Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Cooked some things...

West African peanut stew. Seems like a variation of chicken curry. Cumin, coriander, onions, cinnamon, turmeric,  fenugreek, peanut butter, ginger , tomatoes, eggplant, etc. in the mix. Recipe from Saveur. I’ve had my eye on this one for a couple of years, don’t know why it took so long to getting around to make it. 

For some reason, I’ve had Azerbaijani food on my mind for YEARS (especially khachapudi, which is like Turkish pide, but I didn’t try my hand at those yesterday). 

Khan Plov - pilaf with apricots, cashews, pistachios, dill, saffron and baked in a lavash shell of sorts. It’s supposed to have chicken (or other animal) in it,  but I already had the peanut chix stew going. It ate well with the chicken stew… the rice was flavorful with the dry fruits and saffron, and the crunchy lavash was nice to dip in the stew. 

Lastly, another Azerbaijani item -dolmasi (stuffed peppers, basically) with Impossible Burger (because MIL doesn’t eat pork or beef), parsley, mint, dill, garlic, etc.  Turned out like stuffed peppers do,  but the Impossible stuff tasted nothing like beef. Still tasty, but I’ll use lamb or goat next time. 

That’s all, folks. A few cooks I’ve wanted to bang out for a while, and now they’re out of my system :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• A tour de force. Knew this was going to be good by the title in association with your handle. I also make an African peanut stew that I adore. Rich and filling. Well done. 
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Beautiful meals. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,048
    Stunning!  

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,592
    edited September 2022
    Wow just wow.  What exceptional cooks right there.  That is beyond eating well.  
    Edit:  He!! of a skill-set on display.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,807
    A tour de force. Knew this was going to be good by the title in association with your handle. I also make an African peanut stew that I adore. Rich and filling. Well done. 
    I knew I’d seen someone post about it before. Could you share your recipe? This is the one l used : 

https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Classic-West-African-Peanut-Stew/?amp

We all enjoyed it, so will be making this again. Any tips?

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,789
    Very nice looking cooks!  
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,065
  • caliking said:
    A tour de force. Knew this was going to be good by the title in association with your handle. I also make an African peanut stew that I adore. Rich and filling. Well done. 
    I knew I’d seen someone post about it before. Could you share your recipe? This is the one l used : 

Although I didn’t bookmark the recipe, I just did a quick search and I anticipate it was this top hit. I’d previously done a very big batch and still have some frozen in vac sealed bags. 

https://themodernproper.com/african-peanut-soup

No real wisdom to share on execution (or anywhere else), but any recipe that calls for nuts is worthy of toasted nuts, IMO, FWIW. Also, sliced scallions or cilantro plays nicely, as you would expect. I don’t quite recall, but I may have employed some 14% sour cream at some point. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,974
    Damn, I can’t even pronounce most words, let alone cook them. Pity no peanuts in our cook due to food allergy. 
    canuckland
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Yes sir!  Great looking spread. Only question I have is what’s up with changing the “lids” on the peppers?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Damn dude. That is all. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    caliking said:

Although I didn’t bookmark the recipe, I just did a quick search and I anticipate it was this top hit. I’d previously done a very big batch and still have some frozen in vac sealed bags. 

https://themodernproper.com/african-peanut-soup

No real wisdom to share on execution (or anywhere else), but any recipe that calls for nuts is worthy of toasted nuts, IMO, FWIW. Also, sliced scallions or cilantro plays nicely, as you would expect. I don’t quite recall, but I may have employed some 14% sour cream at some point. 
    Thanks! Toasted nuts (spices, too) are always mo bettah. I held back from adding cilantro, but should have just added it. I like your recipe more, so will try it next time. 

• caliking
    Damn, I can’t even pronounce most words, let alone cook them. Pity no peanuts in our cook due to food allergy. 
    Bummer. If sesame is okay, I actually thought about subbing tahini for the peanut butter, until I confirmed that I had enough peanut butter. I think it would be pretty good. 

• caliking
    Yes sir!  Great looking spread. Only question I have is what’s up with changing the “lids” on the peppers?
    Artistic license =)  The red peppers were really cool stripey ones. Should have just bought enough of those, and used all striped peppers. 

• Fantastic post and unbelievable cook!!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,974
    caliking said:
    Bummer. If sesame is okay, I actually thought about subbing tahini for the peanut butter, until I confirmed that I had enough peanut butter. I think it would be pretty good. 
    Sesame is fine, will keep that in mind, thanks.
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking said:
    Sesame is fine, will keep that in mind, thanks.
    Tahini should add a similar nuttiness, and creamy texture. Please report back if you try it. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,233
    Looks great, but I don't comprehend what you said =) starting with peanut stew.....whaaaàt
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • caliking
    Looks great, but I don't comprehend what you said =) starting with peanut stew.....whaaaàt
    That's why God made Google!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,233
    caliking said:
    Tried using those words on  Google voice. That got me no where......would love to try this
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • caliking
    caliking said:
    Tried using those words on  Google voice. That got me no where......would love to try this
    I had only come across this in a Saveur article earlier, but it seems like a somewhat popular dish when I googled it. There are many versions, in different countries. 

I'm going to kick up the heat next time, though. Toned it down a bit for caliprince this time, but it will likely be even better with more zing to it. 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,119
    Mighty fine variety. Looks fantastic!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,217
    So many words and ingredients I do not know!  I just scanned the beautiful photos.  When I am emotionally and mentally ready, I will sit down a decipher the text.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• caliking
    Photo Egg said:
    Mighty fine variety. Looks fantastic!
    Thanks!

@Ozzie_Isaac we've been working on the leftovers, and caliprince essentially killed the peanut stew. Has asked for it to be made again. 

The plov/pilaf/pulao was an unexpected hit. Different from the Indian pulao we usually make at home, with lighter flavors. I've been eating it with everything.