Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Japanese or European cooking knives?

Options
2»

Comments

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Everyone should try a sharp japanese chef's knife at least once to see what they are missing.
    Mountain View, CA
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    dmourati said:
    Everyone should try a sharp japanese chef's knife at least once to see what they are missing.

I love my Japanese knives.
    NOLA
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,443
    Options
    Shun knives here. Biggest issue I have with them is deciding which one to get next
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,909
    edited April 2022
    Options
    dmourati said:
    Not being a clown here, but does anyone have a link explaining the difference between  “Japanese” and the “Asian” blades that I and others have even suggesting? 

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    I meant Japanese specifically. When I think of other asian knives, the Chinese cleaver is the first thing to my mind, at least in the kitchen. I haven't venture that far out in other asian knives though.

Re-reading your earlier post, I think you are talking about sharpening angles, which are indeed different too. I am more talking about the steel, profile, and origin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO35cdWL1MQ
    Mountain View, CA
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    RRP said:
    dmourati said:
    Not being a clown here, but does anyone have a link explaining the difference between  “Japanese” and the “Asian” blades that I and others have even suggesting? 

Adding to dmourati, you had two posts suggesting Victorinox, which is a valid suggestion. No matter the shape (if shaped like an Asian knife) that's not what people are talking about when they say Japanese. When talking Japanese many are speaking more of the steel than anything. You can get Japanese knives shaped western style, but it's still Japanese.  I think many that say Japanese are also talking steel, shape, blade angle, hardness, and to a lesser extent handle style.

A Wusthof santoku is still a German knife for example.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,807
    Options

didnt know shun made a folding vg10 steak pocket knife.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 567
    edited April 2022
    Options
    I agree with RRP but would also add Dexter Russel     I use both of these and sharpen with a Chefs Choice TRIZOR 15 electric sharpener.  I also have a set of the ORIGINAL Knuckle Sandwhich Knives from Guy that I also like and they were fairly inexpensive. 
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options

Because one never knows when they may face a dreaded cutlery emergency at the steakhouse. 
  • 2HB
    2HB Posts: 19
    Options
    You get what you pay for (for the most part). 

The biggest difference between Japanese and German knives is in the steel. German knives are made out of softer steel, which has some advantages. For example, you can twist and abuse a good German knife with little worry over the knife getting chipped, bent, or otherwise damaged. I have a Henckel chef's knife that is now over 30 years old (it was one of the first things I bought when I moved out on my own). I still use it for cutting really tough squashes, etc.

Japanese knives are made out of harder steels. Harder steel keeps its edge longer, so you can create a bevel (the edge of the knife) that is at a very shallow angle. A shallow angle means a really sharp edge that will stay sharp for a long time compared to a knife with a steeper bevel. While a steeper bevel has more metal very near to the edge and is therefore less prone to chipping, etc., it only takes a few cuts for the sharp edge to lose its cutting edge. 

So if you have a German knife, it is really useful to have a honing rod. When that edge gets rolled over after a few cuts, you run the blade along the honing rod, which pushes the edge back into place, and away you go with a sharp edge again. After doing that for a while, the edge becomes dull, and you have to sharpen.  So a big advantage of a Japanese knife is that you can keep a screamin' sharp edge for a long time, whereas a German knife needs attention on a very regular basis, if you want to keep a really sharp edge.  

Have you ever been cutting an onion and the knife got away on you a bit? That's a dangerously dull knife that you should not be using until you get it sharpened.

My Japanese knives keep their edges long enough that I notice it immediately when the knife has lost its cutting feel. That's when I know to sharpen it, and that usually happens 2-4 times a year depending on the knife. I use my knives multiple times per day, every day.

When you get used to the cutting feel of a good knife, your cutting skills get a lot better. You get a lot faster and a lot more precise. Suddenly you start to notice that the food is better when the same veggies are cut to the same size, and that since its pretty easy to cut the carrots, onions, and celery into really small pieces, your sofrito really is better, too. I like really thin onion slices in my baked beans. And my French fries are way better now as well. In short, my Japanese knives have helped me to grow and improve in my cooking and food prep.  

• fishlessman
    Options

Because one never knows when they may face a dreaded cutlery emergency at the steakhouse. 
    I  may get this. Just for bonefire bbq emergencies and for serving trout to eagles off the boat
    fukahwee maine

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    2HB said:
    You get what you pay for (for the most part). 

The biggest difference between Japanese and German knives is in the steel. German knives are made out of softer steel, which has some advantages. For example, you can twist and abuse a good German knife with little worry over the knife getting chipped, bent, or otherwise damaged. I have a Henckel chef's knife that is now over 30 years old (it was one of the first things I bought when I moved out on my own). I still use it for cutting really tough squashes, etc.

Japanese knives are made out of harder steels. Harder steel keeps its edge longer, so you can create a bevel (the edge of the knife) that is at a very shallow angle. A shallow angle means a really sharp edge that will stay sharp for a long time compared to a knife with a steeper bevel. While a steeper bevel has more metal very near to the edge and is therefore less prone to chipping, etc., it only takes a few cuts for the sharp edge to lose its cutting edge. 

So if you have a German knife, it is really useful to have a honing rod. When that edge gets rolled over after a few cuts, you run the blade along the honing rod, which pushes the edge back into place, and away you go with a sharp edge again. After doing that for a while, the edge becomes dull, and you have to sharpen.  So a big advantage of a Japanese knife is that you can keep a screamin' sharp edge for a long time, whereas a German knife needs attention on a very regular basis, if you want to keep a really sharp edge.  

Have you ever been cutting an onion and the knife got away on you a bit? That's a dangerously dull knife that you should not be using until you get it sharpened.

My Japanese knives keep their edges long enough that I notice it immediately when the knife has lost its cutting feel. That's when I know to sharpen it, and that usually happens 2-4 times a year depending on the knife. I use my knives multiple times per day, every day.

When you get used to the cutting feel of a good knife, your cutting skills get a lot better. You get a lot faster and a lot more precise. Suddenly you start to notice that the food is better when the same veggies are cut to the same size, and that since its pretty easy to cut the carrots, onions, and celery into really small pieces, your sofrito really is better, too. I like really thin onion slices in my baked beans. And my French fries are way better now as well. In short, my Japanese knives have helped me to grow and improve in my cooking and food prep.  

This is a very good perspective. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,452
    Options
    @2HB - The above is a concise and loaded tutorial.  Very insightful and useful.
    Many thanks.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,431
    Options

I  may get this. Just for bonefire bbq emergencies and for serving trout to eagles off the boat
    If I had a nickel for every time I served trout to an eagle off a boat.  . . 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,685
    Options

Is that the same as having bears steal your salmon off the river bank?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,909
    edited April 2022
    Options

Me neither... but by the way, and I mean WAY back to 1963 as a freshman living in a dormitory the AA guy across the hall who was from KC, MO carried a blade (no sheath) quite similar to that and would show/challenge ANYONE who even seemed to disagree with him.

Trust me it scared the living sh*t out of the rest of us there...BUT he flunked out before the end of that first year, and we never knew why...but...oh never mind...
  • fishlessman
    Options
    kl8ton said:

If I had a nickel for every time I served trout to an eagle off a boat.  . . 

nest near where i fish, been trying to get them to catch one. they come to the boat if i just hold the fish up. toss the fish and hold the dog back.  with covid and no body fishing they changed the nest site last year, hope they come back to it this year. its a sight two see two flying low behind the boat racing to feed the young ones
    fukahwee maine

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Do they taste like Chicken?  Direct or indirect?
    Clinton, Iowa
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    Do they taste like Chicken?  Direct or indirect?

if you can climb the tree and survive the eagle attack, the younguns might be good. if you lost a cat, the nest is a good place to look for its collar as well
    fukahwee maine

• Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    Options
    @MediumRarely, Spot on!  Knives must feel as if they are an extension of your hand, have good balance and quality steel. I prefer Zwilling/Henkle, have mine for 30 years.
    LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe