Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE "new" modern farmhouse table/Challenger Torch

I am in the market for a new table.. The old BGE table is no longer available and they are coming out with a new "modern farmhouse design" table. Also there are the Challenger Torch tables. I was in a store looking at the Challenger torch and noticed that one storeroom model was pretty scratched up. It turns out that while the metal construction is good for not rusting, etc., the finishes can be prone to scratches from normal use (counters with egg racks, grates, sheet pans and drawers with spatulas, etc.).. Bottom line, it's quite an investment.. is the finish going to hold up? Any experiences? Sales manager at Challenger told me "the finish is like a car's finish, you wouldn't put a pizza stone on your car hood". What an idiotic response...

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Just curious why you characterize his response as "idiotic"? 

From the feedback I've heard, chemicals are the biggest culprit I've heard about. I think it was a can of bug spray. I'd be somewhat mindful of direct sunlight as well. The sun's a killer on just about anything eventually.

If you are looking for bulletproof durability, then maybe you should see about an all SS cart from @Tspud1. Just be warned, it will scratch too.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    edited March 2022

From the feedback I've heard, chemicals are the biggest culprit I've heard about. I think it was a can of bug spray. I'd be somewhat mindful of direct sunlight as well. The sun's a killer on just about anything eventually.

If you are looking for bulletproof durability, then maybe you should see about an all SS cart from @Tspud1. Just be warned, it will scratch too.
    I agree with @Raymont , that is a foolish response.  You are buying a table that is expected to have hot items set on it, tools laid down, things slide along it.  A car is not designed for that.  Why would you put a delicate car finish on a table?  Two different devices with two entirely different use cases.

Btw, the Challenger tables are beautiful.  My dad has one.  He uses marble pieces with felt under them for on the table top.  Non-issue with hot items or tools with that.  The powder coat on his is soft though.  He babies his, but got a scratch on the side on day 3.  He was very unhappy.  His is from ~2012 so I suspect they have changed processes or suppliers since then.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited March 2022
    It was absolutely an idiotic response. 

I've been really impressed with how well my JJ George table has held up. Eventually I'll yank the top off and replace it with a slab of granite, but the stock wood top has been way more durable that I expected. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544

I agree with @Raymont , that is a foolish response.  You are buying a table that is expected to have hot items set on it, tools laid down, things slide along it.  A car is not designed for that.  Why would you put a delicate car finish on a table?  Two different devices with two entirely different use cases.
    Ok, would you put a hot pizza stone on your kitchen countertop next to the oven? It's not foolish it's the accurate response. You just don't like the response. I would not ever automatically expect I could put 500+ degree items on any finished metal surface, be it a car or grill cart. If it were a wood grill cart would you do the same as its's next to the grill? Heck, I've seen stainless steel discolor from really hot things being set upon them. Simply wrong headed to say "expected to have hot items set on it". That's why trivets and such exist. I don't know if it would handle the heat, but there's no way I would put a hot pizza stone on mine and expect there to be no issue. That's just "foolish".

He was trying to make the point to treat it like a finished surface. maybe not the best analogy, but the grill carts are basically finished pieces of utilitarian furniture. Everything has its limits. Can I throw rocks at the hood of my delicate truck paint? Why not, certainly they are expecting rocks to be kicked up from the highway. The auto industry must be "foolish" to not allow for such expected behavior.

Maybe foolish is too strong? Maybe?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    edited March 2022

Ok, would you put a hot pizza stone on your kitchen countertop next to the oven? It's not foolish it's the accurate response. You just don't like the response. I would not ever automatically expect I could put 500+ degree items on any finished metal surface, be it a car or grill cart. If it were a wood grill cart would you do the same as its's next to the grill? Heck, I've seen stainless steel discolor from really hot things being set upon them. Simply wrong headed to say "expected to have hot items set on it". That's why trivets and such exist. I don't know if it would handle the heat, but there's no way I would put a hot pizza stone on mine and expect there to be no issue. That's just "foolish".

He was trying to make the point to treat it like a finished surface. maybe not the best analogy, but the grill carts are basically finished pieces of utilitarian furniture. Everything has its limits. Can I throw rocks at the hood of my delicate truck paint? Why not, certainly they are expecting rocks to be kicked up from the highway. The auto industry must be "foolish" to not allow for such expected behavior.

I have granite counters and set all sorts of hot items on them.  I prefer hot pads and trivets, but on occasion a hot pan gets set down.

A pizza stone, I would not not set directly on the counter.

His description may have been accurate, but then I would say their design is foolish and miss understands their hardware use case.  As delicate as a cars paint is not a good target for a table top.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    If you are a bit thrifty check out the Wellspring table, I am very happy with mine. The paint is holding up really well.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    would you set a spatula, a jug of barbecue sauce, a knife, a cold beer, a trivet, a torch, bag of charcoal on the hood of your car? dumb ass analogy
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Hey Pete - do y’all sell Challenger carts at your store?
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    Get and @Tspud1 table, I love mine, it can be custom to your order.  Also, on his website there are images of his tables with granite tops, would make for a very durable solution. 
  • Maybe the design basis for tables varies. Some favor form, others function. A fairly wide spectrum I would suppose, especially when considering the budget factor. Most people here may lean toward function, I mean we are talkin' Que. My wife would not tolerate ugly but functional in her space. We couldn't really find anything to buy that would make us both happy. So, I did my best to design a space esthetically pleasing for both of us, and then incorporated materials that maximized the functional aspects of the space (concrete). 

I like the fact that we have this forum to help one another. I am sure Raymont is ultimately going to make a better decision because of the advice and experiences of those here who take the time to help. Maybe not the one I would make, but the best for him.  

Always act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,865
    Legume said:
    Hey Pete - do y’all sell Challenger carts at your store?

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

As Pops occasionally points out, you're defending the indefensible.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,865
    Tspud1 said:
    U_tarded said:
    Get and @Tspud1 table, I love mine, it can be custom to your order.  Also, on his website there are images of his tables with granite tops, would make for a very durable solution. 

Man!  I love it.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Thanks! Always good to come on here and get input. The granite top idea @Tspud1 certainly seems like a significant improvement over existing design if you want function as well as looks. I actually asked the local retail store if they would sell me the challenger cart w/o the top with that same idea.. I got no response. (I could just do it myself but now we are $5k+?)

I have a wood table that I have had for 15 years. I've replaced the wood top 3+ times, but SWMBO wants something new and of course the Challenger carts are pretty -at least in the showroom before use :wink:

I'm leaning towards Function + Value. New wood table/cart and put a granite top on it (leathered finish will stay cool or light colored so kiddos don't get burned). It won't have the nice doors/slide out drawers but probably all in for $1.5k compared to $4k+ and I can actually use it as a table, not just a decoration piece.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    Tspud1 said:
    U_tarded said:

That’s what I’m talking about.
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 900
    Never saw one in person, but I think @Tspud1's tables look like the absolute best way to go.

I bought a Challenger about eight years ago and it still looks to me about as good as it ever did. I consider it one of the best purchases I've made. It certainly hasn't been babied -- kept outdoors all the time.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,359
    Sam expects these; made by challenger, .to hit his store soon. They look nice in the pictures. Don't know what  he'll be asking yet.

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • ChrisSonn23
    ChrisSonn23 Posts: 280

Supposed to be available very soon. The design looks very nice. Haven't seen it in person yet but here is the suggested MSRP
    BGE Dealer and EggHead since 2013. Find our company on Facebook
    Large BGE
    Waterloo, IL
  • Raymont
    Ha..thanks  I actually just put deposit down on the BGE marketed one yesterday. Hope to have it delivered by June 1. Not sure if the countertop will hold up & not scratch up.. but will test it and may add granite top. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    I find it odd that they show the egg sitting directly on the shelf.  No table nest, no spacer, no little green feet.  Marketing folks are funny.

I am not sure I would run one like that.

It says lifetime warranty.  I wonder if that covers sliding a pizza stone around on it.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Langner91 said:
    I find it odd that they show the egg sitting directly on the shelf.  No table nest, no spacer, no little green feet.  Marketing folks are funny.

I am not sure I would run one like that.

It says lifetime warranty.  I wonder if that covers sliding a pizza stone around on it.
    Geez, my car hood doesn’t even have a lifetime warranty.
  • Where is the bottle opener?

Always act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    #depreciated_asset
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    seems like the large egg will be sticking out above table top a bit
  • bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    I think you all are missing perhaps the most important of a table no matter who makes it-- How tall is it???

Tables that are 44"-45" or so in height are dramatically more comfortable and practical to use than one that is 36".
    If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • Raymont
    Good question @Bobroo - Online it says 34", but I am guessing that excludes casters. The challenger carts I saw in person were a good height, would think they would be similar. I measured my current wood table (with casters) and it stands at 33". 44"+ seems pretty tall to me but to each his own.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Most counter heights are 36". The 4'10" Chinese lady is going to be reaching up while 6'5" will be reaching down.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    ...and JIC will be reaching *around*...
    joke of the day there, well done ^^
    South of Columbus, Ohio.