Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MOMOFUKU-FREE 3 PACK OF SALTS

On the recommendation of @caliking I bought a pouch of their spicy salt a few years ago.  It was great.  When I tried to reorder another pouch I found out that they discontinued their pouches.  Currently a  3.7 ounce spicy seasoned salt is $12 or if you buy all 3 of their seasoned salts it is $30 for 3 jars.  It's not that good.  I just received an email with an offer for a 3 pack of salts for free.  The code is FREESALTS.  $45 spent gets you free shipping.
South Buffalo, New York

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    edited August 2022
    It works, need to buy more than just salt.  They stung me for some other items I didn't know I needed.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • After my purchase and before my original post, I went into a different browser and was able to do a buy 1 get 1 of seasoned salts which was $30 plus $7.95 shipping.  I did the pantry starter pack which gives you the 3 salts, a bottle of soy, a bottle of tamari & a chili crunch for $60, which gives you free shipping.  @Ozzie_Isaac, when you get your confirmation email you can modify your order by clicking on the link or go to the website and email them under the contact us tab.  They don't open until 10 am eastern.
    South Buffalo, New York
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Good of you to post this @BUFFALOMOOSE

I still ove their spicy salt. Sux that the pouch option got nixed.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited August 2022
    I got a bottle of tamari, bottle of soy, jar of chilli crunch, jar of spicy chilli crunch, and 3 salts for $53.

The pantry starter pack would have been a real good deal + 3 pack salts.

I did make a second order with their noddle variety packs.  My kids love ramen, so figure I will give it a try.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • caliking
    I got a bottle of tamari, bottle of soy, jar of chilli crunch, jar of spicy chilli crunch, and 3 salts for $53.

I did make a second order with their noddle variety packs.  My kids love ramen, so figure I will give it a try.
    If they like them, the Momofuku noodles are available at Target.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    caliking said:

Thank you for the heads up.  I have a very rational hatred of Target, so I would never have stumbled across them. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    caliking said:

Sure, now you tell us about Target!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Yeah, first I've heard of anti Target. Usually it's the hate Walmart bandwagon 
  • caliking
    Photo Egg said:
    caliking said:

Sure, now you tell us about Target!
    It was useful intel from another forum member. Only the noodles are at Target, though. The salts, chili crunch, and other stuff are not. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    RyanStl said:
    It stems from an incident 16 years ago.  I still have not forgive them.  Oddly enough, Walmart made the situation right.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,331
    I use all 3 chili crunch varieties and love the tingly salt. Looks like I’ll need to add the spicy salt to my next order 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    edited August 2022
    RyanStl said:

I'll take Walmart over Target any day of the week. (As a consumer and not an employee) Mainly because of the automotive section. 90% of my stops in Walmart is automotive related. Target is too bland. No grill section, automotive section, and most food related items are stocked when in a pinch or on vacation.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited August 2022
    That seems crazy expensive for an 8oz container of soy sauce.  I take Kenji's advice and get 1 liter bottles of Yomasa at the Asian market for $3. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,331
    SonVolt said:
    That seems crazy expensive for an 8oz container of soy sauce.  I take Kenji's advice and get 1 liter bottles of Yomasa at the Asian market for $3. 
    You need introduced to the Japanese crack.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/haku-mizunara-whisky-barrel-aged-shoyu/

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    ColtsFan said:
    SonVolt said:

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/haku-mizunara-whisky-barrel-aged-shoyu/

this actually is worth the money as a finishing sauce, cheap stuff goes in marinades etc

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    ColtsFan said:
    SonVolt said:

this actually is worth the money as a finishing sauce, cheap stuff goes in marinades etc

Same here, I'm on my third bottle.  I buy Kikkoman's by the quart for cooking/marinating.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited August 2022
    SonVolt said:
    Mad Dog 20/20 will get you drunk just like a Speyside Single Malt Scotch would, doesn't mean they are the same.

I wouldn't use this for a marinade though, would use it as a finishing sauce, or in a dipping sauce.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited August 2022
    Buffalo Trace would probably be a better analogy than Mad Dog (Yamasa is a good product unlike that gut rot MD 20/20) but I get your point.  I'll have to pick up a bottle next time I'm in Whole Foods. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Buffalo Trace is probably a much better comparison.  I too like Yamasa.  These are my daily Soy Sauces. (Dark and Light)

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,642
    edited August 2022
    What happened at target @Ozzie_Isaac.  Much better scenery in there than Walmart....

Edit: apparently I can't type tonight.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited August 2022
    What happened at target @Ozzie_Isaac.  Much scenery in there than Walmart..
    Gonna sound petty, but here goes:

When my wife and I were young and barely had two nickels to rub together, we received a set of baby monitors as a baby shower gift.  We had an old pair left over from our previous child.  The box had the Target price tag on it.  It was brand new and unopened, I brought it to target to return it.  Figured we could use the money for diapers and some toys.  The Target manager was incredibly rude and mean.  Said no return without a receipt.  I told her I just wanted store credit and it had their price tag on it.  She told me "how do you know it was bought here!" She got real angry with me when I showed her the Target Price Tag and SKU.  Told me to leave and never come back.  So I did.

I ended up going to Walmart and bought diapers and was talking to the cashier.  What happened at Target came up.  She told me to go talk to customer service.  I went to customer service and the manager told me he would accept the "return".  I brought it in and showed him the target price tag and sku.  Said I know it wasn't bought here.  He said no problem he would even give me the target price on it, even though it was a few bucks cheaper at Walmart.  I took the money and went and bought some toys for my son from Walmart.

Ever since then (about 16 years ago), I have a grudge against Target and they are a last resort for me.  I think the monitors were like $34 or so.
  • I am picking up what you are putting down @Ozzie_Isaac that would be enough for me, and I can't think of anything you can only get at Target.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Yeah, they do want the receipt.