Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can I smoke a Brisket and pork butt at the same time

I have a xl. Need to do this for New Year’s Day dinner. 

Comments

• Absolutely.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Most certainly.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    If you have one XLBGE to work with, and you're planning on cooking both at the same temp, then yes.

More importantly, can one chew gum and walk at the same time?

(JK. Hope your cook turns out great!)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking said:
    If you have one XLBGE to work with, and you're planning on cooking both at the same temp, then yes.

More importantly, can one chew gum and walk at the same time?

(JK. Hope your cook turns out great!)
    Lol. Thanks for the help. Have happy new year
  • Put the beef on the top rack, in case the pork causes any diet restriction issues. 

Happy new year. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Sounds like a good time
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Put the beef on the top rack, in case the pork causes any diet restriction issues. 

Happy new year. 
    I would try and lay them at the same level. Otherwise the drippings from one, will fall on the other. Not an issue if you don't mind brisket drippings on the pork, or vice versa. But, if you are using different rubs, the flavors will mix. Depends on whether you're cool with that, or not. 

Its been a while since I've seen an XL up close, so not sure if its feasible to lay them both on the same grid. It'll still be great,  if you have to stack them. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    If the side-by-side works as suggested by @caliking that is the way to go.  If you have to stack 'erm then my default is always the brisket over butt.  The brisket may need a bit of care and attention during the cook, pork runs quite independently.  Top shelf affords easier access.  Besides the brisket bark is a key cook outcome-with the pork any drippings from the brisket will just enhance the final pulled pork product.  FWIW-
    The key to success is recognizing that each will finish on their own term:  It's the feel for both and the butt gives you the added indicator of when the bone pulls clean.  
    Great eats await.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    I’ve got an Xl, they should both fit side by side. Only concern may be an edge of the brisket sitting over the edge of the plate setter. 
  • Jcl5150
    Jcl5150 Posts: 280
    edited December 2021
    I just did this two nights ago on my XL.  I did a 17 pound brisket before trimming and a 9 pound pork butt.  Threw them on side by side about 10:30 at night locked in at about 250 with post oak and peach chunks.  Woke up, wrapped the brisket in butcher paper and put the butt in a peach nectar bath.  Pulled both at around 12:30 as they were probing like buttah with internals of 200.  FTC’d until slicing and pulling for our big family party about 4.  Not too many leftovers were to be had as the family tore it up!!!  You should have no problems doing them both together!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    You can. But if you do you might blow your chance at needing a second Egg with your wife. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.