Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood chunk placement

Hey everyone I was wondering where everybody place their wood when doing a low and slow? 

Some say put it at the bottom and put the charcoal on top others say to put it direct on the coals.

i put it direct on the coals and let the dirty smoke clear up before I put my food on. Just wondering how everyone else does it 

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Courtesy pigbeanus

Smoke wood placement  Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking  Experience

Smoke wood placement  Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking  Experience

I miss @PigBeanUs.  Long live that pig and bean farmer…
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,203
    Historically I've used the approach in the illustration above. Over the holidays I did a couple rib roasts and pushed some lemon sized chunks in through the bottom vent. I think it made for a cleaner smoke flavor and the chunks sure lasted longer. I was cooking at 375* so take that into consideration. I'll be trying it on a low and slow pork butt soon and will report.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Mr1egg
    Mr1egg Posts: 364
    Once the hot coals hit the wood it seems to burn up and create dirty smoke if i put them in the middle. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    Mr1egg said:
    Once the hot coals hit the wood it seems to burn up and create dirty smoke if i put them in the middle. 

with a long low and slow, the small amount of wood to clean burning lump wont make much of a difference flavor wise
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    On a low and slow, the air (oxygen) level is severely limited so ANY fuel (be it lump or wood) will burn very slowly, and as the fire creeps from the lump to the wood it will heat that wood up to smoldering long before it starts burning which should mitigate bad smoke.  Are you lighting the top?
    Ya I light the top with a eggnighter 
  • Courtesy pigbeanus

For a pig and bean farmer, he sure didn’t post many cooks. It was all grammar and old, stinking meat. I say good riddance!

I half expect that he and Lit went off to start their own utopian bbq forum. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    Courtesy pigbeanus

For a pig and bean farmer, he sure didn’t post many cooks. It was all grammar and old, stinking meat. I say good riddance!

I half expect that he and Lit went off to start their own utopian bbq forum. 

that and he didnt know what side of a pumpkin to carve on......complete idiot
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I think people fret way too much about dirty smoke.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
    Have you actually followed for your egg, the pattern the embers move in over the cook? My fire moves from where I light it, in the center of the coals, to the back, and I would say a bias to the right side.  Knowing that, I put my chunks along that trail. I place them in the top 2" to 3", I think if they're in the belly of the beast (core of the fire), they just burn really fast. 
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,082
    edited January 2022
    @Mark_B_Good - I see the same general pattern burn.  I do light forward of center and a bit to the left to mitigate.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    If you are in the southern hemisphere, maybe the left/right bias switches... =)
    As a variation on the theme, for a hot indirect cook (like spatchc0ck chicken) where chunks will just burn up, I throw chips on the platesetter / stone.  
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Why is it that every time I see this thread, my brain sees Wood chuck Placemat?

Clinton, Iowa
  • nolaegghead
    This theory is just a theory, but it only *could* work in smokers where there's more airflow.  The fire moves around in a kamado and probably only a section the size of your fist is actually burning at one time (because there isn't enough airflow to allow any more to burn.)

That fire can and will migrate around the firebox, so if the wood chunks are not in its path, then they're not going to burn.  Also, if you light from the top, which you should do on a low and slow, the fire is not going to move DOWN because heat rises......that means you're not going to get smoke on the front half of your cook, which is when the meat is actually going take it in.

I can't tell you how many times I've pulled unburned chunks of wood out of the firebox that have been in there for 18+ hrs at 225F.  The fire just never got to them.  That's why I always use chips for low and slow.....better coverage and they do NOT burn any faster per pound.  BTU's are BTU's.

Dump charcoal in, light it, throw wood on it, and concentrate on more important things.
    Agree with everything except the BOLD section.  There is a certain amount of unpredictability in where the fire moves next, but it's generally where there is fuel and air.  You light on the top, it may move left or right or whatever, but it will dive down wherever it can find air.  I've found my top-lit fire at the bottom of a hole of burnt lump after 12 hours, lump on top still unburned. 

If you open the lid to grill and close the bottom vent, that file will stay at the top because that's where the fuel and air is.
    This theory is just a theory, but it only *could* work in smokers where there's more airflow.  The fire moves around in a kamado and probably only a section the size of your fist is actually burning at one time (because there isn't enough airflow to allow any more to burn.)

That fire can and will migrate around the firebox, so if the wood chunks are not in its path, then they're not going to burn.  Also, if you light from the top, which you should do on a low and slow, the fire is not going to move DOWN because heat rises......that means you're not going to get smoke on the front half of your cook, which is when the meat is actually going take it in.

I can't tell you how many times I've pulled unburned chunks of wood out of the firebox that have been in there for 18+ hrs at 225F.  The fire just never got to them.  That's why I always use chips for low and slow.....better coverage and they do NOT burn any faster per pound.  BTU's are BTU's.

Dump charcoal in, light it, throw wood on it, and concentrate on more important things.
    The problem with chips is that all they do is give off dirty smoke. I usually wait 30-60 min before I put my food on just to let the smoke clear up and turn into clear blue smoke. Chips are just giving off strong white smoke and there gone asap. 

I stopped using chips a while ago, the next day my food always smelled bad.
  • nolaegghead
    Whatever works for you is the right way to do it.

That said, chips don't inherently give bad smoke, must be something about your technique and chips (and maybe even perception) that do.
    edited January 2022
    Mr1egg said:

The problem with chips is that all they do is give off dirty smoke. I usually wait 30-60 min before I put my food on just to let the smoke clear up and turn into clear blue smoke. Chips are just giving off strong white smoke and there gone asap. 

Why would they give off any different smoke than the chunks if they have the exact same moisture content and are exposed to the exact same heat source/temp?  Unless you're using a drafty smoker that lets air get to them, they are very much the same.

I throw the chips and/or chunks on immediately before I put the meat on.  Otherwise you're just turning any flavored wood into charcoal.....which is going to have very little smoke.  

Are you using green wood, seasoned wood, or heat treated / kilned smoke wood?  I understand what you're saying--letting it burn for a little first two of those--but if you're running kilned wood chunks or chips, you're just throwing money on the fire.  Same goes for letting good, highly carbonized charcoal burn for anything more than 10-15 minutes.  We are doing the work for you on those--kilning the water out of the wood chunks, chips, and charcoal.  Otherwise you're completing that process yourself, and paying for water in a product priced by the pound.

.....and NOLA is correct, the fire can move down, but I've found it usually stays up top and moves around laterally since the airflow is moving up.  Either way kamado'ers light from the top on a low and slow because if you do it the other way around the fire can get away from you (since it's carrying the heat and igniting the charcoal above it.)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,082
    The above from @stlcharcoal just highlights why you should support Rockwood Charcoal and the small business he created and excels in this industry:  (For those recent members- Rockwood was not in the direct supplier role a few years ago.  The source for the shipment delivery was Firecraft.  However, they bailed from that market and within weeks Rockwood stood up their on-line option.  Game saver right there.)
    You are not gonna find such charcoal insights anywhere else.  The knowledge shared here is incredibly insightful.  Go forth and do the right thing.  Here's their link: https://rockwoodcharcoal.com/ 
    No affiliation but do support his bottom line and happy to do so.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mr1egg said:

Why would they give off any different smoke than the chunks if they have the exact same moisture content and are exposed to the exact same heat source/temp?  Unless you're using a drafty smoker that lets air get to them, they are very much the same.

I throw the chips and/or chunks on immediately before I put the meat on.  Otherwise you're just turning any flavored wood into charcoal.....which is going to have very little smoke.  

Are you using green wood, seasoned wood, or heat treated / kilned smoke wood?  I understand what you're saying--letting it burn for a little first two of those--but if you're running kilned wood chunks or chips, you're just throwing money on the fire.  Same goes for letting good, highly carbonized charcoal burn for anything more than 10-15 minutes.  We are doing the work for you on those--kilning the water out of the wood chunks, chips, and charcoal.  Otherwise you're completing that process yourself, and paying for water in a product priced by the pound.

.....and NOLA is correct, the fire can move down, but I've found it usually stays up top and moves around laterally since the airflow is moving up.  Either way kamado'ers light from the top on a low and slow because if you do it the other way around the fire can get away from you (since it's carrying the heat and igniting the charcoal above it.)
    Agreed: People worry too much about dirty smoke!  World class pit masters throw wood on top of coals all the time.  If your food tastes like dirty smoke then you are probably using too much wood.  
    Memphis  
  • lousubcap said:
    The above from @stlcharcoal just highlights why you should support Rockwood Charcoal and the small business he created and excels in this industry:  (For those recent members- Rockwood was not in the direct supplier role a few years ago.  The source for the shipment delivery was Firecraft.  However, they bailed from that market and within weeks Rockwood stood up their on-line option.  Game saver right there.)
    You are not gonna find such charcoal insights anywhere else.  The knowledge shared here is incredibly insightful.  Go forth and do the right thing.  Here's their link: https://rockwoodcharcoal.com/ 
    No affiliation but do support his bottom line and happy to do so.  FWIW-
    I am all in that charcoal.
    Memphis  
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,411
    Someone said:
    People worry too much about dirty smoke!  World class pit masters throw wood on top of coals all the time. 
    No, not all the time.  I've seen too many episodes on the cooking channels, PBS, and the 'net, where wood is burned down to hot coals, and then shoveled into the smoker, so the "dirty" volatiles were already burned off.  I love doing side-by-side experiments with rubs, brines, ice packs, etc but comparing two cooks, one using a stick burner fed with raw sticks and a stick burner fed with coals, is beyond my meager setup to test.
    I would dearly love to participate in such a test, however!  

I haven't seen @CenTexSmoker comment yet on this thread, but he was the guy who suggested the idea of having any smoking wood at the bottom of your lump pile, so the dirty smoke had to travel thru the hot lump and get cleaned up before it hits protein.  Since then, I've been doing that, and I'm still working on a practical device to push wood chips into the bottom of the pile thru the bottom vent (I DO have a device, but it ain't "practical" yet...)  I think it tastes better, but without a means to do a direct side-to-side, I can't swear by it.  

Scurvy:  when Life doesn't give you lemons

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    One of the things the fools people is the smoke from burning gunk inside the egg too.  We get complaints about smokey acrid smelling charcoal sometimes.  I get a pic of a dome covered in black sludge.....they do a clean burn, and suddenly the charcoal is burning smoke free.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Botch said:
    Someone said:
    People worry too much about dirty smoke!  World class pit masters throw wood on top of coals all the time. 
    where wood is burned down to hot coals, and then shoveled into the smoker, so the "dirty" volatiles were already burned off.  
    If it's burned down to hot coals, then that's charcoal.  The volatiles are long gone.

When you burn a log, volatiles burn first, that's the colorful flames.  Then the wood fiber burns with a yellow flame.  Finally the log falls apart into hot coals, burns super hot, with minimal smoke and flames......thats because all that's left is carbon (aka charcoal).  All of those other non carbon elements in the log have lower combustion points, so they burn first.

So what's the point of even using a certain species at that point?  Our charcoal is made from oak and hickory mainly, but can have some cherry, maple, or pecan it.  At 85% carbonization, no way can you tell the difference between any of those species.
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,261
    Harry Soo has a video on this:

https://youtu.be/X8Xwcj5feDg?t=120
    Mountain View, CA
  • nolaegghead
    Sciency , I like it.  
    Get a stick burner , problem solved 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian