Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brats on the grill: thoughts?

Somehow I don't think I've ever grilled brats. Just never crossed my mind. Costco had a bunch so I bought a package. Tentative plan: 
Grill the brats raised direct a few minutes per side. Brown but don't burst skin 
Take sliced onions, bell peppers, and sauerkraut and put in an aluminum tray along with beer and brats. Lightly tent with foil, on the grill for 20-25 minutes
Serve on a brioche bun 

Any feedback or thoughts on that method? 
Boom

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited February 2022
    More info than you likely need but check this out:  FWIW-
    Re: Bratwurst what's the best way? 
    Edit to remove the large white space in the original comment.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

• Peppers and onions ready. Will slow simmer on the grill. Will do brats just on the grill. I think I'll skip the sauerkraut this time. 
    Boom
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050

Peppers and onions ready. Will slow simmer on the grill. Will do brats just on the grill. I think I'll skip the sauerkraut this time. End qoute

I've grilled then slow simmered like this in beer, onions, and apples. Tastes so good
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    I like to grill the brats to finish raised direct. I am careful not to burst them, but it happens.

I don't like the consistency if they are cooked in liquid.  I will let them hang out in butter, onions, and beer after they are cooked if I am feeding a bunch of people and want to keep them warm.

Good eating awaits you!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • I cook my brats around the perimeter of the Egg away from the direct fire at around 300 degrees and then direct at about 400 until they color up.  I think the low and slow along with the direct grilling keeps that easy bite through snap on the brat casing.
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544

Peppers and onions ready. Will slow simmer on the grill. Will do brats just on the grill. I think I'll skip the sauerkraut this time. 
    😳😳😳😳😳😳😳
  • Somehow I don't think I've ever grilled brats. Just never crossed my mind. Costco had a bunch so I bought a package. Tentative plan: 
    Grill the brats raised direct a few minutes per side. Brown but don't burst skin 
    Take sliced onions, bell peppers, and sauerkraut and put in an aluminum tray along with beer and brats. Lightly tent with foil, on the grill for 20-25 minutes
    Serve on a brioche bun 

Overall a good approach. Ditch the brioche bun. I’m in the Melissa Cookston camp of if it’s not on a white bread it’s not bbq. And I highly doubt you’ll see many brioche buns at the tailgate’s at Lambeau Field B)
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Somehow I don't think I've ever grilled brats. Just never crossed my mind. Costco had a bunch so I bought a package. Tentative plan: 
    Serve on a brioche bun 

Overall a good approach. Ditch the brioche bun. I’m in the Melissa Cookston camp of if it’s not on a white bread it’s not bbq. And I highly doubt you’ll see many brioche buns at the tailgate’s at Lambeau Field B)
    You’d be surprised at what is served in the parking lot at Lambeau. They ain’t all roughing it. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Langner91 said:
    I like to grill the brats to finish raised direct. I am careful not to burst them, but it happens.

I don't like the consistency if they are cooked in liquid.  I will let them hang out in butter, onions, and beer after they are cooked if I am feeding a bunch of people and want to keep them warm.

Good eating awaits you!
    This.  I've never understood why cooking a brat in a liquid that would take flavor out of the brat was a good idea.  Do people drink that warm beer that now has brat spices in it?  Like @Langner91 said, it is a reasonable way to keep them warm and moist while they are waiting to be served, but that's about it - at least for me.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn said:
    Langner91 said:

Good eating awaits you!
    This.  I've never understood why cooking a brat in a liquid that would take flavor out of the brat was a good idea.  Do people drink that warm beer that now has brat spices in it?  Like @Langner91 said, it is a reasonable way to keep them warm and moist while they are waiting to be served, but that's about it - at least for me.
    I did save that and use it, along with bone broth, to make rice!
    Boom
  • When I do brats, it’s usually for a group.  Grill them at 300 for 45 minutes. Then throw in a bath of beer & onions, till everyone is ready to eat.  Have rave reviews! 
  • When I do brats, it’s usually for a group.  Grill them at 300 for 45 minutes. Then throw in a bath of beer & onions, till everyone is ready to eat.  Have rave reviews! 

large small and mini all in legal proceedings but i can use them for now no more, all gone                                                                                                                        usa somewhere on the road