Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Making my stone clean

What is the best meethod to make my pizza stone white (virginal) again - I do not want to go to Eggtoberfet with a nasty stone - 
See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                    Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    edited October 2022
    Raging heat , clean burn 

If you have a self cleaning oven you can do it in there as well 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    While I've never done an intentional clean burn, if you toss it in the BGE and run  at 500-600*F for an hour or so you should be good. Hopefully the experts will be along.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,431
    Before I got an Egg, I used a belt sander (true story).  But I too recommend a clean burn.

PSA:  Fresh mozz is available in small round balls, which will roll off your pizza onto your hot stone easily when you snap the pie off the paddle.  Not recommended for pizzas.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited October 2022
    Wrap it in Heavy Duty aluminum Foil for the event.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I never go nuclear but 600* for a couple hours will take care of it
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Rodney, 
    I just scrape mine with a flat bladed sharp metal spatula. But, is it REALLY that bad?

I mean assuming you will cook more than 1 pizza then to the Eggfest attendees after the first pizza comes off won’t it “show similar signs of having been used?”.

Besides I highly doubt your old buddy Ed Fisher will shame you and ask you to leave!  ;)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    I picture him with an 80 grit belt in play and wondering why his pizza stones only last for a year before they get too thin and crack.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,431
    Yup.
    I see folks on EweTube make pizzas on metal peels, and get them to slide off all the time; I had nothing but problems until I finally wised up and got a wooden peel.  One of the last ones done with my metal peel stuck again, I lost my temper and snapped the hell out of it, and the dough still stuck.
    The pepperoni, half the sauce, and the round mozz balls (see above) all slid onto the 500˚stone.  Nothing to do at that point but turn off the oven, open a window, and go get a big mac.  

I scraped and soaked and scrubbed that stupid stone, finally gave up and cleaned it off with my belt sander; just that once.  
    And before someone suggests using parchment...

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Photo Egg
    Botch said:
    Yup.
    I see folks on EweTube make pizzas on metal peels, and get them to slide off all the time; I had nothing but problems until I finally wised up and got a wooden peel.  One of the last ones done with my metal peel stuck again, I lost my temper and snapped the hell out of it, and the dough still stuck.
    The pepperoni, half the sauce, and the round mozz balls (see above) all slid onto the 500˚stone.  Nothing to do at that point but turn off the oven, open a window, and go get a big mac.  

I scraped and soaked and scrubbed that stupid stone, finally gave up and cleaned it off with my belt sander; just that once.  

I feel that pain. Wood peel to launch pie and metal peel to rotate and remove pie.
    I have also used an orbital sander on my stones.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • HeavyG
    Photo Egg said:
    Botch said:
    Yup.

I feel that pain. Wood peel to launch pie and metal peel to rotate and remove pie.

You're still talking pizza stones right???
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Photo Egg
    HeavyG said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Botch said:
    Yup.

You're still talking pizza stones right???
    Better power tools than farm animals.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    @Botch just give those balls a quick pinch so they don’t roll around so much.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    We are still talking about pizza, right?
    Clinton, Iowa
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Legume said:
    @Botch just give those balls a quick pinch so they don’t roll around so much.
    I have used those tiny balls many times and have never had one roll out of my pizza sauce. But pinching makes sense if someone has had a problem before!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 675
    Why bother cleaning a pizza stone? It's one thing to scrape sticky bits off, but years of seasoning? 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • HeavyG
    danhoo said:
    Why bother cleaning a pizza stone? It's one thing to scrape sticky bits off, but years of seasoning? 

I'm guessing in this situation it is mainly just an aesthetic thing - cooking for a crowd at THE major Eggfest of the year you want everything to look spick & span.

• danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 675
    edited October 2022
    HeavyG said:
    danhoo said:

I'm guessing in this situation it is mainly just an aesthetic thing - cooking for a crowd at THE major Eggfest of the year you want everything to look spick & span.
    Ok, if that's the goal. I'd prefer a well used, well seasoned stone and that's not something that happens overnight. I have a 10 year old rectangular one and this summer bought a round one for the 24 inch kamado so I could get it higher in the dome. The new one has 5 to 6 cooking sessions and over 30 pizzas but its not even close to the slick black finish on the old one that has likely cooked hundreds of pies.
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22