Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's Time For Jerk Chicken

1voyager
1voyager Posts: 1,157
edited January 2022 in Poultry
Marinated drumsticks and boneless skin-on thighs in homemade jerk sauce for 24 hours.

The setup:

Platesetter with legs down, aluminum foil balls under drip pan, grate sitting on top of the drip pan. This configuration resulted in the grate being about 1" above the gasket. 

350 degrees @ dome, 390 degrees @ grate. It was 35 degrees outside, so it took almost 2 hours to stabilize.

Here we go...

I set the vents wide open and seared for 15 minutes, then flipped the pieces and seared for another 30 minutes. Flipped one more time and seared until temperature reached 160 degrees. (About ten more minutes.) 

Served immediately with wild rice and warmed marinade on the side.

Great heat from the Scotch Bonnets. Skin was crispy. I must say this was dang good.
Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.

Comments

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Man that looks good! Jerk chicken is one of my favorites, but I rarely cook it right.  Looks like you nailed it!
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • 1voyager
    Thanks, @Hub - If I can do it, you can do it. 
  • Aww heLL yes!!!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • 1voyager
    Thanks, @JohnInCarolina
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @1voyager Love jerk chicken.  Great results right there.
    Care to share your jerk sauce recipe?  Asking for me.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    edited January 2022
    That looks amazing. I've always used Walkerswood jerk seasoning myself but also would love to see your recipe.

I've been to Jamaica several times and asked our cabbie to take me to the best jerk chicken place.  He took us to Scotchies.  It was very authentic with large branches of pimento wood on the fire and all the chicken covered with corrugated metal sheets.  It was good however I was very shocked at how mild the seasoning was.   Another time we had it where they cooked the chicken in a pit in the ground over Pimento wood (another place)and that was fiery hot and oh so delicious!  Wondering if Scotchies gave us mild because we were American lol?
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Very nice!! 

Habaneros can be used, but we also like the flavor and heat of scotch bonnets more.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • stv8r said:
    That looks amazing. I've always used Walkerswood jerk seasoning myself but also would love to see your recipe.

I've been to Jamaica several times and asked our cabbie to take me to the best jerk chicken place.  He took us to Scotchies.  It was very authentic with large branches of pimento wood on the fire and all the chicken covered with corrugated metal sheets.  It was good however I was very shocked at how mild the seasoning was.   Another time we had it where they cooked the chicken in a pit in the ground over Pimento wood (another place)and that was fiery hot and oh so delicious!  Wondering if Scotchies gave us mild because we were American lol?
    Anywhere they take you to is not authentic. It doesn’t mean it’s not good, it’s just a tourist spot. If you saw white people there, it wasn’t where the locals were eating. I lived in Jamaica for a few years, and the best jerk stands were on the side of the road, usually cooked in a single 55 gallon drum pit (in Kingston/Spanish town or somewhere else not touristy like mobay or ochi). Jerk is so varied too, authentic can be many things. 
  • CPARKTX2
    CPARKTX2 Posts: 222
    That looks fantastic!
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    I have always used Walkerswood but, I will am looking forward to trying your recipe.
    Did you use Pimento wood for smoke?
  • 1voyager
    @dstearn - I didn't use Pimento wood. Just Rockwood lump.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Is there a close substitute for Pimento wood?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    loco_engr said:
    Is there a close substitute for Pimento wood?
    Not really, I always use Pimento Wood chips in a foil pack when smoking jerk. Pimentowood.com is the only source that I am aware of. They used to sell pimento sticks and leaves but they have been out of stock for some time. The wood chips do make a difference.