Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rural Internet - TMobile 5G to the rescue

Options

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    My signal is better but you have 5G. Thanks man
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    This list will make you think (Avg. internet speed by country).

https://www.speedtest.net/global-index#mobile

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    So far, service has been rock steady.

the UP is more impressive to me than the down..

very clean install as well.

That was a world I lived in for quite sometime and can appreciate the clean install.
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Did some final adjustments and tweaking.  Think I am going to stop messing with it now, and just enjoy it.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • alaskanassasin
    Options

Overall I am happy, it still lags during peak hours but it is way better that my previous providers so far. Canceling att today.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

Overall I am happy, it still lags during peak hours but it is way better that my previous providers so far. Canceling att today.
    80Mbps would still make me extremely happy, especially compared to phone hotspots and the 16Mbps I was averaging.  80 is plenty to run everything I need.  It is now just a game to see how fast I can get.  My son is the one who benefits from the insane down speeds.  He used to take is game systems over to friends house so he could download the online games.  At our house it would 18-20hrs for some of his games.  Now it is 10s of minutes.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options

This is my att which is not hateful but during high demand times it will drop below 4mbps.  I am lucky to have options though, we are close enough to a interstate to ping off of towers I am pretty sure are there for people passing on through.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    My buddy around the corner has spectrum and no idea that the struggle is real! My road has 4 houses and is probably 4 miles long so no chance.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    My speed it way under what it used to be.  I’m told I need a new router.
    edited January 2022
    Options
    My buddy around the corner has spectrum and no idea that the struggle is real! My road has 4 houses and is probably 4 miles long so no chance.
    Sounds like my situation.  Private road with a few houses.  We are now surrounded by master planned communities, but no dice for us on the telecom front.

Based on my T-Mobile experience so far, I wouldn't get any hardwired service even if they offered ot to me now.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited January 2022
    Options
    The internet gods saw my post.  TMobile went wonky last night for the entire region.  Only got 9Mbps for about 6 hours.  Seems fixed this morning.  I hope my little experiment didn't bring their network down.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Phone call with att went rough…

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Phone call with att went rough…

I bet!  Cancelling DirectTV (owned by AT&T) was no simple matter.  Did they finally let you leave?
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    She tried to sell me direct tv, and cell service, she offered to escalate to tier 2 tech support, offered $10 off per year.. Then she literally told me if I cancel the service they can’t promise that I’ll be able to sign back up later. I was doing major paperwork so enjoyed the distraction and messing with her.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    She said if I just sign up for DIRECTV then I wouldn’t have to stream during high demand.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    She said if I just sign up for DIRECTV then I wouldn’t have to stream during high demand.
    Glad to know they haven't changed.  We won't fix your main problem, we will just sell you more of our mediocre products.  Did she offer 12 months of NFL Sunday Ticket w/Red Zone?
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Didn’t get that far. I said “we cut the cable, where have you been?” She said “well your still hooked to a cable.” Good stuff I finally had enough and told her t-mobile is kicking the pants out of your service and at a lower price point, please just cancel my service.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,648
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Unbelievable. Tmobile just called me out of the blue to ask about our service. I told her it is great except at high demand times it drops to about 4-5 mbps, on the cusp of or slightly buffering the tv.
      She looked up our tower confirmed I knew where it was, she said quiet a few people were on it.  I told her I haven't said a word to anyone about it because I don't want it over loaded.  She said based on this phone call they will not allow anymore customers to subscribe to the service in our area. Consequently it will not get any worse, and in the next couple months they will upgrade a few towers in our area to allow for more customers.
        Whether its true or not, I received more information on that phone call than I did in 2 years of ATT domestic, international phone calls, and physical service technician visits.

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Unbelievable. Tmobile just called me out of the blue to ask about our service. I told her it is great except at high demand times it drops to about 4-5 mbps, on the cusp of or slightly buffering the tv.
      She looked up our tower confirmed I knew where it was, she said quiet a few people were on it.  I told her I haven't said a word to anyone about it because I don't want it over loaded.  She said based on this phone call they will not allow anymore customers to subscribe to the service in our area. Consequently it will not get any worse, and in the next couple months they will upgrade a few towers in our area to allow for more customers.
        Whether its true or not, I received more information on that phone call than I did in 2 years of ATT domestic, international phone calls, and physical service technician visits.

TMobile does limit subscribers in areas to maintain the service.  That wasn't marketing.  That is why it is good to get it when it's available, because it does not mean it will always be available if you wait.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options

TMobile does limit subscribers in areas to maintain the service.  That wasn't marketing.  That is why it is good to get it when it's available, because it does not mean it will always be available if you wait.

I could tell she was the real deal, she reassured me no new subscribers. the time line on upgrading the tower though, like everything else is probably more in flux
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If you get a cable service person on the phone and they are trying to upsell you rather than cancel your service, tell them you are recording the call for quality purposes.
    Options
    I have been having a lot of 5G dropouts.  Speeds dropping to around 15Mbps.  Talked to TMobile a few times, they were very nice and said they were upgrading towers, but shouldn't be having the problems I have been having.  Decided to re-aim the antenna and another cluster of towers.  These towers are around 4 miles away.  It instantly reconnected to 5G and speeds went way up.  Upload speed is much higher than on the other towers I was aiming at.  If you have remote antennas, don't be afraid to occasionally re-aim.  They are updating networks very quickly.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Decided to re-aim the antenna and another cluster of towers.  These towers are around 4 miles away.  It instantly reconnected to 5G and speeds went way up.  
    You probably crashed an airliner.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,648
    Options
    Our T-mobile home internet has gone to crap the last week so I called them, amazing customer service, they are going to send me a new modem, their latest version with updated software.   They want the old one back....  will the new one be compatible with the antenna?   Most likely I will have to buy a different pig tail.

Most of my calls have been to overseas call centers, but their customer service has mostly been outstanding, a hour after getting off the phone someone called to ask about the interaction and was I happy with everything and the results.

At one point they asked for my ssn to look up my account and since I gave them a bogus one that was a dead end, however I found my account number in a email so no sweat.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options

alaskanassasin give me a call when you have free time.  Ref your internet.

9376050681. Jd.  
    Columbus, Ohio
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 940
    Options
    JD I'm going to call you too. I'm not looking for love or anything, just simple companionship is fine to start. If it evolves to something bigger though, we shouldn't fight it. Life is too short and if I'm a magnet and you're like the side of my fridge, I'm gonna use my body to keep lottery tickets stuck to your side, that's all. If you can keep a gallon of milk cold while I'm doing it, all the better.

Ybabpmuts 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Our T-mobile home internet has gone to crap the last week so I called them, amazing customer service, they are going to send me a new modem, their latest version with updated software.   They want the old one back....  will the new one be compatible with the antenna?   Most likely I will have to buy a different pig tail.

Most of my calls have been to overseas call centers, but their customer service has mostly been outstanding, a hour after getting off the phone someone called to ask about the interaction and was I happy with everything and the results.

At one point they asked for my ssn to look up my account and since I gave them a bogus one that was a dead end, however I found my account number in a email so no sweat.
    My understanding is the new modem will still work with the antenna.  If you call Waveform (they actually answer the phone) you can tell them what you have and they can email you the correct instructions for the new modem.  They are very helpful.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Follow-up:

T-Mobile has been working pretty well, much better than every other option.  Only thing, everyday around noon ot stops for a few minutes then starts again...also around 10pm it slows way down for about 20min.  Still works, but TV drops in resolution.  Overall, still very happy.

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac do you mind me asking where you are located. Here in rural east GA T Mobile sucks something terrible. I haven't called but after reading this thread maybe I will. I've read other blogs and forums that have said it's just terrible everywhere. We have zero options out here except t mobile. It works reasonably well maybe 40% of the time. I restart the modem 8 or 10 times a day...no exaggeration. Thanks for any advice.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    ksmyrl said:
    @Ozzie_Isaac do you mind me asking where you are located. Here in rural east GA T Mobile sucks something terrible. I haven't called but after reading this thread maybe I will. I've read other blogs and forums that have said it's just terrible everywhere. We have zero options out here except t mobile. It works reasonably well maybe 40% of the time. I restart the modem 8 or 10 times a day...no exaggeration. Thanks for any advice.
    I am in Southern AZ.  My other options were Centurylink 6 Mpbs @ $50/month or an over the air (think high powered wifi) which got us 12 mbps @ $119/month.

I took a flyer on T-Mobile.  It was not great with the built in antennas.  Location and even the orientation of the unit made a huge difference.  I could set it in one location in my house and just by rotating it a few degrees at a time it would go from 5Mbps to 12Mbps.  I installed the external antennas and carefully oriented them.  Turns out my strongest signal was not the closest tower.  I now get between 100 - 400 Mbps.  It was rock solid for months, but recently I have had to reset it every few days.  I haven't bothered to troubleshoot it yet.  It takes 3 minutes and can do it from my phone.