Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked / Fried Wings

Options
I've had a couple packs of whole chicken wings in my freezer for at least a year.  I think I'm finally going to cook them for the Titans game Saturday.  I've never done the smoke/fry thing.  How what IT should I smoke them to, and how long should they fry?  I was going to do indirect 325/350 on the egg.
Franklin, TN

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    If you're going to fry them after, I wouldn't worry about internal temperature.  You just want to get the smoke on them and cook them as little as possible.  So I would go with a slightly lower temp, and smoke them for about 20-30 minutes and then fry them up.
    NOLA
  • KGilma2018
    Options
    Ok I'll try 275* for 20-30 min and then fry for a couple minutes.  
    Franklin, TN
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    We used to smoke them to completion. Eat them. Then fry the left overs the next day. That way when we fried them we didn't have to care at all about the finish temps. Just color.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    I used to do it that way until I got a joetisserie. Now I get crispy smoky wings with very little effort. 
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    You’ll want way more than 20-30 min. 

I smoke them till done, you actually want to benefit from the breakdown of the fat as well. 

The fry is just to get the skin absolutely crispy. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,753
    Options
    cook then til done 170/175 internal, indirect, low and slow, pay no attention to the skin in the egg. use extra smoking wood as it loses flavor in the fryer. if your going to sauce with a buffalo style sauce or bbq style you can smoke that too, stirring the sauce often helps incorporate smoke into the sauce. the frying is mostly for the skin so quick and hot
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    I have been talking about trying this for yrs, never have.  Here is meat church video I saved awhile back 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb-m_sqc9PE
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,753
    Options
    looked at some notes. baste them with watered down mustard, then the rub. put them on the grill still wet as it will pick up more smoke before the fry. last time i did these i made a sauce of mayo yogurt and cajun rub and mojo sauce, added more squeezed lime
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • KGilma2018
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas!  
    Franklin, TN
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    has anyone tried frying them first, then smoking? :o=)B)
    Options
    Sometimes I eat them then smoke them. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Another bidet fire?  That’s a shame.
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Another bidet fire?  That’s a shame.