Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long have you worked at your current job?

Options

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,128
    Options
    MotownVol said:
    Going on 33 years at the same company.  Been acquired twice.  First 12 or so years were great with several promotions, fun and challenging projects, etc.  

Then company leadership changed and the next 5 years were tough.  Then company leadership changed again and got even worse.  So bad I had made up my mind to leave, but before I could find something else the leaders were all fired and the new leaders were a total breath of fresh air, so I never left.  Take about crazy quarterly management, that was us.

Those leaders were also let go after the company was acquired the second time, but the new ownership is even better.  No more 60-65 hour work weeks.  I work about 50 hours a week now, which I think is fair.  

I’m now the old guy that knows everything about the company and feel appreciated for my industry knowledge.   If I can hang in for another 4 or so year, I will gladly ride off into eggsville.
    Sounds like Chrysler/Mercedes/Stellantis
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    16.5 years for me. Graduated school in Boston, landed an interview at an investment firm back home in So Cal and been on the same team ever since then. Except for the fact that I run the team now. Small company if looking at employees (~3k globally) but we manage over 2.2 trillion in assets. 
  • CornfedMA
    Options
    There’s some great advice here. My .02- You'll be hard pressed to find a better time to seek new employment. The dynamic has changed drastically in the last 20 months. The pandemic has a lot of people reevaluating their professional and personal lives and there’s a massive percentage of the work force changing jobs. Companies are working hard to retain and attract talent, leaving those of us looking for new opportunities with a tremendous amount of leverage in seeking a new employer. Best of luck. 

FWIW, I’ve been at my current job about 3 yrs and getting restless. Have had a few conversations with companies about other opportunities, and have been surprised by their aggressiveness. Definitely a sign of the times. The timeline from initial phone conversation, to virtual “interview” to in-person meeting and offer is moving much faster than it did 36 months ago. 
  • 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 235
    Options
    Botch said:
    55Kevy said:
    I had the same employer for 38 years, retiring at 59.5. In those 38 years I had 17 or 18 different assignments that took me from Louisiana to Canada, Colorado to California, Kazakhstan and Indonesia. Glad I left when I did: I don't think I could stand the Corp Culture now.
    Marines, Army engineer, or...?  
    None of the above.. I worked for an multinational oil and gas firm, Corp = short for Corporate.

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• ValleyGirl
    Options
    Retired July, 2016, moved to the Ottawa Valley August 2016.  Before that  5 years in a family owned butcher shop in Etobicoke, Ontario.  Learned how to cut meat and everything that goes with that, also ran the front of the store.  It was a great learning experience. Before that worked in an Italian import food specialty shop.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,849
    Options
    25 years at the same institution.  There have been some promotions along the way on the academic/administrative side, but the basic core of what I do hasn't really changed.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,540
    Options
    Retired July, 2016, moved to the Ottawa Valley August 2016.  Before that  5 years in a family owned butcher shop in Etobicoke, Ontario.  Learned how to cut meat and everything that goes with that, also ran the front of the store.  It was a great learning experience. Before that worked in an Italian import food specialty shop.
    Is the butcher shop still around? Our youngest's family lives in FordNation.
    canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited December 2021
    Options
    14 years ending a week from today!! I went from employee to owner in that time and am now selling out.  

More time for bbq and charity.
    Congrats on the ride!  Looking forward to seeing more of your epic cooks and charity work.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    8 years to the day in my old role, 5 different engineering roles 2 sates and ran an office for them.  now 2.5 years in my current company and moved back to engineering from the program office as of last week, 2022 is going to bring some changes and i am excited.  only 30 years to go.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,411
    Options
    6 years in the "every day is Saturday lifestyle."  Would that I were able to continue to play the young man's game when I was "keeping the world safe for democracy."  I'm way beyond that.  
    Some great advice above regarding things to consider.
    "For those on the cusp of joining the Saturday lifestyle, you will know when it's when."
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Did 41 years in the Electric Utility, but agree with Frank 100%.  You know when it’s time to get out, which was 3 years ago for me! Love retirement.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Not me, but SWMBO has worked at her current job for 8 years. The last few days we have been talking about it and she feels she needs a change. Has a potential opportunity lined up where she would make significantly more money, work from home full time and have the same amount of time off. Her issue is she likes the human interaction of her job now. Full time WFH would make it where she's only talking to people via zoom. She's a little unsure about that.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    edited December 2021
    Options
    @TEXASBGE2018…

man I would do that in a heart beat. Human interaction gets old after awhile. 

I’ll give y’all an update in about 36 hours
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Not me, but SWMBO has worked at her current job for 8 years. The last few days we have been talking about it and she feels she needs a change. Has a potential opportunity lined up where she would make significantly more money, work from home full time and have the same amount of time off. Her issue is she likes the human interaction of her job now. Full time WFH would make it where she's only talking to people via zoom. She's a little unsure about that.
    It’s not for everyone.  Did she have to work from home for an extended period during the pandemic at all?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    It’s not for everyone.  Did she have to work from home for an extended period during the pandemic at all?
    She did, she enjoyed it at first but was looking forward to being back around people. She's just kinda torn. To her the only real downside to this opportunity is that lack of direct human interaction. I'm the opposite. If I never went back to an office again I'd be perfectly content so I'm not the best Influence.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @alaskanassasin - sick pup or just routine?
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina
      we aren’t really sure what’s going on, two months ago his front ankle was bothering him, took him to the vet they couldn’t find anything so we went to Medvet a big hospital in cbus. 
      They think his immune system was attacking it, possibly cancer and nothing good, so he was on prednisone for a month or so and finally he seemed better.
      Fast forward to last week and his back leg is swollen at (the elbow) I think it was a injury this time.  so back to the vet, not getting good vibes from her but we did x ray and possibly found a crack in his bone and I’m thinking good, not cancer, but she said it could be weakening his bones or side effects of prednisone so we’re going to consult back with medvet.
      Long story 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,628
    Options
    That’s sucks @alaskanassasin, hate when my dog is not happy.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Thanks @Legume he loves to work and ride.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @alaskanassasin - sorry to hear that.  Hope he's on the mend soon.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    @alaskanassasin hopefully your pup heals up and you both can put this behind you.  I must say, you are an awesome owner to make sure all issues get checked out.  Good on you!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,411
    Options
    @alaskanassasin - way to get after it and stay on it.  Run everything to ground so you know what you are dealing with. 
    He is a great navigator in the big combine.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • frognot
    frognot Posts: 103
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Today is my last "official" day to work. Health issues over the last year (spent over 80 days in the hospital during 4 admissions since early November 2020) makes the last "real" day that I worked was in October 2020. I was a respiratory therapist that worked mostly in a large NICU in Dallas since March 1987. Worked mostly adult ICU since November 1978. So I guess was at my last job for 34 years.
    Allen, Texas          LBGE, Orange Thermapen (fastest and easiest to find)

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited December 2021
    Options
    @alaskanassasin I hope it's something he gets over fast.  I hate when animals are injured.  SWMBO likes to watch those veterinarian shows, whereas I can't watch them, makes me too sad.  Human ER shows and people surgery don't bother me for some reason.  Maybe I'm misanthropic.
    Thanks guys, He will be fine I think it is just a coincidence. @DuckDogDr Your pet owners may be irritating and irrational but the animals you take care of appreciate your care
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,031
    Options
    My mother in-law had to put her 15 year old dog down last night. My mother-in-law is one strong lady but you could tell she was crushed when seeing her this morning. So sad. I hate days like these. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Job i had in before/during/ post College I had for ~10 years, even tried to stay there.

~3 years
    ~3 years
    ~11 years
    ~6 years
    ~5 years
    4 months
    5 months currently

ended 11 year job because of one A&^hole boss
    ended 6 year job as they agreed to a role change for 3 years, in that time frame they eliminated everything I wanted to do.
    ended 5 year job after the Senior VP Austrian A&^%hole soured my biggest customer and they continually got in shouting matches- dropped sales 60% in two years and I got all the blame.  Company and I agreed to a departure package.
    Left a job after 4 months as they were so underfunded and were never going to be.  I was getting paid well to do almost nothing, and it drove me crazy.

Just had a customer ask me if I was leaving this job.  He likes me and is going to start moving business my way but wants to make sure Im going to be here first.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president.