Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small Big Green Egg

How many have a green egg size small? If I could find one close I'd like to buy a used one or trade one on my mediums for one. 

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    How far are you from Houston?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Of my 4 eggs my Small is my go to egg! So NO you can’t wrestle if out of my hands! OTOH since you may not be able to find a used Small, keep in mind a M/M is merely a Small with the bottom shortened and the price raised! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 270
    I have one, really only use it around the Holidays for side dishes.
  • caliking said:
    How far are you from Houston?
    Memphis. Lol
  • RRP said:
    Of my 4 eggs my Small is my go to egg! So NO you can’t wrestle if out of my hands! OTOH since you may not be able to find a used Small, keep in mind a M/M is merely a Small with the bottom shortened and the price raised! 
    I have a M/M  also. Just wanted a small I don't know why. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    I would again jump on a SBGE.  Got one thru an Eggfest discount 8 years ago and have never looked back.  Since then the family has downsized but even prior it was a great cooker.  If you get one, grab an after market fire grate for air flow and a woo and stone from CGS.   @DMW steered me that direction and those were acquired before the SBGE landed.  
    Of course it all depends on what you are looking for in the end game but as a cooker for appetizers or even small L&S cooks (I have done a 7 LB pork butt) it is a great addition.  (I also have a LBGE).  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    edited September 2022
    I've owned an Xl, KJ3, Small, M/M and mini, and the small was my overall favorite. I wish I had bought another small instead of my mini-max. I only sold my small because the buyer of my water property wanted it.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    The Mini Max and the Small have the same cooking grid size. I would definitely keep the Medium.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RRP
    Photo Egg said:
    The Mini Max and the Small have the same cooking grid size. I would definitely keep the Medium.
    I tried to say that as well, Darian, but YOU did MUCH better!!!
  • I have bought 2 used smalls off of Craigs list. It's my go to Egg. Larges are for entertaining and doing the big stuff, the small is just great for every day meals.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Photo Egg
    I have bought 2 used smalls off of Craigs list. It's my go to Egg. Larges are for entertaining and doing the big stuff, the small is just great for every day meals.
    But if you did’t have a Large, just a MM and a Medium, would you get rid of the Medium and buy a Small?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • @PhotoEgg - Yes.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • The small is my favorite.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • I didn't make myself clear.  I have two mediums so if I traded one for a small I would still have one and  I also have a mini max.    Thanks everyone I appreciate it. 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    The small is my favorite.  
    Mine too

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    i didnt really like my small, start up was too slow to get to temp and it never got to the temps of my large. this was before the aftermaket fire grates, probably a must have. mine sits at a friends camp now
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • i didnt really like my small, start up was too slow to get to temp and it never got to the temps of my large. this was before the aftermaket fire grates, probably a must have. mine sits at a friends camp now
    A fire basket is really a necessity. So that clean up becomes easy enough to do with each cook, and it totally changes the air flow. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    4TheGrillOfIt Posts: 741
    edited September 2022
    i didnt really like my small, start up was too slow to get to temp and it never got to the temps of my large. this was before the aftermaket fire grates, probably a must have. mine sits at a friends camp now
    A fire basket is really a necessity. So that clean up becomes easy enough to do with each cook, and it totally changes the air flow. 
    Agreed.  Definitely need a Kick Ash basket.  Like @lousubcap mentioned as well, the CGS Woo combo that includes the stone is also a must.  I use the Woo ring in it for virtually every cook.  

The last 4 nights I have cooked chicken thighs, preceded by burgers, salmon and pork chops.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • For all those saying they’d take the small over the MiniMax, why? Curious as I have a large currently and have thought about picking up a #2 when I don’t wanna light the big guy. 
  • RRP
    For all those saying they’d take the small over the MiniMax, why? Curious as I have a large currently and have thought about picking up a #2 when I don’t wanna light the big guy. 
    Lump capacity mostly - as a M/M is little more than a Small with the base shortened!
  • RRP said:
    For all those saying they’d take the small over the MiniMax, why? Curious as I have a large currently and have thought about picking up a #2 when I don’t wanna light the big guy. 
    Lump capacity mostly - as a M/M is little more than a Small with the base shortened!
    Exactly. Lump capacity translates to BTUs, the small can simply get way hotter or stay hot way longer.
  • Photo Egg
    RRP said:
    Exactly. Lump capacity translates to BTUs, the small can simply get way hotter or stay hot way longer.
    Just add…
    the taller base means you have more room for a Woo Ring or Plate Setter to cook indirect.
    The Mini Max was a marvelous marketing campaign. Less material than a Small with a higher price. At least it was more expensive.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,431
    The MM would be the better choice only if you travel with your egg often, tailgate often, etc.  I can lift my Small into the back of the truck by myself, but it's iffy (and I'm a big guy).  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• RRP
    Botch said:
    The MM would be the better choice only if you travel with your egg often, tailgate often, etc.  I can lift my Small into the back of the truck by myself, but it's iffy (and I'm a big guy).  
    True…but if you pop for a “Pot Lifter” you can carry that Small like a duffle bag! And I’m a “little old man”!

Then even my “little old wife” can help me carry our Medium with that Pot Lifter!
  • Botch said:
    I agree, but the M/M is still a bear to move. I much prefer my mini for actual mobile egging.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Botch said:

MiniMax weighs more than a Small.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Photo Egg
    HeavyG said:
    Botch said:

On a broken scale and misprinted information
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RRP
    Photo Egg said:
    HeavyG said:
    Botch said:

On a broken scale and misprinted information
    Come on, Darian…your reply was more pregnant than an 8 month momma to be! 
  • I have all the sizes, and if I had a spare medium and didn’t have a small, I’d make that trade in your position. I would never trade my only medium for a small tho. The medium and 2XL are the two eggs I would keep if the others had to go. The small egg is a fun egg too. 
  • I have all the sizes, and if I had a spare medium and didn’t have a small, I’d make that trade in your position. I would never trade my only medium for a small tho. The medium and 2XL are the two eggs I would keep if the others had to go. The small egg is a fun egg too. 
    I don't have a 2xl but would love to have one. I don't think I would use it very much because I don't use my Xl very often. Regardless I would still like to have one but really don't have the space.  I would love to see your set up.  Thanks