvck it. I don't need no **** shoes!"

Correct. He is shoeless because of the prank. There are a lot of differences during an Indian ceremony vs a traditional Christian/Catholic wedding. One major fun one is several pranks during the ceremony. Another “prank” is the bride and groom have a race and the first one to sit down is the “ruler” of the house. During the race people grab the grooms toes to slow him down. He can pay them to let go and grab the brides toes instead. 
    These are mostly done to make the groom fool better. There is never any question about who the ruler of the house is. 

She is =)

• caliking
    Dinner plate from the wedding. I don’t remember exactly the name of the dishes, but the orange sauce (was actually debating with a few at the table wether it was a sauce or gravy) was paneer, below that was eggplant, to the right was lamb, then a chicken rice dish, and then a lentil dish which was my least favorite. It was rather bland. The lamb was my favorite by far. Also had to include a photo of the wife and I with the bride and groom. 

The chicken and rice was likely biryani. Has become more popular among food mags/blogs/recipe sites in the past couple of years, so there are tons of recipes online. Easy to make in an Instant Pot, if you have one. I know Serious Eats has a few recipes. 

• Awesome! Good thing you have those secret weapons, too. Glad you had fun!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • caliking said:
    Dinner plate from the wedding. I don’t remember exactly the name of the dishes, but the orange sauce (was actually debating with a few at the table wether it was a sauce or gravy) was paneer, below that was eggplant, to the right was lamb, then a chicken rice dish, and then a lentil dish which was my least favorite. It was rather bland. The lamb was my favorite by far. Also had to include a photo of the wife and I with the bride and groom. 

The chicken and rice was likely biryani. Has become more popular among food mags/blogs/recipe sites in the past couple of years, so there are tons of recipes online. Easy to make in an Instant Pot, if you have one. I know Serious Eats has a few recipes. 
    Years ago, someone here recommended Urvashi Pitre’s Indian cookbook for Instant Pot and it is hands down the best dang collection of Indian recipes we’ve had - and we tried a lot before getting to this one. Highly recommend. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 23,130
    edited October 2022
    caliking said:

Years ago, someone here recommended Urvashi Pitre’s Indian cookbook for Instant Pot and it is hands down the best dang collection of Indian recipes we’ve had - and we tried a lot before getting to this one. Highly recommend. 
    There are not a lot of guys that Would cause me to buy a cookbook sight unseen without digging in first just on their recommendation. You are one of those guys. Bought it 10 seconds  after I read this ha ha. We Can’t wait to get it!
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    caliking said:

Absolutely! She was the one who was dubbed "The Butter Chicken Lady" after her recipe was published in the New York Times some years ago.

Her website also has some very good recipes. From all over. I tried a couple of Ethiopian recipes, and they turned out great.

https://twosleevers.com/recipe-index/

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 23,130
    edited October 2022
    caliking said:
    caliking said:

Absolutely! She was the one who was dubbed "The Butter Chicken Lady" after her recipe was published in the New York Times some years ago.

Her website also has some very good recipes. From all over. I tried a couple of Ethiopian recipes, and they turned out great.

https://twosleevers.com/recipe-index/
    Ah- we know her. And we make that butter chicken a lot. It’s fantastic. Can’t wait to try the rest of it. Her story is great too. Good for her. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,213
    caliking said:

There are not a lot of guys that Would cause me to buy a cookbook sight unseen without digging in first just on their recommendation. You are one of those guys. Bought it 10 seconds  after I read this ha ha. We Can’t wait to get it!
    Lol, slow poke.  I didn't even finish his post.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• caliking
    On the subject of cookbooks, I also recommend this one to folks

The recipes are indeed simple for the most part, but flavorful. And not so focused on North Indian fare, as many Indian cookbooks tend to be. Many of the recipes come together quickly enough to be done on weeknights. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,213
    caliking said:
    On the subject of cookbooks, I also recommend this one to folks

The recipes are indeed simple for the most part, but flavorful. And not so focused on North Indian fare, as many Indian cookbooks tend to be. Many of the recipes come together quickly enough to be done on weeknights. 
    Sigh.  Second book ordered.  I did finish reading your post first though.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL