Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2022 garden

Options
2»

Comments

• ArvadaMan
    ArvadaMan Posts: 260
    Options
    The garden is going crazy.  The snow peas are a foot tall.  We are beginning to harvest our first greens (lettuce, mustard, and Swiss chard.). Using green onions out of the garden.  Our daughter started a huge number of tomatoes from seed this year so it will be a chore to find places to plant all of them!
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,297
    Options
    Other than hot peppers this years garden has just about played out. The blueberries and figs did excellent and the pomegranate bush has it's first fruit on it now. Debating a fall garden but this green caterpillars invade cabbage and related crops in the fall before it cools down. Wait until it cools down and they don't have enough sunlight to make.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options

slow year for tomatos this year, most of the spring was high 40's at night so not much fruit set so far. peppers been doing well though. new one for me, some type of hot cayenne in purple, not bad

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    tomatoes just turning color but tis the season for tomato hornworms.  this one gets to stay in the garden. these buggers eat fast

fukahwee maine

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    That one is fahked.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    Options
    That one is fahked.

im not sure how its still able to hold onto the plant. didnt see any on the big plants but im sure they pop up by the weekend. ducks go crazy for them when i start tossing them in the water
    fukahwee maine

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Agree with fish, our tomato yield is really poor. Could be our fault though, planted them out whole month later than usual, life got in the way  :)
    canuckland
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Agree with fish, our tomato yield is really poor. Could be our fault though, planted them out whole month later than usual, life got in the way  :)

nights here were too cold for about 6 weeks after planting so not much for flowering early on. by the time they flowered the beach roses were in full bloom which stole all the bees.  plants are half what they have been in the past
    fukahwee maine

• Canugghead
    Options
    Squash not doing well either, first time trying them. Getting one lousy fruit per plant.

canuckland
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Watered too much with the summer rains and got way more vegetative growth (being away 3 weeks didn’t help either).  Tomatoes have a good case of powdery mildew.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Squash not doing well either, first time trying them. Getting one lousy fruit per plant.

did squash one year, just got flowers, strawberries and herbs grow there now
    fukahwee maine

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    Add me to the camp with bad tomato output this year.  We had cold evenings, even some frost warnings, into late May.  So it was last week in May before they got in the ground, then too many days of too much heat (upper 90's and low 100's) coupled with sparse rainstorms.  San Marzano is putting up the good fight and have started picking some of them.  Beefsteaks are looking to be a big disappointment, but not giving up on them yet.
    Jalapenos, Habanaros are looking great, none are ready to be picked.
    One Serrano plant this year, it's tall (about 4') and spindly, that I thought was going good.  Last few days noticed several developing fruits have bore holes in them, couple have fallen off the plant.  No obvious insect/critter activity around them.  I've grown peppers for many years and have never experienced insect damage to them.  Anybody have thoughts on what is causing this damage?  The ones shown are about 3" @alaskanassasin

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I am not sure, I have never had that problem before @dbCooper I usually spray with captain jacks deadbug organic pesticide if I have problems. luckily I have not seen any horn worms or had any issues yet, looking like a bumper crop of san marzano and larger tomatoes, been giving them away by the box.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Canugghead
    Options
    @fishlessman we learned to cook squash flowers this year and love it.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Someone wanted to buy my cracked XL base for $75, swmbo said no…

The guy few doors from our daughter is a competitive city pumpkin grower. Poor guy lost his solo crop last year to some sort of rot.  Here’s this year’s candidate to be hauled to the country fair for weigh in. Look at the leaves! apparently he sprays them with fungicide weekly!

canuckland
  • fishlessman
    Options
    @fishlessman we learned to cook squash flowers this year and love it.
    I have to keep a low profile with conservation on a drinking water supply. So if it don't produce in my three four foot raised beds it's gone the next year. I have other areas in crates up off the ground but my raised beds are positioned on a spring. They seem not to care about all the blueberry plants or the cranberries and the horseradish just looks like a weed. Hoping the straw berries come back next year, they look strong. My lawn is a third mint near the water. Works for me, it grows in a foot of water and it's not the Lebanese stuff I planted
    fukahwee maine

• Canugghead
    Options
    @fishlessman I hear you. Our garden soil is pretty much clay, somehow oregano, mint, thyme, green onion, chives and sage manage to survive perennially. Vegetables are all grown in a raised bed and containers. As you can see in the bge pot photo, grass is dry to the bone, stopped watering the lawn years ago. We pay for metered city water and the sewer discharge costs more than the supply! I ease the pain with four rain barrels  :)
    canuckland
  • fishlessman
    Options
    @fishlessman I hear you. Our garden soil is pretty much clay, somehow oregano, mint, thyme, green onion, chives and sage manage to survive perennially. Vegetables are all grown in a raised bed and containers. As you can see in the bge pot photo, grass is dry to the bone, stopped watering the lawn years ago. We pay for metered city water and the sewer discharge costs more than the supply! I ease the pain with four rain barrels  :)
    Anything this year that needs water is from the river with buckets. My driven point for the well is twelve feet down and the neighbors just went dry. No water for the grass this year but it's remarkedly green
    fukahwee maine

• littlerascal56
    Options
    Bad year for tomatoes, but good year for hemp crops!
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I will probably rototill up a couple of rows in Dad’s garden this weekend. I have three types of kale seed on order. Mom has been put on a renal diet due to high potassium levels. I have to convince her that she likes eggplant, okra, and kale and doesn’t miss tomatoes, squash, beans, whole wheat bread, and dairy products.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I'm done with growing tomatoes forever.  But I'm about to have a bushel of scorpion peppers.
    NOLA
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Yep I will probably pick a sack full of Anchos, Jalapeños, and Chocolate Habaneros this weekend.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Yep I will probably pick a sack full of Anchos, Jalapeños, and Chocolate Habaneros this weekend.

Isn't an ancho a dried poblano?
    NOLA
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    buzd504 said:

Isn't an ancho a dried poblano?
    Hey just saying what the seed packet said.