Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Infrared Thermometer Suggestions

1voyager
1voyager Posts: 1,157
edited March 2022 in EggHead Forum
My question wasn't getting views in the "Off Topic" forum so I have added it here. (Thanks @Canugghead for your advice.)
-------------
I searched the forum before starting a new discussion, but suggestions are dated. 

I'm looking for an infrared thermometer in the $20 - $30 range. Suggestions?
Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited March 2022
    Search Amazon. There are a few  available, at that price point. I doubt you need the Lambo of IR thermos (since you asked on a bbq forum). 

I've used mine more for HVAC issues, than for cooking :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    edited March 2022
     I use mine checking my cast iron cookware inside on the stove besides HVAC issues like @caliking said. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    As with Sous Vide, I bought the "Amazon Choice" for IR Thermometer.  I think it was $19 and change a couple of years ago.  It seems to work fine for grilling and around the house.  

Remember, the emissivity of the surface being tested changes how the gun reads the temperature.  Mine works great on cast iron, but not so good on water, for instance.  It is adjustable, but I never bothered to learn how to adjust it for different surfaces.  Someday I will RTFM and figure it out.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    dstearn said:
    Thermowerks
    I also purchased their product and it even had  probe making it even more versatile…but since the OP said he wanted to stick to only $20 to $30 I didn’t mention it.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • UncleKeith
    UncleKeith Posts: 39
    edited March 2022
    I bought a Klein Tools IR 1 on Amazon for about for about $30.00 it works. I can’t seem to figure out how to post a link without including my account info, sorry
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Thanks, everyone. I'm only going to use the IR gun to check the temperature on cast iron, so cheap is good. 
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    cheap will work on dark surfaces, shiny stainless not so much. I have one from Harbor Freight Tools, was about $20 as I recall. Works very well and has a simple push button for Fº or Cº. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!