Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Uh oh. Cracked base

Securely cradled and kept under overhead cover. Vacuumed out all the ash before starting a cook today. Just noticed the grease as it was cooking at high temp and it highlighted a cracked base.  No idea how long it’s been like that.  Original owner.  Guess I need to dig up some paperwork and call a dealer in-town this week. Any recommendations for the process I’m about to go through? 

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited October 2022
    As long as you have the paperwork you should be good. I'd call your local dealer before wasting anytime in person and see if they've dealt with any warranty work in the past. That way they can contact their rep before wasting any of your own time so they can figure out what they need to do for warranty work. Your word might be good enough when talking with your dealer. Some like pictures, while others want you to bring in the replacement part. (I've never had to do this but I know others have) 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    Some dealers will do the entire warranty through pictures and emails too.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Fox_AT
    Fox_AT Posts: 7
    Phew. Receipts in hand. Bought my egg Summer 2016 from Jeff’s Backyard here in SATX and completed the warranty registration at time of purchase.  Looking forward to a positive experience when they open Tues morning. 
  • Will have to deal with this same thing soon. I bought from a propane company and they have closed recently. But 3 other dealers are within a mile from work. Hopefully they will be willing to help. 
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    As long as you’re taking it apart - consider adding feet or the table nest under there. An air gap can give you more reliability against another crack. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Fox_AT
    As long as you’re taking it apart - consider adding feet or the table nest under there. An air gap can give you more reliability against another crack. 
    Thank you.  I agree with your recommendation for firm support and an air gap.  While it might not be clear from my pictures, this egg is in an EGT 6 from outdoor kitchen equip.com.  The egg is cradled on a very stable base of stainless steel and there is definitely an air gap with heat dissipation.    
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    I had mine warrantied months ago. Still haven't swapped it..... Base was in garage... Now in storage unit....
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Will have to deal with this same thing soon. I bought from a propane company and they have closed recently. But 3 other dealers are within a mile from work. Hopefully they will be willing to help. 
    A propane company selling charcoal grills…I can see why they went out of business!  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Fox_AT
    Success.  Stopped into Jeff’s Backyard in San Antonio this morning. The staff was super helpful. I shared & emailed photos of the crack and proof of purchase. They agreed to submit the claim with their next purchase order in a month or so.  No issues. Since I was there I picked up a few bags of B&B lump and spent some petting Bradley the dog.  Not a bad day.  Now I guess I’ll just order up another of RP’s rutland gaskets and wait for the call to collect my replacement base.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    Will have to deal with this same thing soon. I bought from a propane company and they have closed recently. But 3 other dealers are within a mile from work. Hopefully they will be willing to help. 
    A propane company selling charcoal grills…I can see why they went out of business!  
    Makes me think of King of the Hill.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
    Makes me think of King of the Hill.
    Hank would have NEVER sold Eggs.  He only sold propane and propane accessories.  Something to be said for staying in your lane.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis