Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Work brisket competition

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Powak said:
    Alright I’m going to take mine from rest to the comp. I’m going to be doing butcher paper for the wrap so at FTC time do you guys:

A.) Wrap the butcher papered brisket in a towel? 

B.) Put foil around the butcher paper and then the towel around that?

Or

C.) Remove the butcher paper, wrap in foil and then a towel?
    B

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    edited August 2022
    Picked up my brisket Friday. Looks real good. Mostly a flat, clocking in over 11lbs. Starting to get a little cold feet about injections and wrapping during the cook. I’ve churned out some pretty damn good briskets with mustard binders, Denny mikes beef rub with no wrapping or injections. BUT I’m tempted to take the risk and try something new. Just want to confirm once more, the rub’s salt level won’t interact with the salt level of the injection? I’m using Kozmo’s special reserve brisket injection with water as the base.

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Good luck!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,908
    good luck
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Powak
    At 160° right now. Gonna keep going to get that bark a little darker.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Looks killer, pour off the puddles as to not get bald spots , maybe a little foil on the darker spots 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Powak said:
    Picked up my brisket Friday. Looks real good. Mostly a flat, clocking in over 11lbs. Starting to get a little cold feet about injections and wrapping during the cook. I’ve churned out some pretty damn good briskets with mustard binders, Denny mikes beef rub with no wrapping or injections. BUT I’m tempted to take the risk and try something new. Just want to confirm once more, the rub’s salt level won’t interact with the salt level of the injection? I’m using Kozmo’s special reserve brisket injection with water as the base.

Go with what you are used to. Experiment later
  • Powak
    RyanStl said:
    Powak said: he

Go with what you are used to. Experiment later
    Too late this time, but it’s coming out great so far!
  • RyanStl
    The cook pictures hadn't loaded when I commented last. It's looking great 
  • Powak
    edited August 2022
    I’m still on the fence a little about more injection before wrapping but I may do it. I made the mix up to 11 fl oz’s and out about 4 oz in. Still have about 7oz left. Read somewhere 1oz injection per pound.
  • Powak
    lkapigian said:
    Powak said:
    Alright I’m going to take mine from rest to the comp. I’m going to be doing butcher paper for the wrap so at FTC time do you guys:

A.) Wrap the butcher papered brisket in a towel? 

B.) Put foil around the butcher paper and then the towel around that?

Or

C.) Remove the butcher paper, wrap in foil and then a towel?
    I don't use towels, but I have Cambros, butcher paper then into foil pan ( covered with foil) 
    I use the decorative towels my wife hangs in the bathroom.  I find her rage helps keep the brisket warm for longer.
    HAHAHAHA great idea!
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    inject now . . . enjoy later!  =)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • RyanStl
    Can't wait to see you slice that brisket 
  • Nailed it!!!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Sounds and looks like perfection.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• RyanStl
    The other people are in trouble because that looks fantastic 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    When is the judging?
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Now you have dipped your toe in the water, congratulations @Powak, there are far more losses than wins out there and that's what keeps driving you!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    im still having difficulties wrapping my head around reheating in a crock =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • im still having difficulties wrapping my head around reheating in a crock =)
    I would be afraid to cut it the night before judging. Seems like they dry out quickly.  Enjoyed the journey thanks for sharing!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Looks great for a first comp.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Powak
    lousubcap said:
    Way to step up and then have the spine to share the outcome.
    You got it! I’m all about learning and sharing the tricks I learn. Definitely going to have more throws at this, maybe even dig back into the wayback machine for the my methods and do an overnighter into the day of the comp, no wrapping till rest with fat cap up. Sure is good having a little competition now at work to keep me on my toes. For first 4-5 years I owned my egg I was the only brisket cooker in the office.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    The point is usually a winner in non competition cooks simply because of the texture and flavour (nod).  The higher fat content gives more latitude in the finish window.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.