Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone smoke a deer neck roast?

Deer neck roast. Rubbed better than beef bouillon then a dry rub. Going to smoke at 225-250

Think I'm going to make tacos out of this. Once pulled I'll hit with broiler for a minute

But do I cook like pulled pork? 207ish/probes like butter? 

Boom

Comments

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    It is way leaner than a pork butt.  I'd wrap it in bacon for some moisture.  And even then, you might end up only eating the bacon.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I haven’t done one but would love to hear/see how it turns out for you. Please take pics and keep us posted.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• It's getting close to done but don't have time to get other stuff ready. So my plan is to FTC, pull, and vacuum seal. I will some flavorings to the vacuum seal. Then tomorrow I'll reheat via sous vide 

I'll definitely take pics and report back if it's worth smoking or if should stick to the crock pot
    Boom
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    I've had it in stroganoff.  Pretty good but I've never made it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Langner91
    Dying to hear how it turned out!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Waiting to see the results...

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• shtgunal3
    ^^^Agree^^^

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Langner91 said:
    It is way leaner than a pork butt.  I'd wrap it in bacon for some moisture.  And even then, you might end up only eating the bacon.

This is unfortunately true. Deer is so much leaner and does not have all the intramuscular fat and connective tissue our porcine friends have that make them so tender and delicious. Best thing to do with venison roasts (besides grind them up and mix with beef fat for burgers) is get a little smoke on them and braise them to finish. A smoky braise in a dutch oven would be a nice way to do it.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • shtgunal3 said:
    ^^^Agree^^^

^^^^^^^me too!
  • It might be ok if it’s a young deer. Curious how it turned out, jerky would be a good fit.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Well that wasn't very good lol. The dogs enjoyed it though

It was definitely too lean. I'll stick to the crock pot in the future. Worth trying, especially considering how easy that is to come across
    Boom
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Well that wasn't very good lol. The dogs enjoyed it though

It was definitely too lean. I'll stick to the crock pot in the future. Worth trying, especially considering how easy that is to come across
    As they say in baseball…Beautiful Swing…
    Never hit a ball if you don’t get the bat of your shoulder.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Langner91
    I have posted my favorite pheasant/venison/wild game recipe here several times, but this thread reminds me that hunting season, and therefore, game eating is upon us.

Wrap game in Bacon.  Several layers depending on game size.  Just wrap it in bacon until you feel good.

Put bacon wrapped game in crockpot, fill with one bottle of beer, onions chopped, carrots chopped, potatoes quartered, salt, pepper, hot sauce, bbq sauce to taste.  Hell, just toss whatever you like in there.

Simmer on low all day while you work in the yard, watch football, or do whatever you like to do.

At supper time, remove bacon wrapped game from crock pot.  Take bacon off, throw away game and commence eating the bacon, onions, carrots and potatoes.

Nothing finer!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    My go to for neck and shoulder roasts is barbacoa. Hank Shaw has a killer recipe. Look it up. I’ve made it with everything- deer, elk, bear, geese, even beef. Never disappoints. 
  • Yeah I thought maybe it was bad you could thin slice and make a stir fry or fajitas something. My dogs have never had it that good.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• shtgunal3
    @CornfedMA thanks for recipe. I will definitely be trying that this season.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    How bad would venison have to taste to keep people from hunting deer?  It's all about the hunt, not so much the rewards you reap. Hell, I like a challenge, making venison palatable is just that.  There's nothing inherently bad about venison, it's just that we're jaded from our Western palates eating grain fed animals. 

My buddy harvested some alligator last week.  "Do you want some alligator meat?" he asked.   You can't give it away unless someone is making sausage.  I declined.   I would love to make some sausage with it but too much going on right now.
    If deer tastes so bad acording to you guys then I wonder why anyone would ever have deer farms

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• EGGjlmh said:
    If deer tastes so bad acording to you guys then I wonder why anyone would ever have deer farms

• Yes. You are such a normal guy. 
  • I like deer, I grind it with beef fat.  My wife however does not so I don't hunt them anymore, because its hard to eat a whole deer for lunches.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Langner91
    Venison is delicious.  Venison roasts are nearly always dry and chewy.  And Gamey.

When I hunted, I kept the back-straps (Tenderloins), some ground, and the rest I put into summer sausage.  

I like the ground better than beef when used in tacos, meat sauce, and chilli.  I think it takes on seasoning better than beef.

But, the lean-ness of it makes it very challenging to cook without drying out.

Of course, reading about a neck-roast triggers my childhood PTSD. My dear mother never met a piece of game that she couldn't dry out from overcooking.  Just like mushy vegetables and boiled potatoes, there are just some things we ate too much of growing up.  But, I would eat it again right now if she were here to fix it!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • @Fitfarms that looks fantastic. We are about to be covered up in venison. We will make a ton of sausage but I do love the loin cuts/backstraps.