Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vacuum Seal freshness question

Options
So I made a pork butt on thanksgiving day. It was done in the afternoon, we ate a bit of it and then it sat out for an hour or two. Then it went into the fridge. It's been in there ever since wrapped in foil. My question is, if I vacuum seal it today will that prolong it to allow me to eat it say this upcoming Friday? Just don't want to mess around with getting sick.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

Comments

• jetman96
    jetman96 Posts: 127
    Options
    If you vacuum seal and freeze it, it will be good for Friday. Even better, you can drop it in either a hot water bath or use sousvide to heat it up.
    Cincinnati, OH
    Large BGE
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    It’ll be fine.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You will extend the shelf life in the fridge if you vacuum seal it (reduce exposure to air) but it will be fine as is for Friday.  

That said, if you vacuum seal a bonus will be ease of reheating.
    I would let it ride in the refer for a week
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I think it’s fine too- might be a little dry is the only issue. I find If you can put a little chicken stock in it before bagging or when you reheat, you’ll be happy. I like reheating on a skillet, ymmv. 

I haven’t tried apple cider vinegar instead, but it sounds good!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Thanks all. I put a little water in with it before sealing it. I plan on reheating Friday in the crock pot with a little sauce.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Thanks all. I put a little water in with it before sealing it. I plan on reheating Friday in the crock pot with a little sauce.
    Have you ever re-heated pulled pork in the sous vide?  That’s always my go to and it turns out surprisingly well.  Worth a shot if you haven’t before.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Have you ever re-heated pulled pork in the sous vide?  That’s always my go to and it turns out surprisingly well.  Worth a shot if you haven’t before.
    Don't own one. Never really felt the need to. 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Don't own one. Never really felt the need to. 
    Dude.  They are worth it for the chocolate pots alone.
  • bbracey21
    Options
    For reheating purposes I’d vacuum seal it.
    I do a ‘poor mans sous vide’ aka a pot of water on simmer. Take the vac sealed bag of Q and put it in there and let it heat up. Works perfect for me. Also do this with brisket leftovers. 

Side note- I had a anova sous vide for a couple years but rarely used it. With all the other gadget needs and wants I sold it for almost what I gave for it.