Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Would this work?

Options
Question about cooking early. Heading out of town Friday and wanting to take a Boston butt with us to share Friday night with family. My work scheduled me to work in office Wednesday & Thursday till 7pm (I work 10 hour shifts)
If I cook it Tuesday, what’s the best way to keep it fresh? Would freezing it in ziplock work? (And then boiling it Friday in bag)

Or does it have to be vacuumed sealed? 

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    If you have a sous vide then vacuum sealing it and reheating in a bath for an hour works great.

Regardless, if you have a vacuum sealer, there’s no need to freeze it.  Just vac seal and stick it in the fridge.  

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnfromKentucky
    Options
    I do not have one yet and I won't be able to get one in time
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I'd cook it in advance, pull/shred it and store in gallon zip lock bags. I'd do 24 to 32 ounces per bag, not wanting to over-stuff them.

Presuming your drive is a couple of hours or more. I'd freeze the cooked pork, expecting it will thaw on the way there.

I've read that ziplock freezer bags begin to melt at 190 to 195, so bring your instant read thermometer, heat a pot of water to 180 and put the bags in to reheat. 

I'd bring some clothes pins or clips to hold the bags up. Maybe even bring your own pan so you know how it is being reheated.

once the frozen semi-thawed pork is in the pot of hot water, bring the heat back on but keep it around 170F. I'd say 20 to 30 mins it's hot.

for me, I'd then empty it into a non-stick sauce pan and keep it warm there.

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,082
    Options
    No matter what your storage/transport/reheat method is, my recommendation is pull before you put into storage.  Easier on you and better results.
    Sous vide may be different, I have no experience there, but that seems to be off the table here.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • bbracey21
    bbracey21 Posts: 319
    Options
    Ziplocks will work just make sure you get as much air out of them before sealing. Also do not boil them as they will melt. I have a vac-seal and reheat in a pot of water around medium-low for 30 or so mins. Goal is to let it gradually heat up. Most of the time it tastes as good as the day it came off the smoker.
  • JohnfromKentucky
    Options
    danhoo said:
    I'd cook it in advance, pull/shred it and store in gallon zip lock bags. I'd do 24 to 32 ounces per bag, not wanting to over-stuff them.

Presuming your drive is a couple of hours or more. I'd freeze the cooked pork, expecting it will thaw on the way there.

I've read that ziplock freezer bags begin to melt at 190 to 195, so bring your instant read thermometer, heat a pot of water to 180 and put the bags in to reheat. 

I'd bring some clothes pins or clips to hold the bags up. Maybe even bring your own pan so you know how it is being reheated.

once the frozen semi-thawed pork is in the pot of hot water, bring the heat back on but keep it around 170F. I'd say 20 to 30 mins it's hot.

for me, I'd then empty it into a non-stick sauce pan and keep it warm there.

Thanks! Yup, got a 7 hour drive to Almond NC. 

I'll save your response and do it. Thanks!