Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood fired - super crust

Options
jdMyers
jdMyers Posts: 1,336
So first real cook since leg break.  Thick cut ribeyea, shrimp and scallops.  All wood fired.  Love this crust!

The crust
https://youtu.be/9ssA9haDmpo
Columbus, Ohio

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,179
    Options
    Looks amazing!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,592
    Options
    Fantastic!!!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • jdMyers
    Options
    Have to admit the last one the video, nearly lost all the hair on my hand thru the gloves
    Columbus, Ohio
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Cool, that's the first time I've seen someone use one of those pizza cookers for something other than pizza 
  • jdMyers
    Options
    Oh I'm fat!  And thanks
    Columbus, Ohio
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,732
    Options
    Fabulous. And, glad to see you're back on your feet (literally). 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jdMyers
    Options
    took this today.  Thanks for the support.  The folks in this group got me thru a ruff time.  
    Columbus, Ohio
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,035
    Options
    jdMyers said:
    Have to admit the last one the video, nearly lost all the hair on my hand thru the gloves
    Damn that's hot!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • crenshawco2
    Options
    jdMyers, tell me about those plates you are searing the steaks on? 
  • jdMyers
    Options
     https://www.theoysterbed.com/

Worth their weight in gold.  Handles 1000 degrees no problem.  Non stick.  Rinse right off.  At first I fussed about them.  Now I swear by them.  Also lifetime warranty.  Feels like cast aluminum cooks like cast iron cleans like teflon.
    Columbus, Ohio
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,476
    Options
    How did I miss this til now?  Nailed that finish on the steak.  Great spread across the board.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    jdMyers said:

Worth their weight in gold.  Handles 1000 degrees no problem.  Non stick.  Rinse right off.  At first I fussed about them.  Now I swear by them.  Also lifetime warranty.  Feels like cast aluminum cooks like cast iron cleans like teflon.
    I currently use cast iron for my steaks and stuff in the WO.  Do you find the aluminum trays work better?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2022
    Options
    jdMyers said:

Almost all my wood fired oven cookware is thick gauge cast aluminum. It's so much easier to maneuver than heavy cast iron. 

Have you got a Tuscan grill? You can rake some coals under it and you get the best of both worlds. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    That’s some good looking food! Glad your back at it. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited June 2022
    Options
    @SonVolt and @jdMyers you both cost me so more dinero.

For those looking at https://www.theoysterbed.com , they have a 20% off coupon code: DAD22
  • jdMyers
    edited June 2022
    Options
    For those interested this is the middle sized oyster pan.  There is a 3 finger paw print smaller and a massive larger one.  This medium fits the large egg as well.  This cook was after the steaks. 800 degrees

https://youtube.com/shorts/Wf-t8DP9eYk?feature=share
    Columbus, Ohio
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,674
    Options
    @SonVolt and @jdMyers you both cost me so more dinero.

For those looking at https://www.theoysterbed.com , they have a 20% off coupon code: DAD22
    🤦‍♂️

Options
    Instead of a Tuscany rack, I use a alfa bbq500.  It's a Tuscany rack and pan to hold the coals.  I kept getting dripping in between coals and on my oven floor.  This removed that.  It also rotates and slides 

Columbus, Ohio
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Nice….seems to me the tongs should be longer though, ya know, to preserve arm hair.
    Options
    Normally you are so right but you can spin and pull the whole thing to the edge.  
    Columbus, Ohio
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2022
    Options
    jdMyers said:
    Instead of a Tuscany rack, I use a alfa bbq500.  It's a Tuscany rack and pan to hold the coals.  I kept getting dripping in between coals and on my oven floor.  This removed that.  It also rotates and slides 

I don't know about your specific oven, but usually you don't have to worry about drippings on the stone. The high-heat burns it off. I've roasted a Leg of Lamb in mine that throws off an ungodly amount of fat and you'd never know it the next time the temp hits 700F+. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Nice….seems to me the tongs should be longer though, ya know, to preserve arm hair.
    You do a surprising amount of cooking in the door way and the front stoop. Long tongs are not necessary there.  I pretty much only use a small pizza turner for moving things deep in the oven.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Good to know.  I have a roccbox and no problems thus far