Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2022 garden

Options
The garden that I planted for Dad. Green tomatoes already on the vine as well as squash.

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Looks great. And hard to beat doing something for a loved one, be they family or friend. Please show us the yield when the time comes!
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    I started the tomatoes and peppers from seed. They are at: my house, younger sisters garden, older sisters garden, nieces garden, nephews garden. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    It just stopped snowing here but will be in the 80s next week. No garden this year.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • BigGreenKev
    BigGreenKev Posts: 253
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    It just stopped snowing here but will be in the 80s next week. No garden this year.  
    Sounds like MN....
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,650
    Options
    Looks killer @Gulfcoastguy in way behind, we had a storm rip the cover off my greenhouse which totally screwed me. But I’m back on track just behind 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    tilled my garden yesterday and finally planted some seeds. Tomatoes and peppers waiting to go but have to a little Harding first and avoid the blast of 88degree sunny days this week in southern wisconsin. Then I will plant hopefully by Friday with out cooking them off staging the gate. Weather has been a drag hear. Hope we’re back to norm next week. Wish I had green tomatoes this time of year but will never be here. Look great keep up the great work.
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • JohnfromKentucky
    Options
    Nice. We planted our tomatoes and pepper plants the other day. Around here, the saying is to wait until Derby then plant
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Around here they say plant on Good Friday but that is a week or two later than you really have to wait. Usually, sometimes we are running out to cover tomato plants with buckets but it usually is safe by the last week in March. I saw
     my brother in laws garden today. He waited until after Easter and thus is a bit behind.  Well fertilized though, he moved his chicken pen and planted in the old chicken yard.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    three more weeks to even start thinking about planting here. mornings have been way too cold this spring
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    Up here Victoria Day in late May is popular planting weekend, I prefer to wait till first week in June.
    canuckland
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Two truck beds of top soil/compost from the organic recycle center down the road this evening. We need to make a couple more trips this week yet. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    We bought some poblanos, tomato, and cilantro for this year. Hoping to make some great salsa, stuffed peppers, maybe some fried green tomatoes!
    I've read that cilantro needs to be replanted monthly, it doesn't live very long.  I've never tried growing it myself, though.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    Wait until the first full moon in June here, for anything other than onions and potatoes.

Having lots of issues the last couple years with onion flys, ants and other insects. Is diatomaceous earth the answer?
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,650
    Options
    It’s pretty hardy @Botch it grows and flowers fast.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Well I had a green tomato on at my house today. Unfortunately the bottom was rotten . Probably blossom end rot from irregular watering as we are in a low grade drought combined with a heat wave right now.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Legume said:
    Botch said:
    We bought some poblanos, tomato, and cilantro for this year. Hoping to make some great salsa, stuffed peppers, maybe some fried green tomatoes!
    I've read that cilantro needs to be replanted monthly, it doesn't live very long.  I've never tried growing it myself, though.  
    Like basil, keep pinching the new growth back or it will flower and go to seed
    (cilantro—>coriander).  If you can keep it from flowering it will keep growing as cilantro.

Or let it flower and collect the seeds.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Legume said:
    Botch said:
    (cilantro—>coriander).  If you can keep it from flowering it will keep growing as cilantro.
    Thanks for the tip, we love cilantro but pretty much gave up growing it due to the short duration especially when weather warms up.
    canuckland
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    Legume said:
    Botch said:
    Thanks for the tip, we love cilantro but pretty much gave up growing it due to the short duration especially when weather warms up.
    Cilantro is cheap to buy, so the only benefit to growing is having it handy.  For some reason basil is expensive to buy, so always worth growing to me.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Does culantro grow up there.  Tastes the same, slightly stronger,. Holds up better when cooked with soup and meat. No flowers or seedd
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Does culantro grow up there.  Tastes the same, slightly stronger,. Holds up better when cooked with soup and meat. No flowers or seedd

Culantro does flower (at least here in the heat), but it is the shizzle.
    NOLA
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Legume said:
    Legume said:
    Botch said:
    (cilantro—>coriander).  If you can keep it from flowering it will keep growing as cilantro., 
    Cilantro is cheap to buy, so the only benefit to growing is having it handy.  For some reason basil is expensive to buy, so always worth growing to me.
    Exactly, it's so nice to just pick from the garden, swmbo figured out how to keep cilantro in decent shape for 2-3 weeks if bought in good condition.

We probably consume as much or more cilantro than basil, last few years we had oversupply of basil from the garden and froze it. We also started growing Thai basil last year, great for Asian dishes.
    canuckland
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Legume said:
    Legume said:
    Botch said:
    (cilantro—>coriander).  If you can keep it from flowering it will keep growing as cilantro., 
    Exactly, it's so nice to just pick from the garden, swmbo figured out how to keep cilantro in decent shape for 2-3 weeks if bought in good condition.

We probably consume as much or more cilantro than basil, last few years we had oversupply of basil from the garden and froze it. We also started growing Thai basil last year, great for Asian dishes.

I already can't stop my thai basil from flowering.  But it reminds me of several years ago when we had a brick patio and everything went to seed and I was knee deep in thai basil in a 20x20 ft area.  God that smelled good.
    NOLA
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 940
    Options
    I just planted my a$$ on the couch. I don't expect much to grow from it, especially since I put a roof on the place. Before that, if I planted my a$$ anywhere in the house, I always had to worry about what would grow out of it, even after I stood up and left. Hell ... I stopped eating seeds years ago, just in case. Before the roof was put on was rough, one spring ... I didn't sleep for maybe 4 days straight, because I misunderstood the Farmers Almanac, when I read a warning about not planting a tuber in your bed too early, I was too afraid I'd rollover. 

Gardening is confusing.

Ybabpmuts 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Legume said:
    I didn't think that was the case here, I'll have to double-check.

It took me 20 years, but I finally figured out how to grow basil.  I had been under-watering them for the first 10 (finally figured it out when I noticed how heavy pre-potted plants were).  Then, I had been trimming the full-size leaves from the bottom, letting the newer tops reach maturation.  Nope; bad botch!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Canugghead
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Legume said:
    Legume said:
    Botch said:

I already can't stop my thai basil from flowering.  But it reminds me of several years ago when we had a brick patio and everything went to seed and I was knee deep in thai basil in a 20x20 ft area.  God that smelled good.
    Dayum, that's half the size of my postage stamp backyard  :(
    canuckland
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    I need to start some Thai basil again.  So many basils that are good.
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 940
    Options
    I finally dried up enough to plant this past week too.  Before that .. I was so so so bloated with water, that I didn't dare plant anything, because .. you know .. you read the reports about global warming .. and how we all should conserve water .. and yada yada yada .. next thing you realize ...  your body really is like a big canteen .. which means it could be a type of truck, or a casual place to get a drink, and if it's either of those things ..  that's pretty damned cool. 

Ybabpmuts