Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finishing a brisket in the oven

CB
CB Posts: 1
Has anyone ever finished cooking their brisket in the oven after wrapping it?  If so did it turn out okay?

Comments

• Nothing wrong with that at all. Once something is wrapped, the egg is basically acting as an oven. 
    Snellville, GA

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    All the time 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • bbracey21
    bbracey21 Posts: 319
    I have done it the past 2 times after wrapping. Almost prefer it bc I don’t have to worry about fuel load & maintaining temp on the egg. I don’t have a controller. 
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    +1. All the time. I don't have to monitor the temp and can tend to (drink with) my guests. Cause I only do brisket for a crowd. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Yep same here. But I never wrap brisket when cooking. What I will do if need be is throw it in a foil pan and cover the top with foil. Then throw it in the oven to finish. I only use butcher paper for the rest. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,427
    Use the tools at your disposal.  It's already been said. . . The brisket won't pick up any more smoke.  I've taken it off the egg, let it rest for a half hour, then wrapped in foil.  I placed in cooler with towels.  I monitored the temps.  Once it headed south of 150, I put wrapped brisket in oven at 175 to "hold" it.  One of the best I've done.  Also for whatever reason... run out of lump,  weather,  change of location,  finish in oven.  It will be great! 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    I've been doing that lately, whether in foil or butcher paper. It saves the lump for doing what lump does best, adding flavor.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    My last brisket was finished in the oven, after wrapping. It was the best result in terms of juiciness and tenderness, I have EVER had. I will be doing this always in the future.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • UncleKeith
    UncleKeith Posts: 39
    The last one I did I got to temp on the egg then wrapped in butcher paper and throttle down the egg to 125 and let it ride for two hours. Then in a cooler for two more hours and it came out the best I’ve done so far.

Check Chud’s BBQ on YouTube. He’s put up more than a few brisket videos where he states he rested them overnight in a toaster oven.