Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermoworks probe failure

I have a themoworks smoke bought last summer. I cook on the egg at least 4 times a week using the smoke for everything. At about 2 months the food probe failed, over temp code but I have the alarm set to 208f and it never got that high. I figured I must have cooked it and didn't go for warranty, bought another probe and have had no problem with it since. Today the ambient probe started reading 50-100f off and then stopped working.  I understand wires don't like repeated bending was prepared to replace a set of probes a year for the amout I use them but 6months is a very short time. I don't wind them up when storing but put them in a freezer bag coiled about three times with no kinks. I really like the unit but the bad readings it gets in the rain when the plugs are wet plus this probe problem is making me look elsewhere. Very disappointed as I just got the gateway to go with it. Is this normal? Am I going to have the same problem if I get a fireboard? The convenience of cooking indirect and a temp probe, not having to keep checking for doneness makes cooking after work easy making a probe a necessity.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    1 long answer…I have seen how hard and crusty those knitted steel cables get from the creosote smoke and fat which quickly ruins them. For years now I have wrapped all my cables even from the cheapies to the most expensive ones. It really is quick, simple and actually last for multiple cooks.

But you also can always contact Thermworks and they MAY replace them for you.

but in the future - a tiny amount of aluminum foil wrap works wonders!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I have found the the ThermoWorks probes to be considerably tougher than other brands.  I have gone through two Flameboss probes in the last year.

it is important to wrap the probes if they are encountering direct heat.  Ideally you should run the probe wire along the platesetter/conveggtor leg to avoid direct heat all together.  

XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 682
    I'd contact TW support. Their chat is very responsive. You might be surprised.

@RRP thanks for the tip wrapping in foil.
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    As mentioned, bending tightly is a common issue.  Do you route your probes over the leg of the plate setter to protect them from direct heat?  This will generally be enough but wrapping in HD foil where they enter the Egg is cheap insurance and pretty much required for direct cooks. 
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,416
    Get the probe wire coils. $6 each. Stops you from folding them up any kind of way for storage. Game-changers
  • I was gifted a Smoke about two years back. Used it for the first time about a year ago, and then when I next went to use it a few months back, one of the probes was shot. It had not been mistreated. My wife called Thermoworks, without any receipt in hand (though we easily could have retrieved one from the gifter if needed) and Thermoworks promptly sent us a replacement probe. Very happy with their service in the circumstances. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited March 2022
    @Slkegger
    See the end of this thread:
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/513627/wire-probe-protection

I tried this some years ago, and it may have worked. I have a FB200, and have had 2 probes go bad, in the several years that I've owned it. But, I don't use it that often, and usually pull it out just for the low and slow cooks. YMMV.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited March 2022
    I was gifted a Smoke about two years back. Used it for the first time about a year ago, and then when I next went to use it a few months back, one of the probes was shot. It had not been mistreated. My wife called Thermoworks, without any receipt in hand (though we easily could have retrieved one from the gifter if needed) and Thermoworks promptly sent us a replacement probe. Very happy with their service in the circumstances. 
    I had a similar experience, except I told them it was my fault and would pay for the probe. Thermoworks sent a replacement at no charge. 

In addition, I have broken the flip-out stand (or whatever they call it) on the transmitter twice. In both cases I told Thermoworks it was my fault and would pay for the replacement. Each time they sent a replacement at no charge.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    ColbyLang said:
    Get the probe wire coils. $6 each. Stops you from folding them up any kind of way for storage. Game-changers
    you mean these? this is what I use 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    6baluts said:
    A very good read; thanks for posting that!   :) 

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    I have the napoleon thermo-probe unit. Have been using them for 4 years, and have had no issues at all.  A couple of things I do, to improve longevity, based on guidance from others on this forum:

- always loosely coil the wire when I put away, in fact I wrap it loosely around my spare hand before I put it away.
    - I never let the wire touch any metal when it's in the BGE
    - I run the wire above one of the legs of the plate setter, so there is no direct heat on it.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 685
    Aluminum foil. A heavy loose wrap. 
  • Slkegger
    Slkegger Posts: 40
    Thanks for all the answers. I didn't mention I never put the probes in till the pit is stable and never do direct over 450f with the probes so thought I was safe from high temp. I use the half moons together for indirect as it's lighter with more coverage but will go back to the platesetter for anything over 350f and route the wires over one leg and see if that will help.  
  • briwald
    briwald Posts: 103
    I have the BGE dual probe thermometer (which I believe is just a reskin of the Maverick ET 733) (https://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Range-Wireless-Smoker-Thermometer/dp/B00O9E9BH6).  I have gone through three probes in about three years.  I just have the replacement probes in my Amazon cart.  I treat my probes pretty decently, not excessively bending them or exposing them to direct heat (pretty much only monitor the food temp when it is a long cook.  For $17.99 to replace the probes, it's cheaper than a new wireless thermometer.
    Maitland, FL
    XL BGE since 2019

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    @RRP is spot on.  Wrapping in foil is the best thing I have found for saving probes.  I also notched my gasket where I feed the wires through.  Since I did those two things, my incidents of failure have gone way down.

Although, my current solution is even better.  Meater+ probes.  No wires at all.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • RRP said:
    1 long answer…I have seen how hard and crusty those knitted steel cables get from the creosote smoke and fat which quickly ruins them. For years now I have wrapped all my cables even from the cheapies to the most expensive ones. It really is quick, simple and actually last for multiple cooks.

But you also can always contact Thermworks and they MAY replace them for you.

but in the future - a tiny amount of aluminum foil wrap works wonders!

+1

Always act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.

• @RRP is spot on.  Wrapping in foil is the best thing I have found for saving probes.  I also notched my gasket where I feed the wires through.  Since I did those two things, my incidents of failure have gone way down.

Although, my current solution is even better.  Meater+ probes.  No wires at all.

+++ have only had mine for about 6 months. Love it.  Waiting for the obvious next step it up.

Always act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.

• danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 682
    Slkegger said:
    Thanks for all the answers. 
    Did you contact TW?
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22