Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Perfect non-stick fish every time

We love grilling fish but some hold up better than others on the grill. Cod is especially sticky and flaky so I have been looking for a way to make sure it releases cleanly whenever I need it to. Searched around and found a tip that I can’t believe I hadn’t found before now. 

Turns out if you brush the fish with Mayo instead of oil,
it works way better. The Mayo sticks better than the oil and releases perfectly every time. It also produces great sear marks. 

It does not leave any flavor or texture behind. Just perfectly cooked fish that does not stick. 

Disclaimer: I do use grill grates when I grill fish so I have not tried this on the stock grid

we did a gochujang grilled salmon tonight:

Nothing earth shattering but wanted it to be available in search on here in case someone was looking for help. 
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,144
    This sounds right to me, just make sure it’s Duke’s mayo.  
    It was 

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 699
    edited August 2022
    It works. I used mayo on tilapia for fish tacos, and was amazed how it did not stick at all.

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,052
    Someone on this forum suggested laying down thin lemon slices, and placing the fish on them so they don't touch the grill; that worked pretty well for me.  

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 931
    I like to cook fish on one of those Himalayan salt blocks. Never had a problem with it sticking and the skin gets a perfect dose of salt. 
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,724
    Great tip! Thanks for sharing 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 2,172
    Interesting topic here.  Only fish I have grilled are those that I caught myself and have always done them on the half shell (meaning skin/scales still on and heat side down).   

Great suggestions with the mayo and thin lemon slices.  Thanks y’all!!!
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • We love grilling fish but some hold up better than others on the grill. Cod is especially sticky and flaky so I have been looking for a way to make sure it releases cleanly whenever I need it to. Searched around and found a tip that I can’t believe I hadn’t found before now. 

Turns out if you brush the fish with Mayo instead of oil,
    it works way better. The Mayo sticks better than the oil and releases perfectly every time. It also produces great sear marks. 

It does not leave any flavor or texture behind. Just perfectly cooked fish that does not stick. 

Disclaimer: I do use grill grates when I grill fish so I have not tried this on the stock grid

we did a gochujang grilled salmon tonight:

Nothing earth shattering but wanted it to be available in search on here in case someone was looking for help. 
    Thanks for this! Haven't grilled fish yet but have been wanting to. 
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,789
    Thanks for posting this tip!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,809
    Its kinda funny how the answer is always... mayo! Because it works. 

Haven't done a lot of fish on the egg. Frogmats have worked well, though.  

What else is on that salmon? It looks darn good in the plated shot. 

PS - Whoever isn't eating the skin is losing. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,227
    This sounds right to me, just make sure it’s Duke’s mayo.  
    I wonder if miracle whip would work?  Leave a nice sugary caramelized layer?

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,244
    edited August 2022
    SWMBO saw this and is going to try it. Is there something specific about Duke's mayo? We don't have that on this side of the pond, but plenty of others to choose from. If we find it in Nova Scotia though, we'll use it there.

@The Cen-Tex Smoker grill grates ... you're a fan? I've seen mixed views on these. Also what's the green stuff in the last pic?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• SWMBO saw this and is going to try it. Is there something specific about Duke's mayo? We don't have that on this side of the pond, but plenty of others to choose from. If we find it in Nova Scotia though, we'll use it there.

@The Cen-Tex Smoker grill grates ... you're a fan? I've seen mixed views on these. Also what's the green stuff in the last pic?
    Nothing magic about Dukes. Kind of a running gag on here (but it is the best Mayo). 

I only use grill grates on fish or inverted for smash burgers on the flat side. I don’t care about grill marks so they don’t do much for me on things like steak or chicken. The thing they do with fish is pretty hard to beat. The spatula took it comes with slides through the grooves so you can easily slide it under the fish and lift up without scraping it off the grid. I bought them specifically for grilling fish and they work well for that 

the “green stuff” in the pic is spinach gomae (spinach sautéed in sesame oil with gomae dust (toasted sesame seeds and some other stuff) 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Stormbringer
    SWMBO saw this and is going to try it. Is there something specific about Duke's mayo? We don't have that on this side of the pond, but plenty of others to choose from. If we find it in Nova Scotia though, we'll use it there.

Nothing magic about Dukes. Kind of a running gag on here (but it is the best Mayo). 

I only use grill grates on fish or inverted for smash burgers on the flat side. I don’t care about grill marks so they don’t do much for me on things like steak or chicken. The thing they do with fish is pretty hard to beat. The spatula took it comes with slides through the grooves so you can easily slide it under the fish and lift up without scraping it off the grid. I bought them specifically for grilling fish and they work well for that 

the “green stuff” in the pic is spinach gomae (spinach sautéed in sesame oil with gomae dust (toasted sesame seeds and some other stuff) 
    aaaand grill grates are on the wish list. 
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    @Stormbringer, since you have a large and a MMX, the grill grates are (sorta) interchangeable.

The MMX takes two panels - 13.75" mitre cut.  The Large takes the same two 13.75" mitre cut panels and one un-mitred 13.75" rectangular panel.

So, if you buy them for the Large, you have what you need for the MMX, or vice versa with the addition of one extra panel.

Very handy accessory that works with both of your eggs!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,227

Hellmann's (Best Foods) is the next best mayo.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 775

Oh there is indeed something magic about Dukes. It's also made an hour away, so maybe I'm biased. 
  • Stormbringer
    edited August 2022
    Langner91 said:
    @Stormbringer, since you have a large and a MMX, the grill grates are (sorta) interchangeable.

The MMX takes two panels - 13.75" mitre cut.  The Large takes the same two 13.75" mitre cut panels and one un-mitred 13.75" rectangular panel.

So, if you buy them for the Large, you have what you need for the MMX, or vice versa with the addition of one extra panel.

Very handy accessory that works with both of your eggs!
    @langner91 Well that is very interesting ... thanks! Fortunately I haven't placed an order yet. Once again the forum is doing a bang up job of spending my money for me. :D

• danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 699
    Dukes is hard to find out here. Best Foods (aka Hellmans) is everywhere.

I haven't tried mayo on fish with skin on it. Burnt fish skin is a treat.
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,056
    I’ll try this next time I grill a salmon filet. I always start skin up and then finish skin down, this should help.
    Not a felon
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,629
    Thanks for the info!  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Nice tip. I would never have thought to use mayo like that
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,632
    I bought a salmon filet yesterday for use tonight. Of course this afternoon the bottom fell out of the sky. I have a boxful of Alder planks .  Now to decide which bottle( of very many) rub to use . Deez Nuts maybe?
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,629
    edited August 2022
    I bought a salmon filet yesterday for use tonight. Of course this afternoon the bottom fell out of the sky. I have a boxful of Alder planks .  Now to decide which bottle( of very many) rub to use . Deez Nuts maybe?
    Do you have raging river by dizzy pig? We love that with a mixture of maple syrup and butter. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Are you going to cook them on the alder planks? The mayo deal was to keep it from sticking to the grid, not to a plank.

I would mix your mayo with some soy sauce, minced garlic, and honey.  Schmear that on the fish and go for it!

If using the planks, I would marinate in soy, garlic, olive oil, melted butter and honey.  Then, cook them on the planks.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,632
    This is a weekday cook, not Valentines. I might have Ragin River, age unknown, but I have never used Deez Nuts.
  • No doubt Dukes only- never put it on fish though- will have to try.  Usually cook skin down and don't flip.  It separates from skin when done or I separate when serving.  Fish is great on the egg!
    2 then 1 Large, 2 Medium, 1 Small !! Egging since 2013. God is good!