Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are you drinking....now?

Options

Comments

• Leopoldstoch
    Leopoldstoch Posts: 1,182
    Options
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Legume said:
    I’m going hard for bottle kill!!

Oh good luck with that.   I hate to be negative but I can’t stand that overpriced stuff.   The distillery is on the way to my buddy’s ranch we have stopped in a couple times.   

Just can’t get into it but if you like that’s all that matters.   

Enjoy the night!!
    I’m sure it’s not for everyone, there has to be one out there you don’t like.  

Happy new year to you.
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    @Legume yep you’re right for sure, can’t please everyone and to each their own. 

Have a great, enjoyable, evening!
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options

Options
    I’ve been binge watching “the restaurant” on Netflix. Swedish(I assume) with subtitles. Not bad. Cheers!

WT masters keep one. 

• TechsasJim
    Options
    Great one there and Skål (since you’ve been watching a Scandinavian series).  
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Belle Meade reserve. 

• TechsasJim
    Options
    Well not that I’m drinking this but did stumble across this in the soap aisle at the grocery store recently.   Hmmm

• fiber_induced_deuce
    Options
    A couple of you high profile guys don’t need that soap, it must be leaking out ya pores by the bucketful.  That soap is for posers compared to you walking liver spots.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Here's a recent (at least to me) new line from Four Roses:

It is a blend of 6 and 7 yo bourbons encompassing six of their mash bills.  
    Excellent pour.  Price point around here $55.  And I can find it on the shelf... FYI-
    That is my favorite Four Roses. Stopping sharing it on the internet or the hipsters are going to find out and make it $90/bottle. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• pgprescott
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Here's a recent (at least to me) new line from Four Roses:

It is a blend of 6 and 7 yo bourbons encompassing six of their mash bills.  
    Excellent pour.  Price point around here $55.  And I can find it on the shelf... FYI-
    That is my favorite Four Roses. Stopping sharing it on the internet or the hipsters are going to find out and make it $90/bottle. 
    Preach. 
    I have several bottles of SBS and single barrel in my bullpen at all times. I’m a fan and like Frank says, it’s fairly priced. I’d love to get some barrel proof and limited edition stuff. Oh well, Some day. 😁
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    Need some fluid to watch this basketball game.  Wreck ‘em
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    Apparently Kentucky Owl works.  19 Tech takes down 1 Baylor
  • pgprescott
    Options
     Nice pour for sure. Big 12 is gonna be brutal this year. Tenacious defense throughout the league. Congrats on the win. 
  • TechsasJim
    Options
     Nice pour for sure. Big 12 is gonna be brutal this year. Tenacious defense throughout the league. Congrats on the win. 
     Thanks and for sure, Big 12 will end up beating themselves up.  Too much great talent with nothing but in-conference games the next couple months.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    A ginger pear bourbon cocktail:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    edited January 2022
    Options
    From a monastery in Spencer, Mass:

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Diesel_Hokie
    Options
    Hopslam just hit our local stores today.  It’ll probably be in stock less than a week and then it’ll be long wait until next January’s annual release…
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    edited January 2022
    Options
    CTMike said:
    From a monastery in Spencer, Mass:

Those are some serious beers.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @paqman - never a doubt regarding your pre-emptive work in the face of the pending storm.  Don't be a hero to make your doctor's appointment especially if she/he decides to close for the weather.  However, you are used to handling this quantity of snow.  
    You need to open another bottle and make a serious dent so you get another green light to empty.   =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    edited January 2022
    Options

Made these tonight John, 6/6 loved them, great drink.

I kept the thinly sliced ginger from making the simple syrup and floated a few in each drink.  Still hot, but tamed.  The rest are soaking in some syrup and bourbon now for future use.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Legume said:

I kept the thinly sliced ginger from making the simple syrup and floated a few in each drink.  Still hot, but tamed.  The rest are soaking in some syrup and bourbon now for future use.  
    Yep, we really liked them as well.  

I did follow the recipe to the letter, including the ginger in the syrup.  I’ll be curious to see if you notice a difference in final flavor, as the syrup amount is rather small compared to the bourbon and pear juice.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Legume said:

I did follow the recipe to the letter, including the ginger in the syrup.  I’ll be curious to see if you notice a difference in final flavor, as the syrup amount is rather small compared to the bourbon and pear juice.
    Has the recipe been posted here?  I quickly scrolled up and can’t find it.  Please share 😃😁😃

paqman said:
    Legume said:

Has the recipe been posted here?  I quickly scrolled up and can’t find it.  Please share 😃😁😃
    Sure.  I'll spare you the link to the official recipe, as it's one of those annoying ones where you have to scroll past pages of fluff before getting to the actual recipe.  

I had a recipe that used a bit of pear juice, which of course is not easy to find in small quantities. So ... we had a bunch left over and what to do with it?  I figured there had to be some cocktails that use it and googled around to land at this one.

It's basically a kind of riff off the gold rush.  First, you make honey syrup (equal parts water and honey, brought to high heat until dissolved).  The twist that @Legume mentions above is that you throw in some thin slices of ginger before you start heating, to infuse the honey syrup.   Strain after it's cooled and you have yourself some honey-ginger-syrup that's part of the cocktail.  

The cocktail is made from:
    ice
    2 parts bourbon
    2 parts pear juice
    2 parts lemon juice
    1 part honey-ginger syrup
    top off with a splash of ginger ale, to taste

You can garnish it with some candied ginger, plus lemon and pear slices, or whatever you want.  

It's not a terribly stiff drink - it's actually less bourbon than the gold rush, and it's more on the refreshing side.   A bit more difficult to make but worth the extra effort, especially if you already have pear juice on hand.  
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Doing dry January but looking forward to trying this February 1. 50/50 mix of 14yr and 8yr. 

I'm dry this month too. =)

I have the 14 yr and the 15 yr and they are great. I like the 15 better because it seems a bit more complex but the 14 is really easy to drink. Very sweet and "smooth". Almost too easy to drink. It's crushable. I would think that with some younger stuff (relatively) would be great. Enjoy @ 2-1!