Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

White oak charred bourbon barrel smoked Peach Butt

Options
YukonRon
YukonRon Posts: 16,989
Turning out fine, neighbors across the street could smell the cook. 10lb at start, 15 hour cook. Going to feed some neighbors tonight.
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Turning out fine, neighbors across the street could smell the cook. 10lb at start, 15 hour cook. Going to feed some neighbors tonight.
    Gawjus!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Would love to be your neighbor. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Meteor butt!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Looks like my brain after the BAM Blast.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Gorgeous! I saw one just like it on my last trip to the Big Island... :)

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    hellofa bark!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Man o man…. Pull that thing!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Man o man…. Pull that thing!!!
    I did. Sent 4 pounds out to neighbors, keeping the rest here. It turned out awesome, the bark had a spicy, smokey, salty, sweet flavor similar in texture to a soft taffy, the meat was juicy and delicious. The preserves as they cook seal the juices in, and man, what flavor shown through from the molasses and pickling salt brine. If this won’t make you a porkaphile, nothing will. 

Take care my friend! Hope to see you again, sometime real soon.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    That is one fine looking pork butt.  Curious about your choice of wood as I thought you were committed to peach.  Did you notice a difference with the oak?
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • YukonRon
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    That is one fine looking pork butt.  Curious about your choice of wood as I thought you were committed to peach.  Did you notice a difference with the oak?
    You are absolutely correct. I am totally committed to peach wood for smoking pork. 

However living in Louisville, and my home no more than 15 minutes away from about 20 distilleries, I have easy access to the good stuff, bourbon barrel speaking, of course. I thought I would try some of this pile I had purchased on my next few cooks, no matter what I would put on the egg, just to experiment. 

And this is what I have found:

I really like it better when mixed with pecan for beef and lamb, and straight up on beef sausages. 

It was good with pork ribs, very good actually, but I still prefer peach 100%

It was great with the pork butt, however I prefer 100% peach for sure.

it was excellent with fish, I will use it in the future, and excellent with poultry.

Smoked cheeses were very good, I did Gouda, and it was very good, and a medium and sharp cheddar which also came out very nice.

When doing the butt, the smoke from the charred oak threw off the flavor profile, I typically enjoy, not that it was bad at all, it was very good, but I just preferred the peach smoke better. The neighbors did not complain on the flavor at all, but they did notice the aroma while cooking was different than what they were used to catching, while outdoors.

They all said it was a bit different, but enjoyed the flavor. Only one said she thought the peach smoke was her favorite, the others voiced no opinion on favorites.

Will it work? Absolutely. But as long as I have access to peach, that will be my go to. The sweetness of that smoke just works better for me.

I hope that answers your question, let me know if you need any other information I will be glad to help in any way I can.

Thank you for the kind words. Means a lot my friend.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    loco_engr said:
    hellofa bark!
    Peach preserves and this mystery rub I came up with makes a delicious bark. I cross hatched the fat side of the Butt, with no trimming, and placed it fat side up. The cracklin that evolved due to that manner of cooking, yielded some of the best tasting morsels I have ever snuck a taste of. 

I am excited to try it again. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    @johnmitchell

Thank you, the goal was bark, and I was fortunate it got there. It was delicious. I made a large batch of red beans and rice, added a pound of this butt to it, and froze it in food saver bags for camping and back packing for our upcoming trip to Colorado. We might get tired on the hike, but we will not get hungry. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    @HeavyG
    That my friend is very cool! I hope you enjoyed your trip. Will you go back or was that itch scratched? I have heard many opinions from different folks. Just curious about yours.

Thank you for checking out my post.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    @Foghorn

If I were your neighbor, I would love it too. Thank you for the kind words.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    @northGAcock

Come on up. Got a wine cellar we need to go through, and I might cook something too, while you are here.

thank you for the kind words and being such a good friend.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky