Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature controller for BGE.

Does anybody know of a controller that is run solely by Batteries? All controllers that I see need to be plugged into electricity. Please let me know.
Thanks

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    PartyQ 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • The Flame Boss controllers, including the Egg Genius, have an optional battery pack.  I’ve never ran my Genius from electricity, only the battery, which I think lasts around 18 hours or so.
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • I have one of those little pocket battery packs that you carry on vacation to top up your phone. The Smobot works perfectly fine with it.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    FlameBoss will run off any 12V power source.  You can use a backup battery for a garage door or alarm system, jump pack, or you can buy one from them.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I often run my Guru using a jump starter. The drain is miniscule.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 675
    Thermoworks has a battery for their Smoke X + Billows. I'm going to wire up my own with a small 12V sealed battery so I can not have to rely on an extension cord for a small amount of power.
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    OhioEgger said:
    I have one of those little pocket battery packs that you carry on vacation to top up your phone. The Smobot works perfectly fine with it.
    Same here; have to recharge it twice a year or so.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    Botch said:
    OhioEgger said:
    I have one of those little pocket battery packs that you carry on vacation to top up your phone. The Smobot works perfectly fine with it.
    Same here; have to recharge it twice a year or so.  
    ^^^^ Agree^^^^
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• I run my smobot off a rechargeable battery unless its below 20 degrees or so, in which case I'll run a cord.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    If you want to use a temp controller then just get a pellet smoker and leave the BGE to the men. There I said it. 
    NW IOWA
  • WeberWho
    Philly35 said:
    If you want to use a temp controller then just get a pellet smoker and leave the BGE to the men. There I said it. 

I'm not sure about that....  ;)

Minnesota
  • danhoo
    rochar3 said:
    Does anybody know of a controller that is run solely by Batteries? All controllers that I see need to be plugged into electricity. Please let me know.
    Thanks
    Thermoworks smoke X4 ( or X3) and billows has a battery pack.

Or get a 12V battery and an inverter and run anything
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 900
    Smobot can also run off a battery pack.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 270
    The controllers I have all run off battery or AC.
    - BBQ Guru Dx2 AC or run it off RAV Power Smart+ battery bought off Amazon
    - Flameboss 200 AC or off that RAV Power Smart+ battery bought off Amazon
    - Smobot AC or off that RAV Power Smart+ battery bought off Amazon
    The Next two have onboard batteries but…
    - Fireboard FBX 11 can run off AC, onboard battery for about 8 hrs or off that RAV Power Smart+ battery bought off Amazon.
    - Tappecue Touch can run off AC, has an onboard battery (not sure of duration do not have cruise control option) or the RAV Power Smart+ battery bought off Amazon.
    I bought the RAV battery was on sale and was recommended to me because the Smobot uses so little juice this battery will not auto shut off with low juice draw. Think it set me back $17. It is a 16750 mAh. 

V/R
    6balurs
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Tip Top controller runs off the exhaust heat. No power required.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Tip Top controller runs off the exhaust heat. No power required.
    That little device was clever as hell, I need to find mind and use it again.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Philly35 said:
    Heh, I read this and laughed because I thought it was a joke, but now I see all the dislike flags and I’m not so sure…
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • danhoo said:
    Thermoworks has a battery for their Smoke X + Billows. I'm going to wire up my own with a small 12V sealed battery so I can not have to rely on an extension cord for a small amount of power.
    How did that go.  Care to share some details?  I have to wonder why not just use a power wallet like for charging phones when off the grid for a while.  Some have a quick charge port that I assume would charge and run the Smoke X or Signals and Billows.  I'd think they'd be a cheaper replacement for the Thermoworks battery.  Or am I wrong that they would work?
  • danhoo
    danhoo said:
    How did that go.  Care to share some details?  I have to wonder why not just use a power wallet like for charging phones when off the grid for a while.  Some have a quick charge port that I assume would charge and run the Smoke X or Signals and Billows.  I'd think they'd be a cheaper replacement for the Thermoworks battery.  Or am I wrong that they would work?
    I didn't see this reply until now. sorry for the delayed reply.

The power cord into the thermoworks Smoke X4 is a standard USB-A on one end USB-C on the other end for connectors, but they only wired up two wires and there is no circuitry to enable USB power delivery. So you can plug in the cable to a battery and it does work, but it only delivers 5V, one or two amps.

This is still on my to-do list, but I've only used the billows a couple of times in the last year, and its easy enough to just run an extension cord out to the egg.

• RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Smobot IMO, then again, what do I know?  I at least know that my Smobot outshines my BBQ Guru hands down.  Before buying you should try out their tech/customer support.  That alone may help steer] you in the right direction.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • danhoo
    edited April 2023
    I've learned to use my egg more better since lockdowns happened, and I only use a fan for overnight cooks, and I set it 5 to 10 degrees below my target temp after I get temp stable and meat on. 

It's basically a low temp insurance so I can sleep.