Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt Injection - Mojo Marinade

Has anyone injected Mojo Marinade into a Butt prior to cooking?  My concern is the effect of the citric acid in the meat for 12+ hours, and if it makes the meat mushy - like pineapple to chicken.

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,065
    I’ve done it on Butts and Whole Hog , delicious 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,809
    edited August 2022
    You should be fine. I was at a pig roast recently, and the piggy had been injected with mojo criollo. It was outstanding. Pineapple, papaya etc. are  a different story because of the action of enzymes they contain.

I came across this bit a few days ago. Nerdy, interesting read about the effect of acid on meat :

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-science-of-yogurt-marinades

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 23,132
    edited August 2022
    If the acid is not from fresh fruit, it tends to be way less active. Same with bromelain (like in pineapple) Canned pineapple juice will not turn meat to mush but fresh certainly will. If you are buying a marinade off the shelf, I would imagine it would be just fine. If you are shooting fresh lime or pineapple juice in there, I would be concerned about citric acid and bromelain making the meat mushy over long periods of time. I may be wrong about that; just going by what I know those substances do to meat left to marinate too long in the fridge. . 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    I had to look up mojo. Looks good, but wouldn't that be difficult to inject?
  • taylorb
    taylorb Posts: 3
    RyanStl said:
    Off the shelf at the grocery store

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,065
    taylorb said:
    RyanStl said:
    Off the shelf at the grocery store

My go to
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian