Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuck Thermometer

Options
Greetings! I did a half-a$$ed search for this but didn't find anything. I can't get my dome thermometer out to calibrate it. It'll pull about 1/2:" out and then hangs up on the crud build up. I used some crumpled HDAF to try and scrape the crud off to little avail. Any suggestions as to how to remove the crud and get the thermo out?

TIA.

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
XL BGE, Woo2, AR

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,771
    Options
    Get the egg hot, should loosen it up 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,138
    Options
    Did you remove the clip?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    Is it busted?  If so, just cut off the probe end ...
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,540
    Options
    Do you have a heat gun or hair dryer?
    canuckland
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,901
    Options
    If as Ozzie asked…your clip has been removed then you may just have bent the probe sometime somehow. In that case neither heat, nor scraping will help…you just need to look inside and see how bent it is so you can carefully straighten it and then carefully pull it out.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 235
    Options
    No clip - removed that years ago.  I'll try warming it up and see if that works.  Thanks, all.

Kevin

XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• 55Kevy
    Options
    Oh, and it's not bent. I was hoping for a magic elixir that would dissolve the gunk.

Kevin

XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,901
    Options
    55Kevy said:
    Oh, and it's not bent. I was hoping for a magic elixir that would dissolve the gunk.
    Elbow grease using the sharp edge of a knife would be best…versus using a harsh chemical such as Easy Off oven cleaner which would dissolve the crud…but would cause you other UNDESIRABLE effects inside your dome! GO WITH ELBOW GREASE or just cut it off and buy a new one!  
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Heating it up should get it done. Best of luck, let us know how it turned out.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • 55Kevy
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Heating it was the trick. I got it out and calibrated.

Kevin

XL BGE, Woo2, AR